1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is deliberately tattered/shredded clothing immodest?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, May 30, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The linked article is written by a Catholic. If I find one written by a Baptist, I'll link it. While the article gives the viewpoint of one Catholic, this is a topic that should be thoughtfully studied and considered by Baptists.
    Is It Immodest to Wear Deliberately Ripped Clothes?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a pair of purposefully distressed jeans. There are my favorite pair. They are not distressed in any wrong place. They are distressed at the knee.

Some distressed clothing is tacky and over the top.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had some of those when I was a youngster, I guess I just distressed the heck out of the knees playing... Couldn't wear them to school and didn't let Mom throw them out... Cut them off at the knee and they became shorts... Brother Glen:)

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends how badly they are ripped - if they are modest or not.

But IMHO- I like to take pride in the way I look. Would never purchase such clothing.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the author of the op is assigning a definition to the word "modest" that is new. The long standing and correct understanding of that word deals with how much of certain areas of the body are revealed. Further, the author has their own definition of what is "real clothing". That idea is subjective at best. Tattered/shredded clothing can be immodest if it is revealing but is not always immodest.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care what they wear as long as certain parts of the anatomy are properly covered up.

BTW I had a pair of jeans that naturally became "distressed" after I wore them out.

I tried patching them but just as Jesus said you can't put a new patch on old jeans.
    It was a disaster.