1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Iran arrests 14 Squirrels

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by NiteShift, Jul 24, 2007.

1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

[​IMG]

"A few weeks ago, 14 squirrels equipped with espionage systems of foreign intelligence services were captured by [Iranian] intelligence forces along the country's borders. These trained squirrels, each of which weighed just over 700 grams, were released on the borders of the country for intelligence and espionage purposes. According to the announcement made by Iranian intelligence officials, alert police officials caught these squirrels before they could carry out any task."

LINK

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the Iranians are a little squirrelly.:thumbs:

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes, but they're vigilent.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Were they arrested out in the open or did the Iranians have to tree them?

Were they willing to come in on their own or did they have to bait them in?

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

An Iranian squirrel was spying on my wife at work yesterday.

6. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

:applause: :laugh: :thumbs:

7. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

That was worse than what they put into "The Onion"

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

They've squirrelled away a nice way to negotiate.

BTW, "squirrelled" is the longest single syllable word in the English language, but only when pronounced properly.

I recently was teaching a student from Oxford, and we were talking about differences in American English and British English, such as jag-war or jag-u-ar, and she relayed to me a story about when she was visiting Italy. She had been there for weeks, couldn't communicate them, and then one day, she saw an American. She walked up and said, "It's been weeks! It's so nice to finally find someone who can speak English!"

She said the lady without missing a beat looked directly at her and simply said, "Squirrel".

We then gave up on "jaguar" and worked on getting her to stop using two syllables on "squirrel".

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

wot r u talking about......it completely escapes me....

10. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Good point. They have a prisoner-exchange in mind

You've lost me on that one HoG. Maybe it'll come to me after awhile...

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They've turned the little spies and renamed them after Americans from the Cut and Run Brigade and are infiltrating them back into America with tiny portable nuclear devises strapped to their backs.

Reid,Kennedy,Hillary,Obama,Murtha,Durbin,Pelosi,Harkin,Waters,Schumer,Carter,Levin,Dodd, and Kucinich

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You know, both Kennedy and Hillary have that slight overbite, gives them a slightly squirrel-like appearance....now you're getting me worried.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

We could simply bite the bullet and exchange them for the list that Carpro posted.

Ever watch Stever Irwin? Ever see him try to pronounce "squirrel" (skwurl) correctly? Ever see the little girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory try to say it? It comes out "skwa rell". It seems impossible for some of them.

My student thinks it's hillarious! Steve Irwin seemed to find humor in it as well. But, neither could say "skwurl".

There are a few on here who know of that which I speak.

14. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I've always pronounced squirrel with two syllables, so that seems ok to me. What had me baffled was this: "She said the lady without missing a beat looked directly at her and simply said, "Squirrel". So I guess that is sort of an inside joke for viewers of Steve Irwin?

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Not really. I've had this conversation with several people, mostly from Australia and England, about the pronunciation of it. I've had a few people who write it down and ask me to say that word.

But, my wife was watching Steve Irwin, and his wife was picking on him because he was talking about "sqwi-rels", and she kept saying, "It's one syllable: skwurl" He'd try it again, she would correct it. My wife thought it was funny because I had just had this conversation with a lady from Oxford who cannot say it with one syllable.

Oxford gives both pronunciations as being correct (but with the single syllable preferred, if I remember correctly) though, just as jag-war and jag-u-ar are both correct. But, I won $50 (plus a bunch of girly junk like bath beads a day spa, etc.) in a radio contest that wanted to know the longest single syllable word in the English language. They had the word "screeched" (but there are two other words with 8 letters they missed), but "squirrelled" is longer, and is correct, according to Oxford with either a one or two syllable pronunciation. I had to take the book to the station to show them, at which point I got to go on the radio with them for a while. This was back in the big city of half a million, BTW, not here in my dinky little town.

Here's another little English trivia tidbits: "epidemiology" is the shortest 7 syllable word in the English language.

OK, and now for the trivia question: What's the shortest English word that contains all 5 vowels?

How about the three English words that contain no vowels?

16. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Congratulations on that one. I am still waiting for my own 15 minutes of fame.

That is easy HoG. Facetious. Ok I looked it up.

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Facetious" is the shortest that contains them in order, but not the shortest that contains them all.

BTW, this type of trivia used to be a lot more fun before Google. Same with brain games. I used to have a column in the college paper, and sometimes I'd do puzzles that were really difficult. But, I've posted them on message forums, and people can simply look the answer up.

I do the color on the radio show with the local high school team and last year we gave away some raffle tickets that someone donated. We used trivia questions, and in order to keep someone from just Googling it, we made them come up to us in person. Everyone in the stands was listening with earphones to hear the commentary and the behind-the-scenes stuff. (We stand out in the crowd to do the show, but we're under a tent.) Turns out that the winner called family in the lower 48 (his immediate family was with him at the game), got them to Google the answer.

Here are the three questions:

1. What is the largest city in the United States?

2. Who is the highest paid athlete in the world? (2005)

3. In 1943, with so many men off at war, Pennsylvania could only field one pro football team. What was it? (No one won this one.)

18. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Steagles. Only know that one from the movie of the same name.