1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is a pastor to rebuke?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by swordsman, Jan 31, 2003.

1. swordsman

swordsman New Member

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

I was a member of a BBF church, my pastor was teaching on the responsibilites of the pastor.

He said that this verse was the Apostle Paul giving instruction to the young pastor Timothy.

He went on to say that a pastor is to be:

Instant in season and out of season - I agree

Reprove - I agree

Exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. - I agree.

But the pastor is not to rebuke, that is the Holy Spirit's job. I strongly disagreed with this position.
    Several other pastors in town agreed with him on this, all BBF(Springfield Bible College)graduates.
    But the pastors I met that did not go to college but institutes said the pastors job was to rebuke.
    Before I am rebuked on how I handled this, it was discussed with him and no one else until after I left this church over this and other other issues.
    To me the scriptures plainly teach that the pastor is to rebuke and not to leave it up to the Holy Spirit ALONE.
    What is your stance or viewpoint?
    I feel this is stemming from a reluctance to name sin as to not offend anyone or hurt the $$$$.

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The need here is to have a common definition.

The pastor is to convince, rebuke, and exhort (NKJV).

Basically, the preaching role is to include what is wrong, what is right, and how to do it. Obviously, whatever Pastor Larry says is the final say on this.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Hey, this is great, can I take out words I don't like? :rolleyes: :D

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you ask him on what basis he would regard the words on either side - reprove and exhort - as referring to the work of the pastor, and the word in the middle - rebuke - would refer to the work of the Holy Spirit? Was this based wholly on the fact that he believes this is the Holy Spirit's job, or was there something in the text (context) that brought him to the conclusion? It might also be interesting to note that the first word - reprove (elegcho) - is also used in reference to the work of the Holy Spirit in John 16:8, "...he will reprove the world..."

5. swordsman

swordsman New Member

We had a long talk and the gyst was that it was not his place to name a sin pretaining to living a holy life,I was there 5 years and not once did he name any sin by name except adultry.
    When I was asking the other BBF pastors there answer was first no, then I asked about rebuking sin, they said define sin.
    When the others were asked the answer was an automatic yes with no clarification needed.

6. swordsman

swordsman New Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

7. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many already have ..... :(

Bob

8. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine

Yes, the pastor is to rebuke, carfully, prayerfully and in the appropriate way, but definately yes. Consultation with other elders may well be appropriate.

Regards
    Bob

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My pastor rebukes sin from the pulpit everytime he preaches and he calls the sin by it's original name (i.e. drunkard as oppsed to alcoholic etc.).

If there is known sin in someone's life, he will go to that person privately, as instructed in the Bible.

He is our shepherd and he would not be doing his duty, IMO, if he failed to guard his flock and warn us against the 'wolves in sheep's clothing'.

There are too many preachers today who are preaching to "itching ears". I thank God for our preacher and his stand against sin (even when it hits home).

[​IMG]
    Sue

10. rufus

rufus New Member

Paul said to Titus (1:13) Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

2 Timothy 2:24-26: 24. And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,
    25. in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,
    26. and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

A pastor is to rebuke gently and patiently and in humility and in much prayer.

Rufus :(

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

It depends on how you use the word Pastor. It comes up only once in the bible Eph 4:11. The translation of this is shepherd. Not Overseer of the local congregation.

That office is called "Bishop" 1Tim 3:1. It is his role to rebuke on a basis of clear biblical reference.

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The role of pastor is found other places however, such as Acts 20:28 and 1 Peter 5:1-2. In those passages the role of pastor is assigned to the same person as the role of overseer and elder, thus showing that the elder/overseer/pastor is all one office and one person.

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Acts 20:28 and 1Peter 5:1-2 are both being written to Elders, not Pastors as found in Eph 4:11.

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The elders in Acts and 1 Peter are being told to pastor. If you look up the words used, they are the verb form (poimaino) of the noun form (poimen) in Eph 4. The elders/pastors/overseers are the same person. The elder is the pastor is the overseer. That is clear from the text. The different names are distinctions in function, not in person. The same person fills all three roles according to the NT.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am an elder/pastor/shepherd/overseer - lots of job description names for the exact same single office. :cool:

And I rebuke sin and sinners with regularity. And even when I have irregularity. :eek: