1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is a 1 1/2 hour Sunday morning service to long ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jeben, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

That's rather mean and doesn't add anything constructive to the topic.

Original poster - It really depends on the person. We're all different in many aspect and feeling like your service is long does not take away from who you are as a Christian.

Our Church service is long as well (haven't been in a few years - Sunday's are on of my only study days for college), anyways ours starts at 9:30 and ends at 11:30 am.

9:30-9:40 Announcements.
    9:40-10:00 Worship (this can run over an extra 10 minutes).
    10:00-11:00 Sermon (this is known for ending either 10 minutes early or running 15 over).

Personally, I have a hard time staying awake. The lighting does not help, and I am the one who gets up with the kids most nights and in the mornings while wife sleeps in. Usually fall asleep during sermon and feel really bad. Its not the sermon, it is usually amazing! Just everything else, plus that darn lighting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Okay.....so you add to the topic by declaring you do not go to church for a couple of years,and when you did you fell asleep during the sermons........okay. ....got it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm wondering how much of this is attributed to the many false prophets we have all around us today? Do these preachers discuss the "Straight & Narrow" gate or do they tickle the ears of Gods people......that path only leads to destruction.

How many have told me that they have "NO DOCTRINE" but they will teach the love of Christ. Too many where I live.....and that is not what I am looking for. And I wont go to those places because they are built of sand & not a rock foundation.....and their fruits bear it out. All sorts of heresy is evident in those places. So these are not truly Christ's churches, and they are bound for destruction.

Next we have the ones that clearly tell you they are different, but upon examination are they really? Mostly they flaunt their orthodoxy but forget about discipline, and substitute legalism for discipline ......everything Christ warns you to run away from. Yes indeed, these are all designed to be destructive to your Christ driven soul.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beg to differ, It was the sermons that put you to sleep!!! They probably did NOT Challenge you to walk the straight path (which is necessary to you if your a true Christian). Instead you probably got a nice & comfortable lecture which would put any passionate red blooded Christian to sleep!!!!

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm, then there are those who use their position to feed ON the sheep. See the subtle difference? the former, I'm afraid, are all to few while the later are in the majority.

so what I am attempting to emphasize, is you can attempt to press going to church, being an active member, create guilt for not going even but remember the Lords warning of the False Prophet/the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.

The false prophet very rarely tells you anything about the holiness, the righteousness, the justice and the wrath of God. He always preaches about the love of God, but those other things he never mentions. He never makes anyone tremble! He wont deny harder truth but he wont emphasize it either (people are apt to walk out if he does).

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh, where did you get that from my post? Or are you going off on a tangent?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get what from your post? I was merely expanding on your post. Am I not allowed that capability? Smile

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then, you are giving an affirmative answer to my second question. No probs.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I think the service needs to be as long as the Holy Spirit wants to speak. I'm about fed up with the church schedule getting set around the nursery schedule and the school schedule and the desires of weak immature Christians who have no desire to be fed from the feast that is God's word.

And if that means thinning out the church of some folks, then so be it.

We listen to bosses and coworkers and teachers for hours on end during the week. I would think we would want to give God some time to corporately speak to us to re-energize us to take on the mess that's ever present in the world.

I keep telling our pastor that I'm gonna take that digital timer that we have down front. Keep preaching until the Holy Spirit says you're done. If that's two hours, then do it. If it's two minutes,then sit down and let the Church say Amen!

My two pennies.

#89 Zaac, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, provided you have the HS driving the preaching. Otherwise its mere babbling.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Is a 1 1/2 hour Sunday morning service to too long ?

That was just bothering me. But I know Saints who spend more time than that every day praying and fellowshipping with God first thing in the morning.

Our church choir and pastor are gonna be at Brooklyn Tabernacle this summer. And I've been up there before. They spend hours in prayer during the week. For Tuesday night prayer, the sanctuary is packed.

If the pastor doesn't leave us hungry to be fed more, it may be because it's a word from the pastor and not a word from God. There is indeed a difference.

But when God starts to speak through His man in the pulpit, my ears perk up, my pen and notebook come out and the hands go up in praise and hallelujah!!!

Fill my cup Lord!
    I lift it up Lord!
    Come and quench this thirsting
    In my soul!
    Bread from heaven,
    Feed me till I want no more.
    Fill my cup, fill it up.
    And make me whole!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMENThumbsup

13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why the legalistic whohocky and assumption that a longer service is more spiritual, or that we get some sort of points or proof of salvation and maturity by attending them?

I think that whole idea reeks of Puritan teaching. I know I am saved because God's Word assures me I am. There is nothing to prove. Puritans endlessly look for proof in their lives, I find it in the Bible and taking God at His Word.

Church is a voluntary association for the propagation of the gospel and edification of the saints.

If I find your service detrimental to either of those, I am free to find a better place to attend.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, sometimes people, when sitting for a while, even if it's the most rapturous sermon end up dozing because of physical issues. This is where I think having a few tall cafe tables in the back could be useful. Kind of like standing desks. You CAN have tall stools to go with them but if I were tired, I would totally go to the tall table in the back, get out my Bible and start learning!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry I missed the post where anyone said those things. Could you kindly point them out to me?

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are a church hopper?

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I come under your description. When I was much younger, I'd nod off during a sermon. Why? Because, I was able to relax during a service. Now, I have a heart condition which leaves me with very little stamina. I don't make every Sunday morning service. Sometimes, I'll get up with every intention of going into church, have breakfast, then find my pillow is calling and go back to bed for another three hours. Other times, I do make it into meeting. But, I nod off. Though, I don't sit in the main auditorium.