1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is America's Identity as a Largely Protestant Nation Ending?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Nevada, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Nevada

Nevada New Member

For all of US history, Protestants have been the majority. Even before the Revolution, they were, in the 13 colonies. This reflected in the culture. Now, the US Census Bureau is projecting that in the next 4 decades, the population of the USA will grow from 308 million to

438 million!

By the year 2050, and it's already 2010.

As hispanics will be a large segment, we might see the USA become a majority Roman Catholic nation.

I'm curious as to what others think of this. What aspects of US life will it impact? Politics? Or, will it not matter? It's a huge shift in the USA, and one hears little about it!

Oh, here are a couple of pertinent links:

http://www.fairus.org/site/News2/17...icle&id=22761&security=1601&news_iv_ctrl=1761

http://www.bobedwardsradio.com/bob-edwards-weekend/

#1 Nevada, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
  2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Good question!

3. adisciplinedlearner

adisciplinedlearner New Member

As I understand it, we will soon have no Protestants on the Supreme Court---just Catholics and Jews. Hopefully, the conservative Catholic justices will prevent the USA from drifting further and further to the left.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both Roberts & Illito (sic) are very moral & conservative men. The abortion question is always a lightning rod but pro-abortion support is a no, no among religious Catholics & both men are very religious Catholics. Note the Catholic Bishop of Scranton banned Joe Bieden from receiving communion.

Actually I believe Mitt Romney has a strong shot @ POTUS in 2012.....could you accept a Conservative Mormon as your president?

PS: Our brand new NJ Governor Chris Christy & his family are all Conservative RC's . Take a look at his political record & tell me you wouldn't want that guy running a key political seat in the USA....maybe even President. Conversely would you prefer a guy like Mark Sanford?

#4 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
  5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I don't really expect the United States to become a Catholic culture, like Latin America for example. The greater danger is that we are becoming a secular culture like Europe. Nearly all Christian denominations are losing numbers, and those that are not are either static or have a slowing of their growth. The Catholic Church is also losing numbers if you look at just the American born Catholics.

We should also fear the rise of Islam in this country just as we have seen in Europe.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Our culture is money based, not religion based.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Why is this bad and how would it affect the body of Christ?

8. brucebaptist

brucebaptist New Member

the Bible tells you what to expect.

Jesus said, "will I find faith on the earth (when I return)? meaning there will be little TRUE faith on the earth when He returns.

He said, "as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the end"... so there will be little TRUE faith on the earth as we near the end.

He said, "things will wax worse and worse..."

Its gonna get much worse as we near the end. if the nation becomes more catholicized that would fit His prophecy because catholicism is not true faith. people can become more 'religious' but less faithful to Christ.
    and catholicism is mostly secular and very little sacred. it teaches to spend 1 hour a week in church and then go live your life how you want. that is secular.

the True faith teaches that ALL things are sacred. we are to sacrifice our lives as the reasonable sacrifice... my job is sacred, my marriage, my health, my hobbies, etc... i do ALL things for the glory of God.
    false religions do not teach that (exception of islam, but their god is satan). all 'Christian' religions teach people to go to church (churchianity) and be a good church goer, but go live the rest of your life however you want.... the True Faith teaches the opposite. the True Faith teaches that every thing we do is for the glory of God. my life is a sacrifice for Christ. i died when He died.

Baptists are not protestants, although they should definitely protest the evils of all false religions. but protestants came out of the reformation, the baptists did not.

but yes either way, as we near the end, we will find less and less True Faith on the earth and in this country. this country is no different than any other. we are not a Christian nation, what a joke for anyone to say that. there will be more and more of the false religions, take your pick. the definition of a false religion is SO easy... if it doesnt line up with the Bible, its false religion...

the protestants range from being Biblical to being blatantly false, (lutherans). but there will be less Biblical protestants and more false protestant churches as we near the end. more ecumenical churches. more churches crying "unity". more 'world' and less 'Christ' in the churches, proving that men's god, is themselves.

whats a lot more important than 'americas protestant population' is... how many folks are in the True Faith? how many folks are in Christ? if this county is 100% protestant but 90% of them are hellbound... whats the point? we have to be in the True Faith, which is Christ. we must abide in Him. and obey Him. being protestant, catholic, baptist whatever means nothing, if that person is not in Christ. it doesnt matter if we think we know Him, He must know us... Him knowing us does not come from us being protestant or baptist... it comes from obedience to the Word of God. if we love Him, we will keep His Word...

#8 brucebaptist, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
  9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

First, C4K, I am going to assume you are from Pennsylvania rather than Ireland. If it is the latter, you understand European culture much better than I do and maybe you should ignore the rest of this post.

