1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Dispensationalism Elitist?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by OldRegular, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Apparently some individuals would rather take a nap than check references and quotes to determine what is true and what is not.

[​IMG]

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Hmm, there is an accusation, but where is the evidence?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

He gave you a reference in "WARNING!!! The pastor who wrote this article teaches many false doctrines, including KJO extremism and that born-again Baptists who sin will spend 1,000 years in hell before going to be with Christ.'

Sounds like a 1000 year purgatory. Does he accept indulgences too? With all his preaching against the RCC it seems that the RCC has pervaded his doctrine of hell and purgatory.

Was that not sufficient?

4. Craigbythesea

What man needs to refute a pastor who teaches that born-again Baptists who sin will spend 1,000 years in hell before going to be with Christ when God has already refuted and rebuked that pastor in the Bible! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

He gave you a reference in "WARNING!!! The pastor who wrote this article teaches many false doctrines, including KJO extremism and that born-again Baptists who sin will spend 1,000 years in hell before going to be with Christ.'

Sounds like a 1000 year purgatory. Does he accept indulgences too? With all his preaching against the RCC it seems that the RCC has pervaded his doctrine of hell and purgatory.

Was that not sufficient?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I suppose it is sufficient for someone who doesn't check their references, right Craig? I didn't realize that debating was so simple. Look at him, he believes like the JW's. I win!

6. Craigbythesea

Duh! You posted it yourself!

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Stop hurting my feelings, guys, your going to make me cry.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I suppose it is sufficient for someone who doesn't check their references, right Craig? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Do you really think believers will spend 1000 years in hell? What scripture do you have to support that idea?

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

and a few others as well

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

All I can say is take a few minutes and grab a concordance to see how believe and belief is used and then tell us what you found about what a believer is.

Regarding your 1000 years idea is that what you would call purgatory?

Sured doesn't fit with what Paul writes in 2 Cor. 5:8, "we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord."

Try looking at Luke 16:20-31, ""And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores, and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man's table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. "Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. "And he cried out and said, `Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.' "But Abraham said, `Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. `And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and [that] none may cross over from there to us.' "And he said, `Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father's house-- for I have five brothers--in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.' "But Abraham ^said, `They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.' "But he said, `No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!' "But he said to him, `If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.' "

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm sure we touched on luke 16 somewher in that thread. I am leaving for the day and will probably not post any until the day after Christmas. Read through it and some of the others, and if you can find an argument that hasn't been brought up already, lets discuss it. I will concede that it is 'like purgatory'. That doesn't mean it isn't true. The reasons purgatory are unbiblical are not because it teaches that a believer might be punished after death. And no, my pastor does not sell indulgences.

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Read 9, 10 and 11.

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

WARNING !!! Pay no attention to that little man by the sea! He doesn't know what he saith! I am the Great OZ!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another thing I wonder is how a dispensationalist could ever support capital punishment because they believe we are under the dispensation of grace and because of that the law is no longer valid. In effect the law is done away with. If that is the case, then capital punishment is done away with.

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Wrong. Thank you for pointing out again that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

The Law (Old Covenant) was done away with by Christ. John says as much in 1:17.

Christ and Paul each affirmed the right of the government to take a person's life.

Keep posting, you only embarrass yourself in this discussion.

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

But not as a mistake or a second plan. Some dispensationalists teach that, but dispenationalism does not. You are not making adequate distinctions and you are thus operating off of straw men. Please stop.

Back off OR. I did not say you lied. I said this thread was filled with untruths, which is undeniable. It is a fact. However, you are probably simply mistaken, rather than lying. Lying carries with it the intent, and I am not accusing your of intending to be wrong about dispensationalism. But even though your untruths are unintentional, they are still untrue.

But as I suspected about Ryrie and literal interpretation, you did not rightly representation. On pages 90-91, he says exactly what I said, and exactly what MacArthur said. OR, you make it hard for me to believe that you have arrived at studied conclusinos when you make such egregious errors that are easily solved by studying your opponents. As I often tell arminians, you don't have to be a Calvinist like I am, but at least disagree with what I believe, not with what you wish I believed. Ryrie directly answered your objection about figures of speech in his book, as I suspected.

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Or that all too often used category of late known as Craig doesn't know what he is talking about. Merriam Webster is not a theological dictionary and should not be used to define theological ideas and terms. Literal interpretation is clearly defined in numerous hermeneutics books. IT would do you well to expand your knowledge.

You are certainly full of yourself and it is obviously without merit. You are wrong, simply put. There is no more clear way to say it. You don't know what you are talking about and you have demonstrated that. Read Ryrie; read Showers, read Terry; read McClain; read read read ... Don't make up your own ideas.

