1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is belief the hinge of our salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Look at the scripture again. It DOES say just that...

"No one born of God makes a practice of sinning"

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now you have REAL problems becuase the Bible DOES call Lot righteous!

3. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: Great point. I find that those who want to tie obedience together with trusting in Christ in order to equal salvation have a problem explaining Lot.

In Christ,
    Dave

4. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that a believer must "work" to remain saved?

Are we saved and kept by the Grace of God or are we saved by the Grace of God and kept by our obedience to God?

In Christ,
    Dave

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So? Lot was Righteous. He had a few problems, but that was not his lifestyle. He "practiced" righteousness.

Gen 19:1 The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed himself with his face to the earth

Why was Lot righteous?

2Pe 2:7 and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked
    2Pe 2:8 (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard);

So yes> those born of God do not make a practice of sinning..

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

We are saved by God, made righteous through the Holy Spirit that indwells us, and kept by God. It is all Him.

As the old Baptist preacher says "No change, no Christ".

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is your proof text Lot was "practicing" righteousness? How about selfishly choosing the good land for himself over Abraham (a disrespectful move, too taking the better place away from his uncle)?

How about giving his daughters up to be raped to the angry crowd?

How about having to be DRAGGED out of sinful S&G (disobeying the angels direct command)?

How about getting drunk...so drunk that he didn't even know he was performing incest with his daughters?

Living in righteousness, eh?

8. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It truly is "all Him". Ours is only to choose to accept God's Gift.

In Christ,
    Dave

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If we "choose" then it's NOT all him.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Abraham gave Lot first choice. It is YOUR interpretation that it was disrspectful for Lot to take that Land. Nowhere does it even imply in the text itself, that it was disrespectful of Lot to DO what his elder TOLD HIM to do...

Lot was willing to sacrifice his daughters, to protect the messengers of God. Misguided, sure. I suppose you condemn Abraham for raising the knife with the PURE intent of Killing Isaac?
    Look here>

"I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly.
    Gen 19:8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof."

True. However, how easy would it be for you to leave your in laws in a city about to be nuked?

Yeah, after seeing his wife killed. Notice here>

Pro 31:6 Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress;
    Pro 31:7 let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

Discount part of scripture if you wish. Scripture says Lot was righteous, and he was greatly distressed at the wickedness around him. I will believe scripture, You can believe whatever tickles your fancy.

11. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

over and over

I hear things like this a lot, our salvation will always be of Him and by grace no matter what God calls us to do to be saved.

Why, because you do not have to pay the penalty of your sin which isn't to believe, but death.

You are saved by grace, and you can do everything that God calls you to do and your salvation will always be Him, because Jesus paid your sin debt.

We are saved by grace through faith. Your faith didn't come by waking up one day and you just had it, it came from God through the words of Jesus.

We praise Jesus because none of us can be saved without Him.

#31 psalms109:31, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  12. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The wonderful thing about Our God is that He loves us so much that He allows us to reject Him. His Love is pure and unlimited. He gave us the ability to choose and I thank Him for that.

I chose to trust in Jesus Christ for my salvation and not myself. God wants a relationship with us and that starts with us accepting Him as Saviour. A relationship cannot be forced, it has to be a choice.

Thank God He gives all people the choice. We will live eternally with the choice we make to accept or reject Christ as Saviour.

Dave

13. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Webdog, correct me if I am wrong (do I actually think you might not?), but the ONLY way for Lot to be righteous is by faith?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

First > Hello brother Reformed !!

Second - You lost me.. your now contending that one can believe in Jesus but not be saved??

And as you know, I do not hold that regeneration precedes faith since I do not find it a scripturally established view.

But what the hey, lets begin :)

He was talking to two distinct groups. (I read a little further where web and another speak to this so I'll listen to your comment there before I go further here).

PS.. A few thoughts:

In the Non-Cal understanding being regenerated is being born-again/salvation. The Calvinist has a different view of what this 'entails' than the non-Cals. Non-Cals hold it to be salvation (ie.. saved from death and thus made alive) , where as the Cals hold it to be the prelude to salvation (ie.. made alive in order to be saved).

