1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Christian television truly Christian?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Boanerges, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

There ya go, boney, on yet another pontification rampage. You completely ignore my questions to you, but when it suits you to hijack your own thread, you take it hook, line, and sinker.

One can only be led to believe that your OP was disengenuous. :rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]In time Johnny.....in time....meanwhile I am going to let this develop a bit.

The results will be in shortly. I am still researching and reviewing John my pal. [​IMG]

2. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

I think I figured out what Boanerges is referring to. There is a Christian channel called Sky Angel that has recently added some secular programming to its lineup. It has MASH, murder mysteries, FOX News, and this guy named Michael Rood. I found some information about him here:

http://www.isitso.org/guide/rood.html

http://www.isitso.org/guide/roodawaken.html

Here is what they said about their new programming:

http://www.skyangel.com/About/Media.asp?IdS=001185-EAD7500&id=95

http://www.skyangel.com/Programming/Index.asp?IdS=001185-EAD7500&x=003|000&~=

I think that if a Christian channel is going to criticize secular programming, then it is probably not a good idea to then turn around and add some of it to their lineup.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, C'mon. The question was asked: What station are you referring to, and what programming are they airing that you have a problem with?

PS - I'm going to respectfully ask that you stop referring to me as Johnny. No one calls me that, and I don't recall giving you permission to do so. I've asked you to refrain int eh past, and you have ignored my request. The only reason I can think of for you to ignore such a resuest is disrespect.
    :confused: How can we respond accurately without knowing what station you're referring to?

Again, what station are you referring to, and what programmign is it that you have a problem with? There is no reason whatsoever to withhold that information. Lacking that information, you haven't been able to demonstrate that a "Christian" station is running any such programming, and in your pontification, you have judged me falsely.
    If that's correct, I don't see much of a problem there. Sky Angel does not promote itself as being exclusively Christian in the content of its programming. It promoted Christian and family friendly programming. I think M*A*S*H generally qualifies as family friendly, rarely, if ever, containing foul language, sexually graphic situations, or gratuitous violence. I'm frankly more concerned with Hal Lindsey being on Sky Angel than M*A*S*H.

4. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Could you show me in Galatians 5 and 1 Corinthians 6 [as well as other passages] where I can find the word "rarely" as a criteria for what is acceptable.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The only think you're accomplishing is your lack of sincerity in this thread. By your application, there is practically nothing, be it via stage, screen, or print, that is acceptible.

You continue to refuse to answer questions, while posing new questions of your own. Now, stop asking questions, and answer the questions that have been posed to you.

6. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Not by my application John...by the Word, which is the only standard we can judge things by. So if a Chrisitan family thinks that it is good to sit around and laugh at sexual situations that are forbidden in the Bible, or drunkeness, that is forbidden in the Bible, or cross dressing, that is forbiddden in the Bible, what can I say? I'm speechless.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's not what this thread is about. This thread is about Christian television. You have completely refused to address questions about the OP, an OP which you started. That is evidence that your OP was dishonest.
    Given that you disrespect fellow posters by not answering questions posed to you, your lack of speech is selective to the disrespect of others. Not to mention, the manner in which you wield the Word here is a perversion of the Word. I'd explain it to you, but you continually demonstrate a refusal to listen to other posters.

8. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

John,

It is obvious that you are submerged in the things that the world has to offer, which as a professing Christian, is a dangerous place to be. Becuase of this, even if you decided to "explain it", I could not listen to you, because your concepts plainly do not line up with scripture.

Your pal,

Boney

aka. "thunder dude"

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yeah, you've got all the answers, except to the questions posed to you in a thread.
    Professing Christians aren't dishonest, as you have been in this thread.
    I look forward to the day when you develop the ability to have a respectful conversation.

10. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I look forward to the day, when I can have a conversation with you that is based on Scripture, and not on feelings. [​IMG]

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's very sincere of you to admit that you've got a problem discerning your feelings and scripture. That's very adult of you. I wish you well in your spiritual growth.

12. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Just for the record John, Eloi guessed what was behind door number 2 nine posts back. You can cease and desist with the pouting now Mr. B-Goode. [​IMG]

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And that excuses your unrighteous pontificating, how? Oh, wait, it doesn't. You can cease and desist with your holier than though attitude, Mr. Pharisee.

14. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

When someone quotes scripture, and uses it as their only baseline, It really troubles you doesn't it John?

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Let it go. You were dishonest in this thread. You were disrespectful towards other psoters. You were unrighteous in your agenda. All the quoting from scripture in the world doesn't excuse your behavior. All you're doing is demonstrating your immaturity every time you post.

I'm willing to bet that you're so insistent on having the last word in a thread, that you'll find you have to respond after this post.

16. standingfirminChrist

Brethren, Brethren,

This is turning into something it should not. Step back and take a breather.

17. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Nice try at intimidation, and then manipulation John, but unfortunately since you have made these accusations, I will put them to rest once and for all.

I asked if Christian television was really Christian. I then proved, that by a Biblical definition, it wasn't.There is no sliding scale when it comes to God's Word. If you can prove Scripturally that it is, then I will reconsider my statements (that I stand by).Until that time, you are shouting into the wind. The Bible John...use it as the plumbline.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You did no such thing. You never said what channel it was, and never said what programming it was that they were carrying. You asked about peoples' thoughts on the show M*A*S*H, but never said that this is what was being aired, and still did not identify the channel.

When another poster guessed at the channel in question, you still did not affirm it until cornered.
    The problem is that you've started with a false premise. First, Sky Angel does not claim to be exclusively Christian. They promote Christian and family friendly faire. M*A*S*H qualifies, at least to some extent, as family friendly. I never said it was 100% wholesome or biblically consistent.

In other words, you're complaining about the existence of something based upon a false premise. The question was Is Christian Television Truly Christian?" Sky Angel doesn't claim to be "truly" or excusively Christian in programming content.

I personally don't have Sky Angel, but from what I can tell, I'll take most of what's on Sky Angel over most of what's on TBN any day.

19. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

here's a quote:
    Only the Sky Angel family of networks offers you a positive television and radio alternative: 36 Christ-centered and family-friendly TV and radio channels. Now get the uplifting, life-changing programming you’re looking for all in one place. It's Worry-Free TV™!

At the same time, you will be playing a necessary role in helping to build up the world’s only Christian-owned and
    -operated direct-to-home multi-channel television service to ensure that there will always be a secure electronic outlet for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and programs promoting biblical values.

there is an absence of positive choices on TV, before long the line between good and evil becomes blurred, no matter what your age. If you have cable, satellite or broadcast TV, then you also need another TV source to counter the negative influences and provide life-changing programs to help you in your everyday life. The Sky Angel satellite system is the only television service that can provide a Christ-centered and family-friendly alternative to your TV viewing. Whether you use Sky Angel with your current TV service or have it alone, the choice to have Worry-Free TV™ is finally yours!

Sky Angel isn’t just a must-have for homes. Sky Angel is a perfect fit with churches, youth centers, hospitals, prisons and more! Click here for details.

http://www.skyangel.com/About/Index.asp?IdS=000521-9101AF0&Reference=Overview&~=

M*A*S*H in church, youth centers ??????????

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would wonder what a TV is doing in a youth center in the first place.

BTW, M*A*S*H is actually being shown on the Hallmark Channel, which is NOT a Christian station, but one of the channels available on Sky Angel.

Sky Angel has the following channels:

Guardian Television Network
    Hallmark Channel
    Hallmark Movie Channel
    Safe TV Channel
    FOX News Channel
    KTV-Kids and Teens Television
    HGTV
    SPIRIT
    The Worship Network
    TVU
    Faith TV