1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is anything really accomplished by this forum or not?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Aug 2, 2005.

?
  1. Yes (For whatever reason)

100.0%
  2. No (For whatever reason)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Just for fun - let us suppose that this were a question to be answered by experiment. We are going to test, by experiment, whether or not men have free will.

Can anybody imagine what that experiment could possibly be? Confine the experiment to something possible to be done by mortal men in the days of our flesh.

2. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Paul of Eugene,

Yes that would be quite the experiment!

I wish people would at least be honest and say;

"I am not certain if I have free-will or not".

It would be like trying to convince natives in some jungle that there are radio and TV waves in the air.

They just don't believe it! Even though the waves are all around them.

Scripture proves that God effects salvation!

Scripture is proof that God affects the hearts and wills of people...even kings!

People may wish to push it all away....they may not beleive it....but it is true!

It is the Spirit who gives life ; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father ."

John 6: 63-65

God bless you! [​IMG] KJB

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Poll Results: Is anything really accomplished by this forum or not? (36 votes.)

Is anything really accomplished by this forum or not?

Yes (For whatever reason) 67% (24)
    No (For whatever reason) 33% (12)

If you were in charge of the world, would you close this whole C/A forum?

Yes, I would close the forum. 25% (9)
    No, I would keep it open. 75% (27)

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Andre,

I'm sorry, but in terms of acceptance meaning work you are wrong.

You said, I do think that "acceptance" meets a reasonable definition of what work consists of. The key point is that mental deliberation goes on as to whether to accept the gift or not. Since we agree that the "right" decision is to accept the gift, we cannot help but conclude that some "merit" should be credited to a person who makes the "right" decision.

The "mental deliberation" involved in accepting an unearned gift is not work. Saying, "yes thank you," to a gift you don't deserve won't make you deserving of the gift.

I am not achieving a goal by accepting a free gift.

One of the definitions of work is labor. Synonyms for the word are: assignment, attempt, bullwork, chore, commission, daily grind, donkeywork, drudge, drudgery, effort, elbow grease, endeavor, exertion, functioning, grind, grindstone, industry, job, moil, muscle, obligation, pains, performance, production, push, rally, rat race, salt mines, scutwork, servitude, slavery, slogging, stint, stress, striving, struggle, sweat, task, toil, travail, trial, trouble, undertaking

Accepting love is not production, toil, trial, or an undertaking.

A parent offers love to a baby freely.
    That baby does not toil to accept that love.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Someone wrote
    Positive merit is earned as a result of a positive action.

First - That statement is wrong. Positive merit is not always the result of positive action.

Second - Who said that God's gift of grace had anything to do with man's merit?

I love my ex-husband as much today as I did the day I married him. I offer that love to him every day, even though there is no doubt in the minds of anyone - frankly myself included - that at this point he doesn't deserve it. During the worst part of his illness he TOTALLY rejected all love - not only mine but his parents, his children's... It didn't stop us from offering him love. My love had noting to do with his merit.

I think this is the biggest flaw in the average Calvinist arguement. You seem to forget this is about love. GODLY love.

You keep trying to put human merit to it all.
    You define giving and receiving love in terms of earning them when the gift being discussed is God's love. Didn't you ever feel love you didn't deserve? If not, I feel sorry for you.

It is easier for you to believe that God didn't love thousands of people, than it is for you to believe that God loved ALL people - and offered that love to all people, but did not force love on them.

I just don't get that about the Calvinist viewpoint.

How do you think "you will be saved because I will MAKE you be saved," is grace? That's slavery.

And the next arguement to that is almost always, "Well, God has the power and the right."

Or course He does.
    He doesn't have the nature though.

The entire bible is one long story of God forgiving, of God calling people to repentence, of God giving men "one more chance" ... because He loves us.

The bible CALLS God Love. The verse actually reads - "God is love."

The bible says that Christ came to earth BECAUSE he loves sinners. "For God so loved the world."

You can't take that love out of the equation because it doesn't fit your idea of all powerful.

In the eyes of my babies when they were little I was all powerful, and I could have, I suppose, forced them to pretend to love me - but I couldn't have forced them TO love me.

God wants REAL love.
    God wants REAL devotion.

By saying, "God picked who would be saved," and then saying that everyone who IS saved was pre-chosen and that they had no freewill, you are saying that God setteled for less than real love.

