1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is an IFB Church right for my family and I?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by john6:63, Aug 8, 2003.

1. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

Growing up my dad never attended Church, he was raised Church of Christ and never stepped foot in a Church, while I was growing up. My mom was raised in a small IFB church and she would take me on a few occasions while I was growing up. I can count the times she took me on both hands up until I was a teenager, and I never attended church as a teen.

I remember being saved when I was about 8 at the IFB Church. I believe I was more less scared into it, but growing up I knew who my Savior was and never questioned my salvation. I read the Bible throughout my youth, but as I said, I was never involved in Church.

To make a long story short once I was married I started attending Church with my wife at a Methodist Church. Although I was baptized, by immersion, I still wasn’t committed. About a year or so ago watching a U2 concert the Holy Spirit through the music of U2 really convicted my heart and I recommitted my life to Christ and was immediately on fire for the Lord. I was transferred to Indiana (work related) and my wife and I got really involved in a Methodist Church and started a Disciple Class there and am still taking it. I didn’t care for the preaching, it just seemed the preacher was afraid to really preach from the heart.

In the meantime my parents have both found the Lord and are involved in an IFB Church. My mom recommended an IFB Church in our area. So we checked it out and loved it. We became members after about 2 months, but now that I’ve been going I’m having second thoughts. Since I was never raised in a Church, I’m not sure what I’m looking for in a Church, if that makes any sense. The church along with my parents are too fundamental for my wife and me. I’ll explain:

I read and study the KJV as well as the NKJV, NIV. I read Eugene Petersons, the Message only as extra curricular reading. The Church preaches against any translation other than the KJV.

I’m still involved with a Disciple Class at the Methodist Church. The Church knows this and I can tell that they don’t necessarily agree with it. I asked the pastor if the Church had any programs other than Sunday school that we could participate in. He said they don’t believe in a round table discussion of the scriptures.

My wife wore a pair of kaki slacks to a Wednesday night service and she was told that members shouldn’t wear pants. My wife usually wears dresses anyway, but this winter when it’s 10 degrees outside, my wife would rather not wear a dress.

I listen to U2 and love Christian Rock, ie Third Day. The Church preaches against any form of Rock, whether it’s Christian or not.

My wife and I will on occasion have a beer or a glass of wine. The church is against any form of alcohol. I don’t see a problem with having one as long as it’s not excessive. And I don’t mind a preacher preaching against it, for I’ve seen first hand what excessive amounts of alcohol can do.

These are just a few issues I’m facing with the IFB Church. My wife and I have been trying an Independent Nondenominational Christian Church, which seems more in line with what we’re looking for. They have Bible study programs; Saturday morning’s men’s prayer groups, accountability groups and I could go on and on. My wife and I have a meeting scheduled with the preacher at the IFB Church to discuss with him our feelings.

I’ve been praying that the Lord will guide us to the “right” Church, of course my mom is devastated, she thinks the church we’re trying is some kind of cult, she’s just really closed minded. I get to the point were I just feel frustrated.

I would like your prayers and any comments…thanks

PS. Sorry for just a long rambling post. [​IMG]

2. Tim

Tim New Member

You probably won't fit well in an IFB church--at least not the one you're in.

I used to live in Indiana. I'm familiar with some churches there. What region/county are you in?

In Christ,

Tim

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

4. aefting

aefting New Member

Maybe God has lead you to this church because some of these things need to be changed in your life. I would at least consider that possibility.

I'm IFB but not KJV-only, so I would probably not attend that particular IFB church. Personally, I would try to find a "better" IFB church that emphasized solid expository preaching.

Andy

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with aefting. The first step when something bothers us should be to evaluate why it bothers us. That said, there are some very good IFB churches... it doesn't sound like you found one though.

I have a Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International directory with several churches listed that might be better. Also, there are 113 GARBC churches listed for Indiana, http://www.garbc.org/cgi-bin/Database_search/db_search.cgi. What I know about GARBC is good. They seem to be dedicated to true fundamentalism as opposed to the pseudo-fundamentalism of the KJVO stripe.

I don't know about the Methodist church you are involved with but I would have some significant doctrinal problems with most Methodists, starting with their sotierology. The Methodist pastor in the town where I attend church told our pastor that he was one of 8 'saved' Methodists pastors he knew. The implication being that the rest he knows are not saved. He is United Methodist.

The church I attend uses only the KJV in its teaching and preaching but by constitution, it is not KJVO and the pastor is KJV-preferred, not only. The moment a KJVO stance is taken by the church or pastor, I will terminate my membership.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Nothing against anybody, no offense meant, but any church that dictates "dress only" would not be one I could attend. I am not immodst at all, but I am not for that.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

And this is a major red flag! What's that all about???

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

John6:63,

Run for your life!!! The Methodist church would be a better choice that the IFB church you describe, although I would recommend a good SBC church.

9. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but U2 is a secular band and has nothing to do with Chritianity. I'm not doubting your salvation experience and I don't fall into the "all rock music is evil" category, but could you expound on why you believe that God uses the music of secular musicians to minister to you? I mean I know that U2 is a little lighter and all but it seems to me that it would raise a few warning flags is I came in and told everyone that God speaks to my heart through the the music of Iron Maiden. Please expound on this if you would.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to get too far off topic, but he certainly isn't the first to think of U2 that way:

-- Christianity Today
    Pop music with brains

For a more cynical view:

Bono's thin ecclesiology

11. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

Yep, U2 is a secular band and they don’t consider themselves a “Christian” band. But just b/c they’re music is not labeled as “Christian” doesn’t mean their not believers in Jesus Christ. Bono’s familiarity with the Bible is evident in his lyrics and I’m just as comfortable listing to U2 than I am Third Day, who by the way covers more than one U2 song during their concerts.

I believe God can use any avenue whether it is music or anything else, for that matter, to minister to someone, it doesn’t have to be tied to "Christianity."

A book I have yet to read “Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2” is from what I've heard a great book explaining U2s spirituality in both their lyrics and their personal lives.

12. LauraB

LauraB New Member

Hi and welcome to the IFB family. I grew up Catholic and went to all the things I was suppose to go thru, and went to church every sunday until I got older then only on holiday's. I can say I never knew anything about Jesus, salvation, or anything out of the Bible, because the bible was not touched in the Catholic church.

I was saved 4.5 years ago in Texas at a southern Baptist church. When I came back home to NJ I had to find a church in my area where I can now grow in my new faith. We tried a few Baptist churches, one with even a woman preacher. :eek:
    I just didn't feel anything in my heart. We tried one right down the street from my house that I have been to with a neighbor as a child and really didn't like the preacher. Low and behold I was running out of options being this is mostly a Catholic area. I almost started to go back to the Catholic church only because I needed God in my life somehow.
    Well I remembered a little white country church here in my town that I used to climb the steps and sit and listen to the loudness inside the building but it was a good loudness. We finally decided to go one sunday and the minute I walked in the doors I knew I was "home". It is an IFB church, and I liked the fact that they preached right out of the bible and only the bible.
    I liked the fact that a third party didn't run our church and decide where our money goes. We as members decide and no one else. "Independant"
    To make a long story longer... :D
    The church that I didn't like the preacher in down the street from me, well...the preacher is in jail now because he sexually abused 2 boys and a little girl. Not here in my town, but still, I was outraged.

Sorry about the rabbit trail!

The jist of it is this, if you like the church that you are now members of, and you feel right there, then you are in the right church.
    You just know. Just like falling in love, you just know.

Keep it all in prayer.
    Grow in Christ, and be happy! [​IMG]

13. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Since I was saved I went through may different changes in my viewpoint on many issues as I grew in the knowledge of the Lord and His Word.
    My advice is for you to:
    Do not take the advice on this board too much to heart. None of us know you or your church.
    Go to the Lord and pray earnestly for guidance FROM HIM, He will lead you where He wants you.
    If your main goal is to get close to Him all the rest will come.
    Where you attend church is VERY important, be sure you have peace in your heart and with GOD no matter what you do.
    I wish you well, Swordsman

14. Elnora

Elnora New Member

I like swordsman's answer. I keep reading these threads about the Methodist church. My baby sister and her husband are members of the Free Methodist church. My oldest the United Methodist.

There is a huge difference between the two. The Free Methodist teach all the fundamentals. Salvation through faith in the risen Christ, The Trinity, baptism by immersion. Infallibility of the Word of God, and the second coming of Christ for the saints.

The United Methodist don't preach salvation. Nor acceptance of the work of Christ on the cross. Nor that you need to profess that faith. They baptize by sprinkling. Astrology is fine etc. United Methodist are an unregenerated church and Free Methodist is a regenerated church through Christ.

My point is I keep seeing people lump the two together and they are total opposites. My grandma was a Free Methodist who didn't wear slacks, jewelery nor cut her hair. It was her personal conviction. Her focus was on Jesus always. The Free Methodist have some very Christ-like people. Of which I have watched my brother in law who is very young grow there in the Lord so much. I haven't seen one from the United, it is a church to join if you want to socialize and look good in the community.

I just wanted to point out the difference since I see the two lumped together as if they are the same. They are not.

15. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I gots to agrees with Elnora here.

Free Methodist has some true believers within its ranks. The pastor and the Community Church down the street was a Free Methodist pastor for eight years and him and his congregation have solid believers (not my style but whatever). But the United Methodist Church left the planet years ago.

16. Elnora

Elnora New Member

LOL! The Free Methodist here are a little too "preppy" for me, but some very sweet people. [​IMG]