1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is a Free Will BAPTIST church still considered a Baptist Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I grew up in a Free Will Baptist Church. When I was 18 I started attending a Baptist Church where I was saved and baptized. After backsliding on the Lord for several years I rededicated my life to him through his convicting power in Sep. 2004 at 4:00 am in the morning. The Lord placed on my heart to go back to my home church. Obviously this was because he had work for me to do their (I teach a Sunday school lesson on my churches radio broadcast, teach the teen Sunday school class, and design the church bulletin with my wife). I said all of this to ask, is a Free Will BAPTIST church considered a Baptist Church. I mean I understand the OSAS versus Free Will debate but other than that the two denominations are pretty much the same (expect for differences that all local churches have).

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The short answer is yes.

The medium length answer is:
    The FWBs are descended from the General Baptists while most of the rest of the Baptist tribe is descended from the Particular Baptists. I have to write most as some Baptists in the United States have their roots in Continental Baptist movements while the Generals and Particulars are English movements.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is.

4. AAA

AAA New Member

By looking at the denominational title Free Will "BAPTIST" is apart of those who call themselves BAPTIST.........

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

What exactly IS a Free Will Baptist? Everyone has a free will.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see, in the military you dont have a free will. Wonder if there is any connection:D

7. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Free Will Baptists don't believe in eternal security (OSAS). However there are many different salvation beliefs in the FWB denomination. Some believe that 1 sin will cause you to lose your salvation (I don't believe that). Others believe you are always saved unless you turn away from God. Turn away as in denounce Christ, not turn away as in backslide.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

certainly:

eternal security has never been (historically) a Baptist distinctive.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, the answer that historically there have been general and particular baptists is true.
    Basically the dividing point has been the particular atonement vs a general atonement.