1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is a church by any other name still a church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Pastor_Bob, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there any significance in naming a church something other than "church?"

The Tabernacle was an Old Testament temporary dwelling place of God. The Temple was Old Testament as well. Today, Christians are the temple of the living God (I Cor 3:16). Jesus said, "Upon this rock I will build my "church."

As far as I can tell, the Greek word ekklesia is almost exclusively translated as "church" or "churches" with the exception of a few times that it is translated "assembly."

So, are there any biblical ramifications in naming a church something like Grace Baptist "Temple" or Grace Baptist "Tabernacle" instead of Grace Baptist "Church?"

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I've heard of it being called "Such & Such Fellowship"

But I believe--to tell you the truth---I believe that too many of us "whimp out" on the church as a name----I feel like that many are almost "ashamed" to have their church called a church---

But to me---the church and the Lord Jesus are not identical---but they ARE inseperable!! And to "whimp out" and be ashamed of one is to "whimp out" and be ashamed of the other!!

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think it is pretty arrogant for someone to call other groups wimps because they do things differently without having any idea why they do them.

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

The Demoniac Fellowship and Banana Club" probably wouldn't qualify but it does seem to me that a l;ot of people want to distance themselves from being called a church. Perhaps it is a reaction to the poor job some churches have done in acting like a church.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The use of "Temple" and "Tabernacle" started in England among the dissenters from the Church of England. At that time, in England, it was illegal to call anything other than the Church of England a "church." That is why Spurgeon's church was called Metropolitan Tabernacle even though it was a Baptist church. [​IMG]

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Whoops from a wimp - our little church plant is called Naas Baptist Fellowship [​IMG]

7. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least you don't wimp out from using the name "Baptist," which many would like us to do.

8. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Well, technically, we're CrossPointe Church. But most of the time when we refer to ourselves, we just say "CrossPointe". So I guess that makes us just sorta wimpy.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Well, that just burns the best of me up, too!!!

10. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

We don't have "Baptist" but do have "Church" ... what does that make us?

11. guitarpreacher

Well, that just burns the best of me up, too!!! </font>[/QUOTE]Yesterday we had a Catholic lady visit us for the first time and also had another first time visitor who is a drug addict and only occasionally visited an AoG church as a child. The drug addict is going to take some more work, but with the catholic lady, the hook is set and all we have to do is reel her in. A year from now she will be every bit as much baptist as any of you are. I'm confident about getting the addict as well, it's just going to take a few more casts. Neither of the two would have ever set foot inside our church if the banners out front said CrossPointe Baptist Church.

And I don't know who's trying to talk you guys into dropping baptist from your name, but as for us, we made the decision based on what was right for us, and couldn't possibly care less what you name your church. Viva-La-Difference.
    [​IMG]

12. jw

jw New Member

Not really. If memory serves, this all started over in England. The Church of England was (and I believe still is) the state church and only they could/can use the word "Church" in their name. That's why Spurgeon had Metro Tabernacle.

Actually the word orginally simply meant assembly. It is also used of the mob at Ephesus. It didn't really become a technical term as we use it until a few years later.

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "God does not dwell in temples made with hands..." God is Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth." "Unto Him(God) be glory in the assembly by Christ Jesus, throughout all ages, world without end."

The modern connotation of church is some sort of grandiose building with million$ spent on purple and gold and stained class and other icons left over from paganism. What any of that has to do with the assembly which Jesus is building (Mt. 16:18), I have not a clue.

Ekklesia means: the called out for a purpose. In our application, the mission/purpose is to carry out the commission given by the Lord Jesus.

We are happy to use the words Baptist and Church. We have added the words Sovereign Grace and Bible to help clarify what might be found inside the doors of our simple meeting place. We have no relics, crosses, icons or stained glass. We do have a pulpit with the words of Jesus: "This do in remembrance of Me". We also have a modern piano which we use to praise The Lord. If our piano player is absent we praise The Lord anyway.

Selah

Bro. James

14. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Like guitarpreacher, yesterday I spoke with a Catholic lady, a couple with virtually no church background (she is a skeptic at this point), and an unchurched couple who has a lot of questions. It is most likely none of these 5 would have entered the doors of a designated Baptist church.

That's the only argument that matters to me.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its not the name on the marque that turns people off---its the people that turn people off---doesn't matter if baptist is plastered on every square inch of all four walls or not----it doesn't matter if the best FBI and Scotland Yard detectives can't find the name Baptist with a magnifine glass----buddy---the carnality will still there---won't it???

The name "church" doesn't bother me

The name "baptist" doesn't bother me

Carnality does though!!

You let carnality and worldliness rear their ungodly ugly head in the assembly---and it won't matter if there's a name there or not---people will be turned off!!

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion: the term "church" is a translated word.
    If the term used instead of "church" conveys the sense of assembly then it's probably okay.

Rob

17. guitarpreacher

That tells me that you don't get out among unchurched people enough.

18. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thing is,

if people don't want to come to a church because of the name Baptist, than they don't want to come to a Baptist church. If you then take Baptist out of your name, but still CLAIM to be Baptist in order to get people to come in, then aren't you being deceptive about it?

Im out among unchurched people all the time. Most Catholics I know won't go to our church, not because its Baptist, but because they are Catholic. They won't go to any church thats not Catholic. Does this mean that we change our church's name to be more Catholic sounding so we can "trick" people into coming?

Is your point in talking to these people to see them saved? or to get them into your church?

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Where is it written that the denomination of the church must be on the marquee?

A few years ago I was in New York. I attended several churches that didn't have their denomination on the marguee: Trinity Church (Episcopal), Marble Collegiate Church (Reformed Church in America), and The Riverside Church (ABC). These churches are over 150 years old, and two of them (Marble and Trinity) are over 350 years old. It seems that advertizing one's denomination is a relatively contemporary concept. I don't object to it, but don't see it as a requirment. Its presence or absence on a marguee is neither deceptive nor boastful.

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

That tells me that you don't get out among unchurched people enough. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm in and around them everyday, Brother!! Every unchurched person I've ever talked to has never told me they won't come to my church because our middle name is Baptist. They will tell me, though, that they won't come because of of "So & So" who goes there ain't "right" with the Lord--or they have a "gripe" with So & So deacon there---or they heard "Sister So & So" tattle and gossip-

I can plop my self down in the biggest non-denominational church in the state of Mississippi--who would not DARE to remotely call themselves BAPTIST---and I can get myself involved in the "Inner Core" group(every church regardless of denomination HAS an inner core)---and it won't be long before I will begin to pick up on some of the most ungodly, immoral "talk" that would make any stomach turn---brother---it isn't just baptist

again--it isn't the name---its the people! Its not the name that makes my tummy churn---its the people!!! The name "Baptist" is right---Baptist people ain't!!!!!

46 years of being a Baptist---and 17 years of Southern Baptist pastorate---and I have never---never once---had anybody tell me---"The reason I don't go to your church is because of that name--BAPTIST!!"

Bro. David