And I'm sorry. I know it infuriates you all, but the fact is - you are ALSO saying that Christ's death was utterly meaningless, and my Christ did NOT die for nothing.

If - before Adam was formed, God said, "Sky will be saved because I said so, and I will make her accept the offering of grace from Christ," Christ didn't NEED to go to the cross.

The cross ONLY matters if it is an offer of love and grace. It ONLY matters if Christ said, "I died for you. I love you. Take my hand and follow me."

6. King James Bond

Once there was an evil man. Without regard to his own will, he was placed on a border road between two kingdoms.

One kingdom was perfect and offered everything good, holy, and wonderful. The other kingdom was evil and offered every conceivable sin under the sun.

Anyone in the evil kingdom was an absolute enemy of the good kingdom.

Of his own will, the evil man was pleased with the darker kingdom even though the light of the wonderful kingdom was always present.

The evil man loved darkness and hated the light and all other things of the good kingdom.

He willingly chose to venture deep into the dark kingdom seeking the evil desires of his wicked heart.

He was powerfully overtaken by robbers against his will.

He was robbed, beaten, thrown over the side of a cliff, and left for dead.

He was left in a coma and therefore could not see, could not hear, and had no power within himself to cry out for help.

He was left in an utterly helpless, miserable condition, heading toward doom.

For all practical purposes he was dead.

The great and good king of the wonderful kingdom had received news from his agents that such a thing had happened to the evil man.

The good king himself went into the evil kingdom to rescue his dying enemy.

The robbers came by and attempted to kill both the good king, and the evil man. The good king had more power than all the evil creatures living in the evil kingdom.

He rescued the evil man. It was a genuine rescue and there existed no power in the evil kingdom capable of thwarting his plan.

The good king took his dying enemy to the best hospital in his good kingdom and made him just as new.

I ask a few questions;

1: Did the beaten man “receive” mercy by the “grace” of the good king or not?

2: Did the beaten man have to “choose” the kings kindness to “receive” it?

3: Was the beaten man capable of helping to save himself out of his dire situation, or was his “salvation” dependent entirely on the complete generosity and kindness of the good kings mercy?

4: Where was the mans “will” or “power” in this entire situation?

5: Whose will and power was important in his salvation?

6: Did the evil enemy deserve to be saved?

7: What did the evil man do to earn such favor?

Hope this helps out! [​IMG]

God bless you all!

7. OCC

OCC Guest

This certainly doesn't sound like Lazarus had a choice:

John 11:43
    And when He thus had spoken He cried with a loud voice, "Lazarus, COME FORTH."

Can you show where he could have refused Jesus' command?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I believe I explained it. Could you show where he could not have refused Jesus' command? People do it all the time...that's why they are sinners.

8. King James Bond

TexasSky,

We do not love God because of free-will.

First of all you have not proven people even have such a thing.

Second and most important is that Scripture proclaims the reason why we love God.....and it is not because of free-will.

1 John; We love him, because he first loved us.

Eph 2:4-8 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God...

Regards [​IMG] KJB

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

King James:

Once there were two men born into the world of darkness. Unknown to either man - the blood of the High King ran in them.

Lost heirs, born in darkness, educated in darkness. They did evil things because, with no knowledge of their father, they did not know that the things they did were evil.

One day the King said to His servants - go into the forest. I have two sons there. I want you to find one son - and tell him that he is my heir. Tell him that I love him. Tell him that our land offers warmth, and peace, and love and joy.

And the servants said, "what of the other son?"

And the King said, "Blind his eyes so that he does not see that my blood is in him. Clog his ears so that he does not hear you speak of my kingdom or his royal heritage. Cut out his tongue so that he does not ever call to me for help, for I am obligated to help my children who call out for my help."

----

That's the God you paint a picture of.

The entire lie of Calvinism is built on the idea that man is so totally depraved he won't even seek out God and has to be drug in by God.

That isn't biblical though.

The bible teaches that when God formed man, God breathed life into man. Man's original soul came from God.

Yes - sin entered the world - through the bad choice of man.

Yes - all men sin.

But that which we call life is a part of God himself that lives in every man. Its right there in the bible. God breathed life into you. If you live, the breath of God Himself is in you. No other creature in the universe was formed that way. ONLY man.

And unlike the scene of the Calvinist King who denies one heir, and abuses him, forcing him to evil - Christ calls to ALL men, and those who respond to His call are welcomed home like the Prodigal sons we are.

