1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Barack Obama a Marxist?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .........I wonder what Marx and Obama would have made of this discussion in the Wall Street Journal regarding survey results revealing that religious people are far more likely to rate themselves as happy than secular people (when controlling for other factors, the difference between religious and secular happiness was 21 percent, which is huge.)

What would Obama make of these survey results? According to him, bitter Midwest folk are so "frustrated" they can only deal with their plight by clinging to guns or to God. Unlike the San Francisco elite, they can't deal with the harsh truths and unhappiness, and so they fool themselves into religion. How would Obama explain the fact that religious people are typically happier than their secular counterparts, including, most likely, those in the very audience to whom he was speaking?

I find myself in agreement with Political Animals guest Dan Jacobson: Obama is a dead candidate walking. At the rate his campaign is unraveling, he'll soon be less electable than Karl Marx himself.

More Comments Here

#1 Revmitchell, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess we'll see today since this primary will pretty much tell the democratic story...

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have my doubts. this fight will get nasty and bitter and will last long after this primary. The carpetbagger will not give up easy.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I believe this is just wishful thinking on your part. And, no I don't think Obama is a Marxist. I think he is the best candidate running this year.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am led to believe that anyone who does not agree with Rev. Mitchell is a liberal and a Communist .... at least in his mind. Wonder if he has ever read anything by Marx, Engles or Mao????

Hmmmmm, I wonder if he has read anything by Ben Franklin, Tomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson or any of the founding fathers?
    :smilewinkgrin:

6. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

The man refuses to salute the American flag.
    The man sat under an America hating black racist preacher for 20 years.
    The man lies on a consistent basis (though all politicians do that).
    The last 6 times he voted in the senate he vote incorrectly.
    His close friends are past and present law breakers.

dragonfly Quote:

I believe this is just wishful thinking on your part. And, no I don't think Obama is a Marxist. I think he is the best candidate running this year.

What a sad state we are in if this is true.:tear:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother. :thumbs:

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Pffst. We're having trouble telling if we should put you down as one vote for or against. Can you be less vague?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Are you always so easily led? :confused:

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What does San Francisco, a great city by the way, have to do with Obama? I'm not aware that he has any ties to San Francisco. I guess that's just the most "liberal" place you can think of.

11. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

How much of Marxism have you actually studied? The survey results absolutely support Marx's famous -- though oft-misunderstood -- statement that religion is the opiate of the masses. Think about it: people are happy when high. Very happy.

Incidentally, Marx never advocated persecuting people on the basis of religious belief or suggested that they should be coerced into giving up their faith. While he was strident in his atheism, his belief that religious belief tended to arise out of social circumstances (i.e. life within a capitalist economic system) led naturally to the presumption that religion would simply fade away with the establishment of a communist society. In the absence of such, however, Marx was quite sympathetic to those who held religious beliefs as a mechanism of coping with alienation within present society.

12. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

Here are a few quotes from Marx:
    I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

Groucho Marx.:laugh: :applause: :laugh: :applause:
    Just a little levity

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, analgesic.
    I was once a marxist-leninist-maotsetung thought propaganda and education officer,for an underground activists' cell for a short while. This was in the very early 70's when Marcos just declared Marial Law in the Philippines.

You are quite right in most of what you said. As for the rest which I think is debatable, I would rather keep quiet since political issues are a weakness I have, and I don't always tend to be diplomatic.

And to be truthful, it surprises me to hear some that Obama is a marxist, though my family and I will not vote for this man.

I can almost say that Marx and Engel's suffering in hell, assuming they are there, are doubled to hear Mr. Obama mistaken for a Marxist.

#13 pinoybaptist, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Which of the following does Obama not support?

1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.

2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.

4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.

5. Centralization of credit in the banks of the state, by means of a national bank with state capital and an exclusive monopoly.

6. Centralization of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the state.

7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the state; the bringing into cultivation of waste lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.

8. Equal obligation of all to work. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.

9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the populace over the country.

10. Free education for all children in public schools. Combination of education with industrial production, etc.

You can read the rest Here.

I'd say that he is as close to being a Communist as the rest of the Political offerings we have to choose from.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't know, but I imagine he also ate a meal every day. If you also do, does that make you a Marxist?

16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I am not the subject of the thread, Obama is. He does support most of those objectives. So, if it quacks like a duck.......

17. Magnetic Poles

Dodging the question? The point is, your ticklist has things that many non-marxists would agree with. Therefore, it has no bearing on if one is a Marxist or not, including Senator Obama.

18. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like what Bill O'Rielly said:

"We don't really KNOW WHO Obama is!"

And that's what frightening. He is all rhetoric and attractiveness and charisma. He has taken on that Kennedy/Camelot appearance and is working it to the max. Americans are so DUMB. (All we like sheep have gone astray)

Noone knows what kind of a leader he will be, unless you really analyze what he says.....and since I started doing that, I am PETRIFIED at the thought of him being our President. Lord help this country - it will be turning its back on God even more!!!

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It is not my "ticklist" it is the objectives of the Communist Party. It is from Marx's own pen. And in that same document he states that it may become necessary to side with other organizations to achieve those goals. So, non Marxist or Marxist they are after the same goal. Obama is following a Communist goal. Therefore if it (Obama) walks like a duck........

#19 Palatka51, Apr 23, 2008
  20. Magnetic Poles

I give up. Logic obviously escapes you. Must be something in the water in Florida...seems we have an inordinate number of Floridians on the board who see a commie under every bed. :laugh:

#20 Magnetic Poles, Apr 23, 2008