1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is America better in race relations since Holder/Obama?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting how some want to turn this into a political discussion. It isn't a political problem. It is a social problem that is slowly, all too slowly, becoming less of a problem.

You fellows who want to turn this to a political discussion, how about giving your views on this as a part of our society ... outside of politics.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is nothing more than a political tool to try and shut down any criticism. They tried the same thing with the climate change debate by calling people "deniers" as if that would attach some emotion to it. Calling people racist bring with it a level of emotion that drives people to act blindly. They also use racism as an excuse to further their so called social justice. Without it they would not have a leg to stand on.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting how some want to turn this into a political discussion. It isn't a political problem. It is a social problem that is slowly, all too slowly, becoming less of a problem.

You fellows who want to turn this to a political discussion, how about giving your views on this as a part of our society ... outside of politics.

I think that you were the first one to mention politics, Crabby, but then you are not a racist because you were born upper class. You know, Fatherhood of God, Brotherhood of Man, Neighborhood of Martha's Vineyard.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When race is used as a political tool to gain sympathy in order to move an agenda forward it is as much a political issue as it is anything else.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rephrasing the question so it is coherent: Are Americans better with race relations since Obama took office?

Yes, I think we are making slow, steady progress. The administration and the media are not helping, however.

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you condemn white politicians who used race to move their agenda in the past?

In you area are the various races getting along better now than before 2008?

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the words of a very wise man:

"...It is not better for white racists, whoever they are, as electing a black president was simply something they can not accept. For them matters are worse as their world is changing and changing in a way they hate. Thus they will never accept anything Obama does as good, even if it is...."

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I said it is not a political issue or problem. It is a societal issue and problem ... one that politicians use for their own purposes.

Society is changing and that makes some people very unhappy.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make an interesting comment, about Obama being a boring speaker. I tend to agree.

I have been watching the series on the Roosevelt's on PBS and made the comment this evening, why is it that our current politicians are such poor speakers compared to Roosevelt, Wallace, Wilkie, Happy Chandler, Huey Long, Alben Barkley and other politicians of that era?

The beginnings of the movement toward civil rights was begun during FDR's time in office. He backed away from some ideas, but did some good things.

Love him or hate him, FDR changed our country and I believe in many ways for the better. Where I grew up everyone would still have been lighting their houses with coal oil lamps and candles if it had not been for the REA begun by Roosevelt.

He changed our society. It is changing now and, as I have said, that upsets many people. Race relations is getting better. I see it daily in my life and I pray that the relationship between all the races continue to improve.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good View!

It is exactly this social interaction between the children who have brought an end to a lot of bigotry, racism, and while I hate to say this, homophobia!

As you see, UoT, there is good and bad, but you are correct in your thoughts, our children and their children will make the difference.

I have never had a problem with other races. I do not feel superior or inferior to other races. My, now passed aunts and uncles, were, sad to say, and I think leaving Detrit at age nine helped me to see more mixing of races in California, and it made for a more open mind!

However, and there's always going to be a, however! I believe in the laws of this country, state and local areas to be followed/obeyed. And when I see those laws broken or ignored, I do speak my mind about the law breaker or group breaking the laws.

With that said, a lot of folks try to call me a racist when I speak out against, let's say, the Black Panthers. Or, RAZA. Or, those skin-heads, and motorcycle groups which are predominatly white.

The problem in this society is, a person is considered homophobic, racist, etc., when they voice opposition against law breakers and people who take advantage of society or other people, and usually, the group of persons will have a skin color, and that is when those looking to jump on you, pounce.

That problem may never leave society. Even with the children leading the way! Some groups do not take well to having others critize members within their race that are anti-social, and that is a shame!

We all know that our country has pockets of people and neighborhoods that one could call "white trash," Barrios, or ghettos! And when a person of another color says addresses those problems, we are called racists! Pity, because it isn't racism, at least from where I stand.