It would appear (at least to me) that when a person is regenerated before salvation, there is no need for 'faith' which scripture states brings salvation (at least with respect to the Cal view) According to some the person who is regenerated before salvation has four basic things that have happened when born-again
    (1) given a 'new' nature AND
    (2) now has the Holy Spirit indwelling them or residing in them (though not technically filling them yet) thus 'empowering them' AND
    (3) that their relationship to and with God the Father is in a reconciled state (thus the new nature and indwelling Spirit of GOd) AND
    (4) they are now IN Christ [able to be saved].

The problem in this view of a person being 'reconciled' before faith is that the person who is reconciled is considered by God justified toward God and therefor they are also sanctified by God making the person in a right relationship with God - Thus they are Righteous. All this without faith ever being excersized nor repentance made. All of these are against what scripture states : that they are all imputed by or through Faith. (see below) Otherwise what good is regeneration to the person who is still a sinner?

The scriptural mandate for one to excersize faith in order to be saved is no longer valid since the work of salvation is already done before repentence or Faith is even acknowledged. If these be true then what we have is salvation BEFORE repentance and faith and not as says the scriptre "believe and be saved", "repent or you shall all likewise perish" and "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" et. (Mar 1:15, Luk 13:3,5 , Act 16:31, Rom 10:9 et.)

IF a person is regenerated by God before faith, they are in fact made alive unto God because they have been reconciled unto God by Christ's propitiation BEFORE faith but scripture says differently in Rom 3:25 and also in the verse below:
    He is 'new' having no stain or taint, therefore they are IN Christ because they have been justified and cleansed from all unrighteousness.

As I previously stated, for this to be true:
    1. They are already justified unto God
    1. thereofore they are ALREADY sanctified - or set apart for and by God ; being pure
    ....a. and that he is now deemed by God due to the above to be righteous (or in a right relationship with God).
    3. And all of these are done by the Holy Spirit who is now indwelling the Non-BELIEVER no matter how much time between being made alive and salvaiton.

But unfortunately the indwelling Holy Spirit, sanctification, justification, and righteousness are all imputed ONLY AFTER Faith is excersized.

It is set forth in teh scriptures the process of regeneration reveals that it IS the EVENT of Salvation which is of grace by faith and not the precurser to it. Otherwise you have the cart before the horse. Regeneration also only appears twice in scripture and it is never seen as that which is before salvation.

Scripture shows you can not be regenerate (which MUST include justification and sanctification and the infilling of the Holy Spirit) before faith.
    WHY?

It is 'by faith' we are justified (Rom 3:28)
    It is 'by faith' we are sanctified (Acts 26:18,)
    It is 'by faith' we are made righteous (Rom 3:22, Rom 4:5)
    It is 'by faith' the propitiation (substituationary death) is applied to man (Rom 3:25)
    It is 'by faith' we receive (obtain) the indwelling Holy Spirit (Gal 3:14)

All of these show (and other verses as well) that unless faith is FIRST excerized there is no new birth which constitutes all of the above; For they are all BY FAITH.

This is why I beleive regeneration IS salvation and that we are born-again 'by faith' and both terms (regeneration and salvation) are described as being born-again (the New Birth).

And if none of these be true, then how does being born-again work, being that they are still in their sins and they do not have the Holy Spirit empowering them, not to mention the fact that they are not 'in Christ' and thus not in a reconsiled relationship to God the Father nor His Son? What does it do?

#34 Allan, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2008
  15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Exactly but are you saying that God first regenerated them (made them alive) and then they beleived.

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Scripture says we have no faith. Therefore God must give it too us. In FACT, scripture says that God assigns to each man a specific amount of faith. (Romans 12:3).

O.k... Try that in the real world and see how well that works. Next time your Child runs out in front of a car, ask him/her "Do you want me to save you?" If they say no, let them get squished.

REAL LOVE does what is best for someone, REGARDLESS of what they want. We see examples of this all the time in the real world in the example mentioned above, in drug interventions, when we tell our children "no, you can't run with scissors" etc.

This is why (besides the ton of scripture) the denial of God's sovereign election is so wrong. It makes God less loving than Humans.

The Psalms say that God Has "ordained" every one of our steps. Believe in the "free choice" fallacy if you wish. We do choose God, but only because he first chose us.

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

This is not true.

Rom 3 states that faith is not a work and therefore one can not boast in it.
    Your continued contention regarding the 'excersize of the wiil' is based off of one passage that is taken (IMO) or viewed incorrectly.

