1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inviting JW's and Mormons

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons knock on your door - will you invite them in?

If you don't, are you loosing an opportunity to witness?

If you do, are you in danger of being brainwashed?

Open for discussion ( please limit discussion to 99 pages :smilewinkgrin:)

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I've shooed them away essentially with little conversation at times and I've sat down and engaged with them at length to share my issues with their stances. None of these encounters resulted in any changed minds.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

God grants faith and salvation to the elect. I want to be effective in communicating the gospel but he will elect some and pass over others.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds. 2 John 9:11

I believe in accordance with Scripture that if their purpose is to come with the intent of sharing false teachings, we are not to let them into our homes or greet them.

If they want to come be taught the truth, that's different. But do not allow anyone into your home whose purpose is to teach falsehoods.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Similarly to Zaac, I don't let them in the house. I will speak with them on the porch or in the driveway, but not inside. I do not bid them godspeed, either. The verse before those quoted above reads "Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward." We work hard and strive for the Lord. Allowing a bringer of a false doctrine into our home brings with it the risk of undoing all that we've worked for.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Amen!:thumbsup:

7. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

This

And this.

I'll would speak with them outside, or even meet with them in a neutral place if they are willing, but they would not be allowed in my home.

Unfortunately this is all theory atm since I never get those kinds of visitors.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

It's pretty clear-cut in scripture. Don't invite them into the house. There's no wiggle room.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great topic Salty! Here are some links. I believe they will she some Biblical light on the subject! Of course, like all things, everyone will have an opinion. However, as for me and my house, I hold to 2 John 10, and the porch or front yard is more than adequate when wanting to discuss issues concerning them and Jesus, the only way to heaven!

http://www.gty.org/resources/bible-qna/BQ020112/Should-Christians-Be-Hospitable-to-Cult-Members

ALSO: http://www.compellingtruth.org/allow-false-teachers-home.html

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Moooooooood? Really?

So you are arguing that the teaching or sharing the Word of God depends upon what "mood you are in?" That is interesting, to say the least! I wonder how others feel about being in the "mood" to share the Word.

What does Timothy say about this (being in the mood)? Here is the NIV version of 2 Timothy 4:2, "Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction."

Somehow, I think, you already knew this, UoT?

#10 righteousdude2, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  11. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I would have to say that if you are going to take the "don't let them in your house" literally, then you also have to take the "don't greet them" literally. I am of the opinion that to not receive them in you house is more like do not give them shelter and food so they can share their doctrine. As we know, when the apostles went to a city, believers would house them while they taught. This started in the old testament, and is where we get the term "prophet's chamber".

I believe the passage is simply saying to not give them a base from which to spread their lies.

12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a human being. Sometimes I'm up for the back and forth with a Jehovah's Witness and other times I just say that I'm a born again Christian comfortable with my beliefs and not very much interested in their tract handout. Simple is that.

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what you mean, UOT, I just saw the in the mood thing, and couldn't let it slide. I think I know you well enough that you will not let 'mood' stop you from sharing the truth with anyone. God bless!

14. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks brother.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always let them in with the understanding that they had to listen to "my side".

Yes, I let them have their say.

And it did make a difference at least in one of them.

HankD