1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is free will an illusion?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

J Jump;

EVIL SPIRIT (NT)
    Acts, chapter 19
    "12": So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.

"13": Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

"14": And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.

"15": And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?

"16": And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

KJMatt.12

"43": When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.

"44": Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.

"45": Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

GOOD SPIRIT (NT)
    Corinthians, chapter 3"16":
    Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

If you took it to mean all Christians in first post you misunderstood me. Sorry about that.

You can call it cherry pickin all you want, I call it Scripture.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Do you believe in original sin, and if so, what does that mean?

Joseph Botwinick

HP: I am not an Arminian, but I do love John Wesley on this point. Here is what he said. “The Scripture does not, that I remember, anywhere say, in express words, that the sin of Adam is imputed to his children; or, that the sins of believers are imputed to Christ; or, that the righteousness of Christ is imputed to believers: but the true meaning of these expressions is sufficiently found in several places of Scripture.” “Yet since these express words and phrases, of the imputation of Adam’s sin to us, of our sins to Christ, and of Christ’s righteousness to us, are not plainly written in Scripture we should not impose it on every Christian, to use these very expressions. Let every one take his liberty, either of confining himself to strictly Scriptural language, or manifesting his sense of these plain Scriptural doctrines, in words and phrases of his own.”

One thing we should all agree on is that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, and are in need of a Savior. I personally feel that the only Scriptural definition of sin is; sin is the willful transgression of a known commandment of God.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bob there is no misunderstanding there. It's exactly what you wrote. You said "we." You consider yourself to be a Christian, so "we" would include you and other Christians. If "we" do evil then our spirit is evil, and if "we" (Bob and other Christians do good) then our spirit is good.

Once again Bob you take a passage of Scripture that talks about a certain individual or certain individuals and then apply it to all of mankind. Yes it is Scripture that you are misapplying.

Do you really believe all unsaved peolpe are demon possessed? Do you believe you were demon possessed as a lost person?

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

JJ;
    I use "we" in that post as a entire people but apparently I should of spelled it out for you.

I believe for sure that all unsaved are being led by an evil spirit for who every you lend your member to then you are the servant thereof.

I believe the saved are led by the Spirit of God, for as many as are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God.

Now, in the first post when I said we it is plain if you are doing evil you are not the saved and if you are led by a Good Spirit then you are the children of God

In order to be a Christian the evil spirit must be cast out and the Good Spirit come in.

I think I know more about my own post than you do. If you disagree with what has just been posted here then you are the cherry picker of the month.

#24 Brother Bob, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2006
  5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Brother Bob you certainly know more about your post than I do that is for sure, but you need to type what you mean and mean what you type. When you use the word we that is an inclusive word that includes you and others. That's just the way the language works.

It continues to sound to me that you are trying to dig yourself out of a hole you created that is impossible to climb out of.

If you intended to not include yourself in the group of the evil doers then we is not the proper term to use.

But irregardless your doctrine is still not square with what the Bible teaches. The Bible teaches that a saved person can choose to walk in the flesh or can choose to walk in the Spirit.

Nowhere in Scripture does it say that all unsaved are indwelt by an evil spirit before they are saved.

Bob so you believe the Holy Spirit leads a person to sin? Because we still do sin after we are saved, right? So the logical conclusion of your statement is that the Holy Spirit is the one that leads us to sin because we are led by the Holy Spirit if we are saved. Yeah that's definitely not in the Bible.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So now we are going to take it individual by individual. God is no respect of person.
    I stand by the Scripture "as many as are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God. Are you denying the Scripture now?

You are really not an English teacher so you should not try and take on the roll. We (as a people) is a proper way to use we.

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bob guess what you are a part of that people. You can dance around it all you want to, but the bottom line is any way you put it that is the wrong thing to say. If you didn't want to include yourself then you should have said that the unsaved are led by an evil spirit or they are led by an evil spirit. That would have taken you out of the mix.

