1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IRS Tax guide for Churches

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rufus_1611, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

IRS Tax Guide for Churches

Is church compliance with tax rules voluntary?

Is abortion considered to be "fundamental public policy" since the state has deemed it to be legal? How about gay marriage? Is the IRS saying that a church which is 501c3 is at risk of losing their exemption if they speak against "fundamental public policy"?

Since the document doesn't seem to contain a definition, I contacted the IRS to have them define "fundamental public policy" and after being put on hold for 30 minutes, I had a sweet lady say that she'd have an agent call me back within 15 days, as she couldn't find a definition for the expression. Thus, I would be delighted to hear from anyone that can define this term and how it impacts a 501c3 organization.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I didn't get any takers to the original post so here is a recent example of how this issue seems to be affecting the freedom of speech of pastors. While, this is not so much the "fundamental public policy" issue as the prevention of political speech issue, it still seems to be the IRS telling pastors what they can or can not say.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The clean cut idea would be for a church to not worry about being tax-exempt and then the church can legally engage in political activity without any concern about the tax law.

Taking a stand does not always come without a cost.