1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Christian College a good idea for your kids?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Aug 2, 2018.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying that you don't believe that the bible promises us that if we raise our children properly, when they are grown they will not depart from the faith?

2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where on earth did you get this idea from? You believe unless you spend tens of thousands on a secular indoctrinating institutes you're not trusting in the Bible's promises?

All I have to do is let my kids watch TV, CNN, movies, etc. and I can put them through the same test. And I'll save thousands! What makes you think you have to plant them in front of leftist professors to find out if you've raised them properly? The whole premise is silly.

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

TC, I dare say this 5 minute Prager U video is made just for you. This is what you're funding and asking others to fund. If you want to test your kids, let them watch Don Lemon or Anderson Cooper for a couple hours a day. Save your money!

#83 Calminian, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So you are suggesting kids attend an unaccredited online "university" (it isn't) run by a Jewish unbeliever? Really?

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's from the bible. Proverbs 22:6.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Calminian

Site Supporter

No. Watch and listen to the video, and you'll understand what I'm suggesting.

And also, ask yourself if leftists would act conversely. Would they be wiling to fund conservative Christian colleges to test their children? Would they be willing to pour thousands and tens of thousands into conservative institutes to simply prove their kids can handle it? Oh how I wish this were true.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what you are suggesting. And I am suggesting you are wrong.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This verse is talking about a child's propensities, not "The Faith." That is eisegeting the text, pure and simple. the Passage is talking about parents coming along side their children and helping them "go" the way the Lord has gifted them. It serves as an admonition as well so that parents do not try to force their child to be something God has not gifted them to be. Every child has leanings and propensities and we should "train them" in their "giftings" so that when they get older they will still be rooted in the training of the parents as well as walking out their God-given gift. I pray this helps.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But were they ever there in the 1st place

10. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take that you thought better of what you said. I have said things at times I wish I could take back too.

I don't think it is a stupid idea to study philosophy, literature, religion, art, music, history, and language. I made specific exceptions to some. I have problems with paying such a significant amount of money (2000+ per course) for others which are learned just as easily outside of the university by the reading and studying of books. I have problems paying for a degree when the degree is not needed for the job or position. I think practical considerations should be considered before going to college just to go to college.

I do agree with you on the point that when students go off to college, one should not pick a college to make sure beliefs won't ever be challenged. The kids have to leave the house sooner or later and their beliefs will be challenged. People with weak faith will buckle under the weakest challenges to their faith. I have known those in college who withdrew their faith the second they were challenged - didn't even put up a fight. They never discussed their faith with their parents and so they never discussed things with their parents when their faith was challenged. Others were just waiting for the chance to renounce their faith after they left their parents house.

It's sad but sometimes children simply have chosen to reject God. I have a niece who has made the conscious effort to reject God despite the rest of her family and despite her going to a Christian private school when she was young. About the age of 10, she rejected God and made it public to the family. No Christian wants their kid to do this, but I don't think sending their kid to a "safe" college is going to help. The kid has to make their own decision whether to have faith in Jesus or not.

I think parents should choose a college or technical education which will best prepare their kid for what they want to do. And if the kid wants to be a philosophy professor, I guess I would try to find the best philosophy program for them to attend and tell the kid, they have better make nothing less than an A because there is a lot of competition for doctorate programs in philosophy and for positions as philosophy professors. There are worse things for a kid to want to become. (tongue in cheek.)

Marty

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Calminian

Site Supporter

Another interesting PragerU video on Colleges. They are leftist indoctrination centers, not only paid for by taxes, but also the freewill offerings of many conservative Christians.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cal, while the concerns the Prager videos raise are real. Schools (Bob Jones University and Maranatha Baptist University for example) TC and I would recommend are not covered by them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Calminian

Site Supporter

We're in agreement, for the most part, that a conservative Christian college, that doesn't promote leftist, would be a smart choice and a smart investment in society.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So a Christian conservative college would be Diversity City?
    :eek:

15. Calminian

Site Supporter

Most, yes. Social justice, democrat clubs, evolution, you name it.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to listen to Dennis Prager. One of the things I vehemently disagree with him on is his advice that a high school graduate take a year off before deciding what to do with one's life, including going to college. Travel, explore, get to know yourself, he says. That's got to be the worst advice I've ever heard.

(For the most part I agree with him that colleges are bastions of leftist philosophy.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Throwing awau the Bibler?? :eek: O O

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holdover form my "tongue talking days"

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

Just caught this new article from CMI.

Nice theologians leading the church away from the truth
    Nice church folk can destroy a person’s faith
    by Dr Don Batten Managing Director, CMI-Australia

This may sum up the problem with modern Christian Colleges.

Church leaders who compromise the Word of God can be far more effective at destroying faith than an atheist professor railing against God. This is because one can easily recognize the wiles of the enemy when it comes from self-professed opposition. It is not as obvious when the deception comes from within. Veterinarian Dr Jean Lightner shared how destructive this was to her:

“When I was having doubts, one of the most damaging things for my faith was when I read a respected Christian teacher who basically said that the Bible does not really mean what it says, particularly the creation account. That was probably more detrimental to me than the evolutionary teachers insisting that they were right. It was devastating to hear a Christian leader basically say, ‘God doesn’t mean that; you don’t have to believe that’.”​

So as bad as secular colleges are, at least Christian kids will go in, knowing their teachers are hostile to the faith. They'll be on their guard, doubting and ready to research. Not so at the Christians colleges filled with nice professors teaching false, faith shattering doctrines with great big smiles. :D

#99 Calminian, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is indeed a sad day when so called Christian Universities would teach evolution and social morality that agrees with the World and not God!