No, actually I am right. If you had studied as much you claim, you would know that. This point is so rudimentary, any educated dispensationalist would laugh their heads off at your claim.

Larry, this is absolutely false information and you owe everyone on this board an apology for posting this false information!</font>[/QUOTE]I posted no false information and if you had studied more than me about this, then you would know that. The good thing is that you don't take my word for it. I can prove my point by using readily available published resources (some of which are too deep for some to plow through). This is what the following advocated:
    For a representative defense of the single intent/authorial intention model, see E. D. Hirsch, Jr., Validity in Interpretation (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1967); Walter C. Kaiser, “The Single Intent of Scripture,” in Evangelical Roots: A Tribute to Wilbur Smith, ed. K. S. Kantzer (Nashville: Nelson, 1978); and Milton S. Terry, Biblical Hermeneutics (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1974).

Your previous comments about literalism showed that you did. Your comments were well written about translation. They were almost completely inaccurate about interpretation. Literal interpretation has nothing to do with "word for word" vs. "thought for thought." If you have studied as you as you claim, then you should not be making this mistake. Literal interpretation is about the authority of the text and the plain meaning of the words. Again, I have given you sources to help your understanding.

[/qb]This is absurd. Read Hirsch's Validity in Interpretation to see this. The author's intent is what drives meaning. If he misspeaks, then he miscommunicates. See above. You are just completely wrong on literal intepreration.

Your rebuke should be directed at yourself. You are simply wrong. I have given the published sources that clearly refute your mistaken notions. I cannot take you seriously. You have made too many mistakes and this is simply another in a long line. You are misrepresenting your opponent in this matter. If this is what you were taught, then you should demand your money back. You were taught wrongly. The resources I have given will clearly show that to be the case.

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

John Darby in his Synopsis to the Bible, the Introduction to Matthew writes:

“Let us now consider the Gospel by Matthew. This Gospel sets Christ before us in the character of the Son of David and of Abraham, that is to say, in connection with the promises made to Israel, but presents Him withal as Emmanuel, Jehovah the Saviour, for such the Christ was. It is He who, being received, should have accomplished the promises (and hereafter He will do so) in favour of this beloved people.” Reference: http://bible.christiansunite.com/darbyindex.shtml

Please note that John Darby, the godfather of dispensationalism states of our Great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,[Titus 2:13]: He ... should have accomplished the promises.

First what promises was Darby talking about? He was talking about the so-called promise of a so-called Messianic kingdom. As I have noted before a basic premise of Darbyism is that Jesus Christ came to establish the Messianic kingdom for the Jews, that they rejected Him, and that He established the Church instead [Herman Hoyt, a dispensationalist, in The Millennium, Four Viewpoints, by Clouse, pages 84-88].

Consider now the meaning of the word should in the context used by Darby. Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary gives the meaning as: must; ought [used to indicate duty propriety, or expediency]. So John Darby is saying that Jesus Christ was obligated to establish the Messianic kingdom.

This remark is in total disagreement with the words of Jesus Christ in His High Priestly Prayer as recorded in John 17:4 [KJV] I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. The only conclusion that one can draw from Darby’s remarks [as well as those of Hoyt] is that he is denying what Jesus Christ plainly states to God the Father and to us: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do..

Jesus Christ states in John 4:34 [KJV] My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work]. If Jesus Christ came to establish the ‘earthly’ Messianic Kingdom, He would have established it, otherwise He would not have been able to say to the Father I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. To claim that Jesus Christ came to establish such a kingdom but failed in that task and established the Church instead is to deny the words of Jesus Christ Himself. To do so is to call into question either the truthfulness and deity of Jesus Christ or the sovereignty of God. The truth of the matter is that the rejection of Jesus Christ by the Jews was for the simple reason that He did not fulfill their carnal desire for an ‘earthly’ Messianic Kingdom that would throw off the yoke of Rome.

Not all the Jews, however, rejected Jesus Christ. There were those who, like Nathanael, declared Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel [John 1:49] or who, like Peter, declared Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God [Matthew 16:16]. Those Jews who exercised such faith were born again into the Kingdom of God [or as Paul writes in Colossians 1:13] translated into the kingdom of his dear Son and formed the nucleus of the Church in its New Testament form.

Jesus Christ came to purchase His Bride [Revelation 21:2, 9], the Church, with His own blood [Acts 20:28]. That Church is the fellowship, the household, of all those who are redeemed to God through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, those chosen in Him from the foundation of the world [Ephesians 1:4]. Jesus Christ came to do the will of the Father and only the will of the Father and that He did, saying on the cross: It is finished [John 19:30].