1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Bush acting in our best interest?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bunyon, Dec 24, 2005.

?
  1. Bush is acting in our best interest.

100.0%
  2. Bush is not acting in our best interest.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Is Bush some whacked out power junkie trying to become an American Castro? Or is he doing what has to be done to save us from the terrorist bomb?

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The present administration thinks a proper balance of power requires that the president have more of it, and the citizens have less of it, than has been customary.

It's not the first one like that. The problem is that 9/11 gave them an opening to actually get some of our rights.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny.

I still feel the same and do the same things. No one is harrassing me for it.

Which of my rights has been taken from me?

4. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

He is acting in what he feels is our best interest.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that President Bush thinks that he is acting in the national interest but in actuality he is not by trampling on our civil rights. And his foreign policy in his first term was certainly not in our national interest since America does not need the world's approval to act but we do need the world's cooperation to succeed - as Richard Haass masterfully points out in his book, The Opportunity: America's Moment to Alter History's Course.

6. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

A-bomb people! what is it about that word that does not get your attention?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I submit that protecting us from a nuclear device can be done legally and without draconian measures that trample on the U.S. constitution and federal law.

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

How many of the 9/11 terrorist were US citizens? None! The government has every right and responsibility to monitor and watch those suspects who are not US citizens without a warrant, if a suspect is a US citizen then need to get the warrant, it's a very simple process, that should never be ignored. Let's protect our country from those who wish to kill us, while protecting the rights of our citizens.

9. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I submit that a tech. device like a supercomputer listening to conversations for key words is not a draconion measure.

10. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Bunyon, I submit that a tech. device like a supercomputer listening to conversations for key words to monitor US citizens is unconstitutional. If they want to use this method to monitor suspects who are not US citizens without a warrant, then more power to them! If they want to use this method to monitor susptects who are US citizens then they need to take the extra 10 minutes to get the warrant required. They can protect our nation and our rights at the same time.

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

The Bomb folks, we are trying to stop the Bomb!

12. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

There is so far no evidence that the President is trampling on civil rights. It is a leftist/defeatist contention only. Even if it proves to be so, it is probably totally necessary and congress will improve his ability to act in like manners. It is essential to our (and the worlds) safety. It is to be pointed out that a democracy such as we have is past the point of being a blessing to this nation, but is now a curse, delivering all manner of evil.

13. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

The average citizen has nothing to fear in this. A terrorist does. Which side each of us is on is important.

14. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Perhaps if we were lucky. But I am certainly not willing to take that chance if there are tactics giving better odds.

15. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

absolutely, and gas and biologicals, dirty bombs and suiciders and the propaganda that is tearing us down.

16. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

If President Bush did get permission, would it really change our minds about wiretapping? Lets really be honest. And you don't how long it takes to get clearing to wiretap, so don't make such claims. Also, what rights have you lost by this? We say we are losing all these rights, but I am yet to see one right I have lost (me) by the Patriot act. What did you do before the patriot act that you can't do now? Do you really think the government cares about your call to uncle Jimmy down the street, so much that they would wiretap it? Let us be realistic, and start getting off these bandwagons.

James

17. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

You seem to be obsessed with the notion of a nuclear bomb being detonated on American soil. I understand being concerned, but you act as though it is certain to happen if we don't surrender some of our rights up to the government.

Although it is possible that such an event could take place, it is also possible that we could have another nuclear accident like we had at Three Mile Island or what happened in Chernobyl. But, since a nuclear device has not been used anywhere since August 1945, I presume that it is not as easy to do as you might think.

18. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

You seem to be obsessed with the notion of a nuclear bomb being detonated on American soil. I understand being concerned, but you act as though it is certain to happen if we don't surrender some of our rights up to the government.

Although it is possible that such an event could take place, it is also possible that we could have another nuclear accident like we had at Three Mile Island or what happened in Chernobyl. But, since a nuclear device has not been used anywhere since August 1945, I presume that it is not as easy to do as you might think.
    </font>[/QUOTE]What rights have you personally surrendered? I don't understand. We act as if this is the end of free America. :confused:

James

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

How to tell if you are in a tyrannical police state
    by Thomas R. Eddlem
    December 23, 2005

Tyrannical police states have certain universal characteristics. They spy on their own citizens, kidnap people at will, and imprison them without bothering to charge them with crimes or even give them a trial by jury. Police states imprison innocent people, again and again and again. And torture or kill them at will.

How do police states get away with it? From Hitler to the present, totalitarians say that we must give up our rights and freedoms because it’s the only way for law enforcement to have the tools to protect us from catastrophic terrorist incidents. Of course, that’s the opposite course advocated by America’s Founding Fathers, like Benjamin Franklin, who counseled: “They that would give up essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.”

Now, I ask you: What do any of these things have to do with America today?

SOURCE

20. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly no more than you Bush Bashers seem to think that the chance is infinitesimally small that it WILL happen.

And, as requested already, "what rights have you, or someone you personally know, lost?" (Not what the propagandists are "afraid you MIGHT" lose).

That is like comparing the society of the USSR with the USA; two totally different entities.

Are you really suggesting that 3mile & Chernobyl are comprable? Surely you jest!

As an OT, this would certainly help in reducing dependence on foreign oil if the greenies didn't carry so much clout!