1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Christian television truly Christian?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Boanerges, Feb 9, 2006.

1. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

I would wonder what a TV is doing in a youth center in the first place.

BTW, M*A*S*H is actually being shown on the Hallmark Channel, which is NOT a Christian station, but one of the channels available on Sky Angel.
    </font>[/QUOTE]So perhaps you can tell me why this is stated by Sky Angel:

The Sky Angel satellite system is the only television service that can provide a Christ-centered and family-friendly alternative to your TV viewing. Whether you use Sky Angel with your current TV service or have it alone, the choice to have Worry-Free TV™ is finally yours!

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If the concern is truly genuine, then all subscribers should call for Sky Channel to remove TBN from their lineup. I'm frankly much more concerned with my child watching TBN than the Hallmark Channel.

3. eloidalmanutha

wow, John - you would let your teenage son watch M*A*S*H? but not TBN . . .
    either way the kids are being raped spiritually. It's not just sad, it's totally deplorable - what are we thinking?????? . . . [​IMG]

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, I'd let my teenager watch MASH, but as I said waaaaayyy earlier in this thread, that has more to do with the fact that my teenaged children have demonstrated a well-developed sense of discernment. If that sense were lacking, I would not let them watch it.

But TBN, much of the programming on it is Word of Faith poison disguised as wholesome, making even the most discerning person susceptible to it.

5. eloidalmanutha

Yes, I'd let my teenager watch MASH, but as I said waaaaayyy earlier in this thread, that has more to do with the fact that my teenaged children have demonstrated a well-developed sense of discernment. If that sense were lacking, I would not let them watch it.

But TBN, much of the programming on it is Word of Faith poison disguised as wholesome, making even the most discerning person susceptible to it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]so you think it's ok that watching smut on TV will not corrupt their minds [spiritual rape], yet you want to protect them from spiritual rape on TBN . . . no wonder christians are getting eaten alive, chewed up, and spit out.

ps: the reason christians are diving into charismania is because they have no foundation in God's Word. perhaps that's writing on the wall that I see - time to get the house in order, John, you are headed for a train wreck of astronomical porportions.

6. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

The point is john, that you should be concerned about them watching either of them.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's quite extreme, to call M*A*S*H smut. No, I don't allow my kids to watch smut. A bit more discernment, not to mention a kind word, might be in order for you.
    My, that's a bit judgemental of you. My teenaged kids are of the most upright, Godly, and righteous character. I thank God for that. I never have to worry about them (I do anyway, though; it's my parental paranoia). Not that you'd ever take the time to know.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm more in agreement with you than you think. I'm thankful that they have discernment. If their discernment were lacking, their freedoms would be different. Note that I have a younger child who has not yet developed his sense of discernment. I wouldn't let him watch M*A*S*H. My older kids, I would, because they at their own choosing will either turn the tv off or change the channel if there is something they find objectionable.

Each parent needs to be permitted the spirutal freedom to set the rules for their own household accordingly, without having to face ridicule from outsiders in the church. But there is no shortage in the church of armchair child experts who think they know better than the parents.

9. eloidalmanutha

It's quite extreme, to call M*A*S*H smut. No, I don't allow my kids to watch smut. A bit more discernment, not to mention a kind word, might be in order for you.
    My, that's a bit judgemental of you. My teenaged kids are of the most upright, Godly, and righteous character. I thank God for that. I never have to worry about them (I do anyway, though; it's my parental paranoia). Not that you'd ever take the time to know.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I used to watch M*A*S*H* back in my BC [before Christ] days. It *is* smut, John. It is full of sexual inneundo, a wanna be transvestite, and a total lack of regard for God's Word.

Abstain from all appearance of evil. You can't have it both ways. I was not judging you, simply stating a fact, John. It grieves my heart because I know what the outcome will be. Been there, done that . . .

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you think M*A*S*H is truly smut, then I think you need more discernment on what constitutes smut. But that's a subject for a different topic.

As for the appearance of evil, that's not what scripture says. You're misapplying the verse. Scripture says to abstain from all forms of evil, not every appearance of it.

As for claiming to know the outcome, I appreciate the concern, but I know better the outcome of my children than you do. Sorry, that's a fact.

11. standingfirminChrist

Now, see, this is where Christian morals and standards are breaking down more and more.

40 years ago the majority of what is on M*A*S*H* would be considered as Eloi says, 'SMUT'

Hawkeye Pierce constantly talking about going to bed with a female nurse.
    Major Frank Burns, who is married, having an affair with Hotlips Hoolihan.
    Drunken Doctors
    Corporal Klinger dressing up in a woman's dress is questionable as well. But that has been going on for many years. Remember Uncle Miltie? That's right... Milton Berle dressed as a woman too.

