1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is anybody here who is into praying on your knees?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

I know how I would. I would be prostrating myself at the least.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

i love praying on my knees. but i would also love to get into praying like David did.

laying face down. (can't remember the verse where it says that...)

3. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I've prayed on my knees before, but I usually pray sitting down or standing up or sometimes lying down. :praying:

4. Link

Link New Member

xdisciplex

I recall Peter praying on his knees when he raised Dorcas from the dead. Tradition says that James the Lord's brother had knees like a camel and wore a couple of indentions in the place where he prayed in the stone floor of the temple.

A lot of Western Christians think physical things like this aren't important. But the Bible talks a lot about prostrating for example. When you read the word 'worship' in the NT or OT, the chances are, it is a translation for a word for 'prostrate.' The Bible also talks about lifting our hands.

Lifting your hands makes your arms tired. Prostrating may not be the most comfortable position. You think kneeling is bad for the knees. But these things help us express and experience humility before the Lord.

Jesus also spoke of praying while standing. That is acceptable as well. I don't see where God commands us to kneel until we lose the bottom half of our legs. If I get too uncomfortable, I pray in another position. Sometimes I kneel on my bed, and that doesn't seem to bother my knees at all.

5. hill

hill New Member

The vast majority of my praying is done behind the wheel of my 18 wheeler. Were I to get on my knees today I'd have great difficulty getting back up, my knees being what they are. I've spent my time on my knees in earlier days though.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very scriptual and godly view. Good job!:thumbs:

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I hadn't expected to get so many replies.

Well, actually I meant it the way I said it.

I simply don't understand WHY do people buy such furniture which allows them to pray in a kneeling position which is absolutely bad for yourself? Praying with bent knees for a longer time can cause blood clots for example. If these blood clots travel to the lung or clog an important blood vessel you die. Plus praying on the knees causes pain. My knee already hurts when I kneel down for a few seconds.
    I just don't understand the fuss about this, this seems so religious to me. Is praying on your knees more effective than praying in a more comfortable position?
    Those which like praying on their knees shall do it but when somebody gets pain from praying on his knees and he still goes on praying on his knees because he thinks that God somehow rewards this pain then I think that this is sick. It's the same as beating yourself on the back with a whip or doing other things. Scarlett mentioned some of them.
    Also when I wrote this post I was mainly thinking of the person whose book I read. This person was pretty conservative. For example he wrote that going to a cinema or a disco might reduce the effectiveness of your prayers...
    On one occasion he wrote that he prayed for something on his knees on the hard concrete and he also mentioned that his knees hurt. This repelled me somehow because this gives you the impression that God likes it when we make ourselves feel miserable. This is what I think is sick. It's the same with fasting. I don't think that the clou of fasting is making yourself feel miserable and then God rewards making yourself feel miserable. If this was the case then where is the difference to islam or other religions where people make themselves feel miserable?

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I could care less how you pray but when you talk about how I pray then you are interferring with my worship and that I do care for.

What you said about how others pray!

I think this is really disturbing

I think this is perverse.

Where is the difference between praying on your knees and accepting pain and beating your back with a whip?

I think that this is somehow perverse

praying on your knees when it hurts your knees is simply sick.

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I don't want to offend you, Bob. :wavey:
    Maybe I should be more specific. I think that it's sick when you think that enduring pain somehow pleases God. This is what I actually mean. Maybe some people have this kind of thinking without even being aware of it. Maybe they feel good about themselves when they endure pain while praying on their knees. And this is something which I think is sick.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't think anyone gets on their knees for pain. They get on their knees to try and be humble before God. They try to humble their heart and try to be as humble in body as in Spirit.
    Your remarks touch a nerve for people who are trying to live as close to God as they can and make it as sure as they can because we only pass this way but once. The Bible is full of people who even laid face down to pray.
    I really think we all have our own hands full doing our own praying and anytime we see something we don't understand we should go and take a look in the mirror.
    I would much rather see someone on their knees praying than to see someone saying its "sick".
    I accept you not wanting to offend me and hope you have learned not to infringe on others when they worship God.

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

This is the furniture I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

I don't know why but when I saw this it totally repelled me because it looks so religious. If I came somewhere where people used this thing to pray I would feel like I'm in a sect. This is my personal notion.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I don't want to offend you, xx.

:wavey:

You need a personal relationship with :jesus:

You need to find a godly pastor.

And you need to spend a long time in serious discipleship.

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What do you mean with this?

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Its called a mourning bench that someone in trouble come to the front of the church and prays. We don't use them but a lot of US churches do. Believe me, most churches today have carpet as plush as our beds so they not going to hurt too bad.
    Again, we don't have anything like that. People pray where they are sitting in our church. Some kneel and some just sit because it hurts as you say for them to try to get down on their knees, but if they were able, they for sure would be on their knees. We remember Scripture.

Mat 6:5¶And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

You mean that by saying "they love to pray standing" Jesus actually also says that praying in a standing position isn't good?

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I am totally repelled when someone is religious instead of having a relationship with Jesus.

If I went to a place where everyone was religious instead of Believers, then I would know that I was in a sect.

I mean that I really don't want to offend you, and I should be more specific. I think that it's sick when you think that your style of worship without faith somehow pleases God.

Maybe you feel good about yourself when you endure a good life without pain. I mean you do not even pray on your knees.

And this is sick.

You need a personal relationship with Jesus and not with a computer chat board.

17. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

How do you want to know that I don't have a relationship with Jesus?

This isn't nice and uplifting. If you think that this stuff helps me then you're wrong.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Not at all, pray whereever and whenever but do it humble.

I just wanted you to know Jesus put a different slant on it than you did.

I just don't know how you can "humble" pray while judging how others pray.

19. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Allright.:thumbsup:

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

xx

On one of your other threads, you have said that you cannot understand a miracle and you want to see one. No one but God can help you. Your faith in an Internet solution cannot help you. Only faith in Almighty God.

Salvation is a miracle. God changes a lost soul from a path to damnation to one of His children.

This is the Roman Road. You need to find a mentor that can guide you in the process (sometimes called sinners prayer) of salvation and then discipleship.

Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Rom 10:13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”

xx - your questioning your faith is not uplifting, and it is not nice. If you had the relationship with Jesus that you claim that you want to have, you would understand many of the questions that you ask about. IMHO.

#60 El_Guero, Sep 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2006