The excersize of the will, is refering to man determining that he is to be saved and we know this because the sentence it is apart of refers to man being the originator of their salvation. Everything about the passage is about works but faith is not a work. Man does not determine that he will be saved, he must trust that is true and His word correct, that he might ask God to save him - not tell God to.

God is the one who makes a person born again. Man can't obtain it through blood lineage, nor through his ability (relating to good works), nor by determining he will be (much the same as the new age belief of 'willing' something to happen) - Man can not make himself born-again (that is the whole premise of John 3) but it is something that only God can do 'to' man.

#37 Allan, Apr 10, 2008
  18. Allan

Allan Active Member

First, Hello and good morning

Second actually, your quite wrong. But on the chance I am, please produce the scripture that says 'we have no faith' or that no man has any faith. (Just so you know - I'm looking for the verb form and not the noun since the noun always refers to Christ who is our faith - or the whole of our belief relating to Christ)

All men have faith and if you deny that you deny common sence and bible as well.
    For many in scripture believed in false gods and thus they excersized faith in that which can not save. Scripture is speaks of 'vain' faith, but in your view faith only comes from God and thus you have God giving people empty faith. I don't you mean that but that is the end result if carried on the natural course. Jesus speaks to the people about 'their' faith (your faith has made you.. your faith has cleansed you..) but you will never hear scripture state nor insinuates Gods faith He gave you has made you whole... cleansed you.. et..

Faith of itself is nothing and does nothing. Faith of itself can not even save. It must have an object and it is the object that gives faith any value or distinction.

With respect to your statement of non-FACT, other Calvinists do not agree with your rendering of that verse. (notables such as John Macarthur) as seen here in his commentary on Rom 12:3
    To presume ever believer is given different levels of faith is to also presume that God ordained some believers to be more like Christ than others. Quite a delima you will have going for yourself if your not careful

I didn't make any such statement so it must be toward another poster.

However you present a false understanding of real love. True on one side real love 'does what is best for someone, REGARDLESS of what they want'. (thus Christ died while we were yet sinners) However in the 'real world' you do not force your love upon anyone, but you give it and they either receive it or reject it. You can stop your child from running into on coming traffic, or do drug intervention but that by no means necessitates the person whom you are loving will receive it as such.
    Ex..Did you marry your wife because you loved her regardless of if she loved you or not and it was what was best for her?? Didn't think so.
    In Other Words - for every example here in, it can be just as easily shown the opposite.

But the fact that is truth is that love must first be given, but that does not automatically necessitate it will be recevied. God desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth. God desires that all men repent.. God calls to some and they will not receive His call such as seen in the verses below:
    A similar verse is here:
    And yes I agree that God chose us before we chose him. :thumbs:

#38 Allan, Apr 10, 2008
  19. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hello to you too brother. I'm not on here much anymore, but in my studies I came across this John 8 text where I somehow had never noticed that Jesus addresses Jews who believed, but told that they would die in their sin.
    I don't want to go into the argument of regeneration necessarily.... as we have been there before huh? :)
    My main purpose is the argument of whether two groups of Jews are in question. I am aware of the argument that some say there were two groups, but I disagree. I just don't see how you can get that from the plain reading of the text. Was God unable to say "Those who didn't believe answered Him?" John 8: 33. They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can you say, `You will be made free'?''
    It is clear that Jesus was talking to the same Jews who said they believed. You would have to read into the text what is not there in order to come up with the conclusion of two different groups. You know what that is called brother. We can not do that in order to support our system of belief. Don't you agree that the context of John is that we have to be born again? That is why John the third chapter goes on the tell the verdict of God sending His only Son so that they should not perish........ the verdict or judgement being that men loved darkness rather than the light. Belief is not enough. You must be born again.

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hey, heavensdad, you'd save a lot of pain if you would note that the SOUL can be righteous while the flesh and spirit are not.

Remember, it says Lot was "tormented [vexed] in his RIGHTEOUS SOUL." It is the SOUL only that is saved and safe in salvation while we still live in the earth!

Now the point you make is that our flesh and spirit ought to be seen as progressively saved/glorified but this is not always true, is it? Often no change at all appears in a pastor's or missionaries kids after salvation, right?

The point that Lot's story ought to teach all of us is that our souls are safe with God but our flesh and spirits (mind, emotions, and will) aren't until the resurrection to glory.

skypair

#40 skypair, Apr 10, 2008