1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Arminianism heresy?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Robert William, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh excuse me but saying everyone who is not a Calvinist is Semi-Pelagian and starting a thread entitled "Is Arminianism Heresy" is far worse that "flippant". It is childish and sophomoric fodder in the vein of Jerry Springer. Its sole purpose is to demean and belittle those with whom you disagree. The maturity level dropped 50 points when this thread was started and another 50 points when it was revived.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you have no awareness of historical theology rm.
    The fact is semi-Pelagianism is not merely a distant aberration but a living theological framework for most professing Christians in America.

America's most famous Arminian has even admitted as much.

3. vooks

vooks Active Member

Answer the question or zip it

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yep. :laugh:

True classic Arminianism is not "semi-Pelagian", as folks like Arminius (and the Wesley's for that matter) would have had no objections to the Canons and Conclusion of the Synod of Orange (AD 529) which affirmed the absolute necessity of prevenient grace and condemned what came to be known as 'semi-Pelagiansim'.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, excuse me but not everyone wanders around in the Calvinist framework. We do not look at one's doctrine and then work to compare it to those in the past in order to find an identity. Neither do we look at past scholars doctrines and say I like that one best so I am with him.

1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
    1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
    1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
    1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

We are Christians period. We are not bound by nor are we even concerned with Calvinist systematic theology. We do not have such a myopic view. Let's stand together as Christians who preach Christ and Him crucified and set aside the divisions that we see in this thread. It is ungodly.

6. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Correct--neither the Apostles nor the Church Fathers wondered around in such a framework...and neither have the majority of Christians who have ever lived for that matter.

This is very true and timely, given the increasing secularization of our culture. We as Christians should be standing up against our common Foe and not becoming enmeshed in these intramural squabbles.

#226 Doubting Thomas, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am not a Calvinist nor am I an Arminian. Nor will I be defined by some or any of those in either camp. To toss around the name "Arminian" by those who are Calvinist is simply a pejorative. It is childish at best. It shows a lack of courtesy and at times an inability to debate or converse with any decent intelligence. I have said many times that I refused to be boxed in by any man's theological system. The Bible is my final authority, not Calvin, not Jacob Arminius, not Augustine, nor any other man.

To call a person a Pelagian is to call him a heretic--not permitted.
    To call them an Arminian when they are not, is simply a pejorative.

If you haven't done so, or need a refresher, read the rules. They are posted on the bottom of each page.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a certainty.:laugh:
    That is certainly true. Most are too lazy to even care about corruptions of the past and to compare them with the same kind today.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I entirely agree with the above. Good summation.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another gem of a post. Very biblical I must say.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes indeedy!

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

This thread has distracted itself from OP.

Refresh!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.