1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is All Sin Equal?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by skyjoy00, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet it's shockingly prevalent in the Church. It's a way to avoid dealing with serious sins.

Takes me back to Paul's admonition of a serious sin in the Corinthian church.

1Cor. 5:1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.​

I could just imagine how modern churches would have dealt with this. "Yes, but we're all sinners, and this is just one of many sins. We're about love and forgiveness, not judgment, yada yada yada."

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read past the OP, so sorry if this is redundant.

Sin has two consequences.

1) Any sin, every sin, results in being in an unholy status, resulting in "eternal punishment." So from this perspective, all sin is equal. Further, since we all were "made sinners" (Romans 5:19) we are all condemned to "eternal punishment" from conception.

2) In addition, any sin, every sin results in saving up wrath (punishment specific for that sin) so the punishment will be "more tolerable" for those whose sinned in less egregious ways. Hindering the ministry of Christ is a big no no. John 19:11 is just one place where this truth is taught.