If you are breathing - you are alive enough to hear the call of God. Whether you listen or not - is something else.

10. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Is "King James" and "King James Bond" the same person??? It sure looks that way.

11. here now

here now Member

KJB says:

KJB,
    It sounds like your boss needs Jesus to tell him to COME FORTH. And then, LOOSE HIM AND LET HIM GO. [​IMG]

John 11:44 (KJV) And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, LOOSE HIM AND LET HIM GO.

12. whatever

whatever New Member

But who are you, O TexasSky, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory-- even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

13. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

As to your quesions. Let me ask you a few.

1) Is God less loving than any human parent?

2) Is God less loving than the most loving of humans?

3) If the most loving human parent in the world has six children drowning in a flood - and CAN save all six - would he refuse to save three?

Why do you presume that God refuses to save all six? You don't teach "God threw a lifeline to all six, but only three grabbed it." You teach, "God threw rocks at three, and life lines at three."

14. OCC

OCC Guest

"...What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory-- even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?"

Maybe the key words are 'what if God'? Maybe it is saying what IF God did that...but it doesn't say He does.

I just find when most people use that verse they do it in a haughty manner and are not the least sensitive to people. Kind of like the man who pounded his chest and thanked the Lord he wasn't a sinner.

15. here now

here now Member

This certainly doesn't sound like Lazarus had a choice:

Can you show where he could have refused Jesus' command?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I believe I explained it. Could you show where he could not have refused Jesus' command? People do it all the time...that's why they are sinners.
    </font>[/QUOTE]**********************************************

Sure, just look at this passage he did not refuse. I consider that proof.

16. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

Brian, no they are different people, one is a calvinist and the other is not. Can you guess which is which?

The president of my college, Gallaudet University in DC, was named I. King Jordan. Was actually wondering if either of their given names was King.

Oh, well. Back to the discussion on the usefulness of this forum... I guess.

17. whatever

whatever New Member

No

No

Not likely

First, I think we agree that some will not be saved. So are you really saying that God cannot save them? That is the implication of your third question.

Second, you still are misrepresenting what we teach. Maybe you do not mind, but you are bearing false witness about us and I do mind. What we teach is that a lifeline is not enough. Those who have already drowned, who are dead in their sins, have no need of a lifeline. What they need is to be brought back to life.

18. King James Bond

TexasSky,

Scripture says;

"Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son so He can give glory back to you. For you have given Him authority over everyone in all the earth. He gives eternal life to each one you have given Him. John 17

Scripture says;

"My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you. And all of them, since they are mine, belong to you; and you have given them back to me, so they are my glory! John 17

Scripture says;

who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1

Scripture says;

So receiving God's promise is not up to us. We can't get it by choosing it or working hard for it. God will show mercy to anyone he chooses. Romans 9:16

Scripture says;

For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for Him Philippians 1

Scripture says;

So you see, God shows mercy to some just because he wants to, and He chooses to make some people refuse to listen. Romans 9:18

Scripture says;

He also has the right to pour out the riches of His glory upon those He prepared to be the objects of his mercy-- even upon us, whom He selected, both from the Jews and from the Gentiles. Romans 9:22-24

Scripture says;

Well then, what shall we say about these things? Just this: The Gentiles have been made right with God by faith, even though they were not seeking Him. Romans 9:30

Scripture says;

" I HAVE KEPT for Myself SEVEN THOUSAND MEN WHO HAVE NOT BOWED THE KNEE TO BAAL." In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a remnant according to God's gracious choice. But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace. What then? What Israel is seeking, it has not obtained, but those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were hardened; just as it is written, “GOD GAVE THEM A SPIRIT OF STUPOR, EYES TO SEE NOT AND EARS TO HEAR NOT, DOWN TO THIS VERY DAY." Romans 11

Scripture says;

You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit John 15

Scripture says;

If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

All the people of the earth are nothing compared to Him. He has the power to do as He pleases among the angels of heaven and with those who live on earth. No one can stop Him or challenge Him, saying, `What do you mean by doing these things?' Daniel 4:35

I have tons more if you need them.

God bless [​IMG] KJB

19. whatever

whatever New Member

What the passage says is that the objection that TexasSky raised is invalid. You are correct that it says "what if", but the point is to disallow this very objection.

Also, I appreciate your concern. I definitely have a pride problem and I would welcome your prayers on my behalf.

20. here now

here now Member

Maybe three were of their father the devil, and not God's children.