Being in a secular culture is bad because the Christian influence is diluted. The first example that comes to mind is soccer leagues. When the large majority of people went to church on Sunday, having games and practice on Sunday morning was unheard of. Today it is routine. I drive by a soccer complex on the way to church and during season it is filled with soccer players. This means a child must either violate his conscience about attending church or forgo soccer. There are many other similar situations that I could allude to but you probably get my point here.

Also, we are moving from a place where the Christian culture was embraced by government to the present time where it is tolerated. Soon tolerance will be left in the dust and government will be hostile toward Christians and their churches. This is not an environment conducive to carrying out the Great Commission. The hard core will remain of course, and may even grow stronger, but it will become smaller and more isolated as time passes.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ugg.....how detestable. Soccer?!?

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I could do a paragraph on golf. Do you like golf? I even have a good joke about the pastor who skipped church to play a round of golf. :laugh:

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not really but I could remember I fished instead of going to church.....anything bout fishin?

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Actually I am 'from' Alabama but have lived in Ireland for more than 15 years.

I disagree with your contention. When I first moved to Ireland it was primarily a Catholic state. Today, like the rest of Europe, it is secular. The church, especially the unrecognised church, does not need the support of the state to survive. In fact, historically, the church has thrived under opposition from the state. A church that does not have the support of the state may lose the fancy buildings, politicians speaking in the pulpits, the popularity and the prestige, but it will also also lose the chaff which fills so many churches when they have the support of the state.

I love being a Christian in a secular state. You know who the real Christians are.

The best thing that can happen to the church in America is a dissociation with the state.

Why do you think the church will grow smaller without the state's help? Are we really that dependent on the government to carry out the great commission or to serve our Almighty God? A secular state is the greatest place to carry out the Great Commission - look at the field! And beside, maybe a smaller church is a purer church.

American Christians should look forward to a secular America, for then, and only then, will they learn to rely on the King Jesus instead of King Government.

#13 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yep, he's from Alabama. When he makes a good post, we even claim him! :eek: :D

I had the privilege of being in Europe in 1989-90 when Communism fell. I got to speak firsthand to a Czecholsovakian pastor who had been horribly mistreated. I was struck by the way he spoke of being glad for the tribulations...because it had made them strong.

I think that's the key. America's slide into secularism will make the church smaller...but those who are faithful are doing so at a price. So yep...smaller, but stronger.

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with those who say they would rather have a conservative Christian Catholic as Governor than a raging lib protestant.

Same goes for conservative Mormon as Governor vs whacky lib protestant or lib Catholic.

Note: The majority Catholic vote in most years has gone lib - democrat pro-abortion platform.

In any case - as much as I am in favor of the conservative Catholic judge on the S.C - I would much prefer a balanced court of Protestant and Catholic conservatives and maybe two or three libs to keep everybody on their toes.

(I believe we need checks and balances especially on the S.C).

An "wide margin majority" Catholic S.C is a problem waiting to happen.

in Christ,

Bob

16. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You heretic! It's the Beautiful Game!

More seriously, there are pros- and cons- with regard to secularisation viz a vis the Church. On the one hand, I am a firm believer in the separation of Church and State (you might find that odd, coming from an English Anglican!) and also against the whole idea of 'cultural Christianity'; part of me longs for the time when the whole Constantinian-Theodosian Settlement can be undone and the Church return to the unshackled state it was in prior to the 4th century. OTOH, the Church in that period was heavily persecuted (which is NOT always a Good Thing - look at North Korea), had very little influence and hence was unable to fulfil an effective 'prophetic role' in socio-political circles. In many respects, one can trace secularisation to the Radical Reformation (yes, sorry, the Baptists are to blame!!), with its insistence on lack of coercion in matters of faith and separation of Church and State, leading to pluriformity of religious expression and demands for tolerance of the same, leading in turn to relativism and growing scepticism towards religion.

You may want to read Ferdinand Mount's Full Circle, which argues that we are fast-returning to the socio-cultural situation that confronted the Church prior to Constantine; a review is here (warning: does contain some explicit language on p2)

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes for puffs. Try some games for real men like American Football or even your Rugby but soccer? Those horns? Come on mate get serious!

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Vuvuzelas are indeed an abomination unto the Lord. But if you want a limp-wristed game, look no further than American Football: rugby for poofs! If they took all their padding off, I might take them a bit more seriously...!

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Youve got a heck of a nerve coming into an American Blog & insulting our time honored game of Football.... thats not cricket (talk about a game for poofs)! Rath er.

20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

It's weird, you know, I've never noticed that word 'American BaptistBoard' in the title of this Board...