1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is being Baptist still synonomous with being Biblical?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Dec 3, 2010.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I suppose what I mean here is some have taken it off being ashamed to be associated with funny mentalists. I don't blame them.

Certainly others have removed it due to not being Baptist any longer.

2. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Well said Dr.Bob thE problem is that as time wears on we are even starting to disagree as to what the distinctives are. The fact of the matter is that even though Gods intention for the church is to be distinctive worldly influence and doctrinal sloppiness have eroded our authenticity to the point where we cannot even recognise ourselves, nor remember who we were intended to be. I once saw a Christian book on Ecclesiology entitled : CINDERELLA WITH AMNESIA. I think that is sadly apt!

3. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

This is true, I was speaking historically. As Dr. Bob mentioned Baptists are meant to be associated through certain distinctives, One of those being a high view of God's word and and strong expository preaching thus meriting the title "people of the book"

4. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Consider what a Congressman from Georgia said a couple years ago - it is akin to what has happened to some Baptist churches: "I didn' t leave the party; the party left me."

When my Pastor went to the Baptist meeting in Tampa several months ago, he came back and told us that we might have to separate from the Baptist convention. Liberalism has crept into their thoughts and methods; and when it does, he won't fit in any more.

Liberalism does have many shades of color. It would take a separate post just to number all the changes that can be categorized as "liberal."

5. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I have to be honest and say i am no longer proud to be called baptist because saying im baptist doesnt say much any more.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then how do we change that misconception?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont understand? you & wife are going to be missionaries in a relatively poor & dangerous part of the Continent. Who, what group are you going to represent?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea but you can also get that with Orthodox Presbyterians.

9. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Hopefully we will represent Jesus Christ, the name that is above all other names and denominations and with his gracious enablement share the gospel, disciple and train till we can plant a Bible believing church which will continue being a witness in the area.

What group did the apostle Paul represent?

10. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

That is true. But it is just one of the distinctives not all of them. It is the collective that makes Baptists Baptists not the singular.

11. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I'm not sure if I want to...may "Baptist" needs to die and I need to die to being so proudly Baptist so that Christ and His name can be magnified?

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm not proud about being a Baptist, but I am pleased and grateful. And the Baptist church I serve is all about magnifying the name of the Lord Jesus.

In fact, seeing the name Baptist on a church sign tells me the likelihood is that the same is going on there.

13. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I suppose there are worse things to be ecclesiastically and ideologically than baptist. But it is a little naive to think that ur local church experience typifies a general baptist experience. In fact thats what makes baptist churches such bad news at times. You never know what to expect from one baptist church to another. At least you can expect the same error in charismatic churches.