Exactly. Eternal salvation is an individual thing. It is not a corporate thing any longer. Your signaure says it all . . . whosoever will . . . that's individual.

Nope not at all. When we are dying to self and allowing the Spirit to work in us we are definitely being led by the Spirit, walking in the Spirit, however you want to classify that. But when we sin it is an ABSOLUTE guarantee that we are not being led by the Spirit. Because that would mean if we were being Spirit led then the Spirit is a sinner. And we both know that there is ABSOLUTELY NO sin/imperfection at all within the Godhead, so I'm not sure where you are coming up with this stuff.

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Here is webster's dictionary definition of we:

The plural nominative case of the pronoun of the first person; the word with which a person in speaking or writing denotes a number or company of which he is one, as the subject of an action expressed by a verb.

Here is dictionary.com's definition of we:
    1. Used by the speaker or writer to indicate the speaker or writer along with another or others as the subject: We made it to the lecture hall on time. We are planning a trip to Arizona this winter.
      [*]Used to refer to people in general, including the speaker or writer: “How can we enter the professions and yet remain civilized human beings?” (Virginia Woolf).
    2. Used instead of I, especially by a writer wishing to reduce or avoid a subjective tone.
    3. Used instead of I, especially by an editorialist, in expressing the opinion or point of view of a publication's management.
    4. Used instead of I by a sovereign in formal address to refer to himself or herself.
    5. Used instead of you in direct address, especially to imply a patronizing camaraderie with the addressee: How are we feeling today?

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1. Used instead of you in direct address, especially to imply a patronizing camaraderie with the addressee: How are we feeling today? (Now this would be a silly remark if it included you.)

Main Entry: we [​IMG]
    Pronunciation: 'wE
    Function: pronoun, plural in construction
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English wE; akin to Old High German wir we, Sanskrit vayam
    2 : 1[SIZE=-1]I[/SIZE] -- used by sovereigns; used by writers to keep an impersonal character [​IMG]

Maybe this will help?

We the United States are fighting in Iraq. ( I am not over there, maybe this will help also.)

You miss the whole point in which I used "we". I used it talking about mankind, which does include me I think.

Surely we (United States) didn't kill a bunch of innocent civilians?

#29 Brother Bob, Jun 3, 2006
  10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Guess what Bob you are a member of the United States so even though you are not personally there you are represented, because you are a member of the country.

Keep dancing.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You the one with ants in your pants.
    Guess what, I am a part of the human race also but don't make me a Christian.

Now lets see you dance, you shouldn't have any trouble.

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

What are you talking about. No one has ever said that being part of the human race makes you a Christian. You are just making things up. Now it is time for me to leave this unproductive exchange.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Great post:thumbs:

The double talk espoused from calvinism always makes me dizzy. Choosing, giving the option to choose, and decision making have been instilled into man by God, so what is it to us what God has given us, or commanded us to do in regards to salvation? The redefining of plain phrases and terms has always amazed me.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There goes another one. :)

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Paul does not say “those who at one time were of the spirit are still setting their minds on the things of the spirit”. Paul is dealing with the present state of a lost person as contrasted to the present state of a saved person. He does not say here – that a presently saved person was never at one time lost.

He also does not say that a presently lost person was never at one time saved.

Paul argues that "salvation makes a real tangible difference in the life - the walk - of a Christian with regard to the law of God. He
    argues that without the new birth / new covenant /empowered life of the spirit - man does not and can not be in subjection and
    obedience to God's word - his law.

Notice there are two things going on here. Christ paid our debt, but then part-ii of the gospel he makes into new creations (2Cor 5) "old things are passed away and all things are become new".

He tells us we have been crucified with Christ "
    and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me" Gal 2:20. The old me could not please God or conform to his law - i could not according to Rom 8:7 - totally lost.