Tell your wife, she is spot on. Truthfully, the hope for the nation and the world are in the hands and hearts of all the children! Shalom!

11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The children will also have to end the racism of gays, which is evidenced by white gay mecca of San Francisco and black gay mecca of Atlanta. Actually, Mecca should be the gay mecca.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

My goodness. Y'all act like Obama and Holder totally dictate what happens with race relations in the United State. :laugh: Did George Bush and Dick Cheney do the same when they were in office? i know black people who thought they did and it was just as silly a statement when they said it too.

And right here s the problem that so many white people make. You want to THINK that race doesn't matter. But the fact that you would say that two black men have set race relations back 50 years shows that you believe it does matter.

Some of yall seem to like to do the whole Ralph Ellison Invisible Man thing when it comes to skin color. But as much as some like to say it doesn't matter, it's obvious that it still does.

Just look at some of the attitudes on this board that stereotype all black people and the many who have a problem with black people and tell me that skin color really doesn't matter.

Perhaps the fact that political conservatives who think that nothing is racism just because they are tired of hearing it are the ones who have set race relations back.

This administration hasn't done much to influence race relations in this country. That's just the perception of white people who think that all Blacks are part of a hive mind controlled by Obama, Holder, Sharpton and Jackson.

This board has done more to contribute to negative race relations than those guys have.

The fact that you've got Christians thinking that the way you treat others is based in liberal or conservative politics is what has really influenced race relations in this country because politics has revealed in those who are supposed to be God's people some disgustingly nasty, stank attitudes that look NOTHING of Christ. All over politics.

Which again is why you mention Obama and Holder

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, when did Presidents start dictating race relations?

So they are doing what every White Administration has done prior?

Sounds like what prior administrations have done but "politically conservatives" ignored because there wasn't a black man in the White House.

Y'all are full of it. Talking about race doesn't matter but yall want to make like a Black man suddenly gets into the White Hous e and race relations just fall apart in this country. ridiculously funny.

14. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Race relations are much MUCH better. Obama and Holder have united the races of this country! Barack has managed to stop the epidemic levels of black-on-black violence and AG Holder prosecuted those Black Panthers for voter intimidation. What they did was brave, ppl! I can't believe that you all don't see it. smh

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Front Page

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And now one would be prone to ask again, what does a President have to do with race relations, perception or otherwise?

If relations were perceived positive at a certain percentage before he took office, what's the correlation with the White House and a Presidential administration?

Are they saying that the percentage has decreased amongst Whites because a black man is in office and correspondingly because Whites have become meaner about race, the perception of Blacks about race relations being positive have also decreased?

Or are they saying that black people have gotten meaner about race during this time and thus that has caused a decrease amongst Whites and their perception of positive race relations?

It's as though white people think that because the most animated , caricature of the stereotypical black person that can be found is portrayed as the "voice" of black people, that this is what most Blacks think.

I can't think of a single black friend of mine who thought the election of a black president was gonna usher in some golden age of post-racial relations.

That means that folks would have to be acknowledging that they thought there were race issues before Obama. But to listen to folks during the Bush years, not many thought that there were race issues.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama fans the flames of racism:

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So do people on this board. So do the news media. SO do racially prejudiced people throughout America.

It just appears that people want to place the onus of race relations on his shoulders because he's black. Did we talk about Presidents affecting race relations so much when there were white Presidents in office?

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the Kennedys never stopped talking about it. Democrats are not racist but all Republican are racists, birthers, bigots, and bitter clingers. 0bam@ even exposed Christianity as a false religion and the video is on YouTube to this day.

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

ANd what does this have to do with blaming The current President and his administration for a decline in positive race relations?

Honestly I read stuff like this story and it sounds like a bunch of folks mad over politics who have to blame this man for every thing . He has to be the cause of negative race relations because he's black when none of the same folks said the same thing about white Presidents.

It's just silly.

Again, that has nothing to do with a decline in race relations.