The long and short of it is this, what was viewed as smut back then is no longer considered as being smut today. Christian values are no longer as strong as they were.

Reminds me of what the Psalmist wrote in the first Psalm and verse 1...

Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

You see what is happening here? First man is walking in the counsel of the ungodly listening to their advice rather than to depend on God, then he is standing around with them not caring about the sin at all, then he has been so indoctrinated that he is finally sitting in the seat of those who are repulsed by anything that is called good.

It has happened in the television media today. Open your eyes.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Interesting, since M*A*S*H debuted on TV nearly 40 years ago.

Anyhoo, this thread isn't about the show M*A*S*H in general. It's about Christian television. I've noted that it's a false critique, since the Hallmark Channel never claims to be a Christian station. To complain that a satellite network carries Hallmark, but not claim that they carry TBN, or Fix News, is a bit of a double standard.

13. standingfirminChrist

According to Quest, their advertisement of The Hallmark Channel is as such...

14. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Interesting, since M*A*S*H debuted on TV nearly 40 years ago.

Anyhoo, this thread isn't about the show M*A*S*H in general. It's about Christian television. I've noted that it's a false critique, since the Hallmark Channel never claims to be a Christian station. To complain that a satellite network carries Hallmark, but not claim that they carry TBN, or Fix News, is a bit of a double standard.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am not complaining about MASH in particular. My complaint is that a Christian channel is criticizing the evils of secular television, and its effects on your kids, and then turns around and put secular programs that have worldly stuff in their "family friendly" programs. Same same John. Christians will believe anything these days it appears. Do you want to talk about the FOX network/news that is owned by Rupert Murdock? That is another can of worms.(what the heck, he owns zondervan) :eek:

15. standingfirminChrist

Interesting thing is, we are living in the days when they call good evil, and evil good.

Christian television started going downhill way before it's first episode of 'Touched By An Angel'.

It truly is sad that they preach against the evils of the worldly stations and then bring much the same programming into their own station.

Dumbing down of Christianity? I believe so.

16. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I spoke with a Pastor friend the other day, and I asked him the same question that I have asked many people these days. The question was, if you have ten "professing" Christians in a room, by their actions, what percent of them really demonstrate that they are, by living the faith. His response was three in ten. That answer seems to be consistant thus far in my survey. I have also been sitting in on Bible studies at various assemblies. I am often amazed on how the baby Christians often have the best responses, while those saved 20-30 years sit there like a deer in the headlights. The world is coming to a church near you.The sad thing is, that most people are not equipped to even recognize it.

17. standingfirminChrist

Linda and I rarely turn on the TV to watch regular programming. We watch CNN News or FoxNews, that is about it.

We occasionally throw a movie into the DVD or VCR. Last night, we watched a couple old movies.

The Cross and the Switchblade
    and
    Cry on the Mountain

Both were great movies, but we enjoyed Cry on the Mountain better.

18. eloidalmanutha

I am curious - hope this is not off-topic - but on TV and movies, since I was a kid in the 50's, christians have pretty much been portrayed as weak, quivering, anti-violent, down trodden soggy messes. Could this "profile" have affected christians adversely - so that they want to appear to be very tough, able to survive worldly influence yet retain spirituality?

Could this at least be a factor in the ensuing lack of affect and lack of discernment when it comes to recognition of not being of the world, yet part of it?

It's ok if you tell me I am out to lunch :D I don't really want to get the topic off course too much - just thinking :eek:

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You were prior. Neither here nor there, I guess.

I don't see Sky Angel doing any criticizing. I see a sales pitch. Sky Angel is a for profit company, not a ministry. I expect them to do business like a for profit company, not a ministry.

My first question is: Do you subscribe to Sky Angel? Likely not, methinks. Neither do I. I'm a cable kinda guy.

Again, where was the concern over them carrying TBN? Noticeably absent. Methinks the concern is much ado over nothing. M*A*S*H is adequately family friendly. Not the best example, obviously, but adequate. Family friendly does not mean immune from discernment on behalf of the parents. Anyone who thinks so is quite naive.

The fault lies with Christians who practically think that Sky Angel is the second coming, from which spawns the criticism therein. I do not think anything remotely close. I'm not dissatisfied with what they offer, but again, I'm not a subscriber in the first place.
    Not particularly. I noted it because it point to the fact that the critique of Sky Angel is obtusely subjective.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Those who claim that typically call evil evil, good evil, and everything in between evil. By doing so, they end up with little credibility to accurately discern evil as evil, let alone lacking the ability to discern when good is being called evil as per the scriptural verse.
    I wasn't aware that there was ever such a thing as Christian television. Therein lies a major fault. Complaining that something is going downhill, yet that something they claim doesn't even exist.
    Legalism and hyperfundamentalism did a wonderful job of dumbing down Christainity long before the invention of the television.