But now that is in contrast with the mind set on the spirit that "puts to death the sinful deeds of the flesh" - freed from condemnation and puting away sin is contrasted with slavery to sin and being under condemnation. The main body of Romans 8 2-15 deals with the very subject of obedience to God's law (impossible) pre-salvation vs freedom from slavery to rebellion that comes after salvation - obedience to God's law.

The law's requirement of death is fulfilled and it's requirement of obedience for those that walk not according to the flesh. What does it mean to walk not according to the flesh? John gives even more detail

This is again a statement made in the present tense regarding the saved person making the claim to abide in Christ..

And so on through Romans 8 Paul is contrasting the rebellion in the walk of those without salvation vs the obedience in the life and walk of those that accept the gospel.

faith established the law - because it frees us from "obligation to sin" as "slaves to sin" and frees us from the obligation to
    live according to the flesh. In fact we are under obligation to live according to the spirit. As Christ shows in matt 18 – under obligation to forgive others just as we have truly been forgiven freely and graciously by God himself.

#35 BobRyan, Jun 3, 2006
  16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The wordly person does not have the Spirit of God, but he does have a spirit. I never did believe the spirit was saved and the body lost or visa versa. No need to bother Bob Ryan, he said he was not coming back. :laugh: :laugh:

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    OK - well I am happy to "agree with those who remain" ;)

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It's amazing how so many of you take such a simple message and make it into such a confusing, twisting, turning, hilly, mountainous journey.

The simple message of grace is that if anyone will believe in the substitutionary death of Jesus and His shed blood they are saved.

That's it. Look I gave the message of eternal salvation in less than 25 words.

But if you ask some of you what must I do to be saved then you get this big ole laundry list of stuff.

You have to believe.
    You have to continue to believe.
    You have to repent.
    You have to ask forgiveness.
    You have to do good works.
    You have to obey the 10 commandments.
    You have to walk in the spirit.
    You have to forgive others.

And I'm sure that I have left out several others. See how complicated that message is. Do you really at the end of your services or when you witness to folks about salvation do you really go into all that.

Do you tell someone they have to believe. Then they have to continue to believe until they die. And they have to be obedient. Then do you explain all the commandments to them all at one time so that they know what they will have to be obedient to from that day forward. Do you explain the gifts of the Spirit that allows them to do good works, so that they will understand how it is they even do good works in the process. And then do you explain how they are to obey the 10 commandments and that it goes even deeper than just the letter, but the heart of the matter. And then do you teach them how to walk in the Spirit. Then do you tell them that they have to forgive others before they can expect God to forgive them.

Boy you all must have three, four, five-hour alter calls. That's a load right there.

If a five-year-old little boy or little girl comes to you do you really sit down and explain that all to them in a matter of a few minutes and then say okay do you really want to be saved now?

And yet the Bible says believe (one-time event) by faith in Jesus' death and shed blood and you will be saved. There is no doubt about it. Done deal. End of conversation. Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 16:30-31

I'll stick with the simple message of the Bible. It's a message so simple even children can come to Jesus for salvation.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We don't have to, if they are "born again" their heart of stone is removed and they are given a heart of flesh and are led by the Spirit which makes them the sons of God. We for one don't baptize 5 year olds. Now ain't that nice.:wavey:

substitutionary death of Jesus. First place I don't think that is a word and second place wasn't no substitution to it He really died.

I took him at his word Bob

#39 Brother Bob, Jun 3, 2006
  20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bob they don't automatically know these things. These are things that have to be taught over time, but according to you if they don't have this right off the bat they aren't saved. Well I'm sorry, but you just aren't teaching Scripture.

Websters Dictionary:
    SUBSTITUTIONARY

Adjective

1. Of or pertaining to substitution; substitutional.

Dictionary.com:

sub[​IMG]sti·tu[​IMG]tion·ar[​IMG]y adj.

His death was real. He died so that saved individuals don't have to die. That's called a substitutionary death. Him dying in my place so that I don't have to die. Come on BrotherBob.