1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Fundamentalism a movement

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 4His_glory, Jan 29, 2005.

?
  1. I think fundamentalism is a movement.

100.0%
  2. I don't think fundamentalism is movement.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Some say fundamentalism is a movement, some say it is not. What do you think?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's always moving. Sometimes in the right direction and sometimes not.

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I voted no....I don't think "fundamentalism"is a movement because it is just a "term" that in our modern day defines what has always existed since the time of Christ...and that would be the "church of Jesus Christ",a body or group of saints that has existed since the day of pentecost that was faithful to "the faith once delivered to the saints".They have been called many things but the key thing is that they held to the "body of truth" we know as the fundamentals of the Christian faith.They will exist until the Lord returns,Jew and gentile...and then continue throughout eternity in the presense of the Lord Jesus Christ....AMEN!

Greg Sr.(now THAT was a broad brush stroke..LOL)

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think fundamentalism WAS a movement, a counter-thrust to modernism and liberalism that was battling for the soul of many denominations 1880-1925.

Today it is a remnant of that movement, with splintr groups taking the name but changing the meaning (example: kjvonly claims to be "fundamental" and is about the most liberal belief system, attacking the very Word of God).

It is so narrow that it often becomes associated just with the MILITANT few. Most of the Evangelicals today believe the exact same fundamentals, but are not willing to be identified with the Militancy/Hate rhetoric that some extremists chant.

I am moving stronger in my fundamentalist beliefs but further from any facet of a "movement" and see the point of the evangelicals quite readily.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Good thoughts Dr. Bob. You have a good point

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was a movement that has become an association of likeminded groups which has its own schisms.

7. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that there are so many opinions on what a "fundamentalist" actually is that it would be hard to say who is and who isn't around some groups. For example, I attend an Southern Baptist Church. We are conservative and see things like alot of IFB congregations. Some believe that being SBC seperates you from fundamentalism. Just my cent and a half.

In Christ,

Brooks

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I think Fundamentalism in the classical sense is a Biblical stance on the fundamentals of the faith not all of the extra baggage some groups have added.