1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God’s Selection Arbitrary?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 24, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 7
    The Believer’s Sinful Nature [/b]

14 For we know that [b]the Law is spiritual, but I am of
    flesh, sold into bondage to sin.[/b]
    15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
    16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, [b
    ]I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.

17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, [b]
    but sin which dwells in me.[/b]

18 For I know that [b]nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh[/b]; for the willing is present in me, but the doing[/b] of the good is not[/b].
    19 For the good that I want, I do not do,
    but I practice the very evil that I do not want
    20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, [b]I am no longer the one doing it, but
    sin which dwells in me.[/
    b]
    21 I find then the principle that
    evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.

22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man[/b],
    23 but [b
    ]I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war[/b] against the law of my mind[/b] and making me a prisoner[/b] of [b]the law of sin[/b] which is in my members.

24 Wretched man that I am! Who will [b]set me free from the body of this death?[/b]
    25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, [b]on the one hand I myself with my mind am
    serving the law of God
    , but on the [b]other, with my flesh the law of sin.

The point remains --

In the case of Romans 7 above those wITH a sinful nature have the issue of that war going on within them even if they are saved.

in the case of Romans 3 Paul applies it to both saved and unsaved.

Adam had no such war - no such battle - no such sinful nature -- all agree to that even to this very day.

Yet he could be tempted and DID sin.

in Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To the extent that man has choice - he has responsibility. No amount of "I should have been born on a sinless planet" complaining frees even one soul from this responsibility to exercise the choice given to him at infinite cost to Christ.

I see no way out of that.

in Christ,

Bob

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Would you be so kind as to explain to the list just what choice man had in inheriting his nature that you say is sinful and carries with it associated guilt??

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My statement above does not say that "man is to blame for inheriting his nature". NOR does my quote above say "Man had a choice in inheriting his nature"

in Christ,

Bob

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Your failure to answer direct and pertinent questions does nothing to stimulate honest debate.

HP: You clearly associate guilt with ones depraved sinful nature as you term it. Guilt denotes responsibility. You say one is responsible to the extent he has choice. I ask you once more, what choice does man have in inheriting his nature that you say is sinful and carries with it associated guilt??

#105 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  6. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Clear to me. Clearly wrong.

Sin is a virus? Christ blood is the antidote? No, sin is a choice and Christ's blood pays for the penalty due to sinners.

The wages of sin is death. You know, that thing humans naturally don't want to do: die, become deceased, become room temperature, expire... and it entered the world because of Adam.

Adam was created mortal. He just didn't die because of the Tree of Life. Flesh is mortal and was never intended to be immortal. It was not fundametally altered after Adam sinned. Adam could have kept on living forever after he sinned had he kept eating from the Tree of Life. Was the tree of life the antidote for sin? No, it just kept his mortal body from corruption.

We are not born with a sinful nature, we are born into flesh that is mortal and full of lusts. These lusts are not necesarily sinful, they just are the avenue for temptation to get to us.

We do not have access to the tree of life because of Adam. Babies don't have access to it so they are subject to death, not because of some virus floating around the world. Therefore, they will die. If they die having sinned against God they will perish eternally unless they have their penalty paid for by Christ.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Are you saying that babies that sin will die and perish eternally?

8. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I don't think they can sin against God.

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: With this clarification I believe then your last post is indeed very well spoken. :thumbs: You have some clear insight into truth!

10. bound

bound New Member

God's grace moves the heart that is willing. ~ Maximos the Confessor

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: There is a lot to consider in that simple statement. If I were to interpret that statement, the first thing I would say is that it is simply not just ‘all of God’ or pure election or arbitrary predestination. God is working and placing influences upon man in which man still has to voluntarily yield his will in obedience to the demands of grace, by willingly, without force or coercion, repent and by faith believe.

How would you interpret it?

12. bound

bound New Member

God's grace moves the heart that is willing. ~ Maximos the Confessor

I can neither add nor take away from what has been said. :flower:

#112 bound, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

HP - you asked me to prove that man is responsible (or had a choice) for his being born with a fallen or sinful nature. You ask that I show how he can be blamed for having the nature he was born with.

My response was that your question was based on a false presmise.

My argument is that man has choice in accepting the Gospel solution or not -- NOT the man has choice in whether he is born with a sinful nature - a human nature - a fallen human nature etc.

You then respond with a "I don't care if it does not have a valid premise - just answer the point anyway" kind of response.

Makes no sense.

In Christ,

Bob

#113 BobRyan, Jan 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
  14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You clearly attached guilt to the state we are born in. Then you tell us that responsibility involves choice. How can one be responsible or have any guilt attached before the first choice is ever made, being what he is by necessity with no posssibility of being anything from birth than what you say he is, i.e., a sinner?

BR, cannot you see the problem that you make for yourself when you speak of guilt, responsibility, and choice, yet have men pegged as guilty before the first choice is ever even possible let alone made? Therein lies the false premise that seems to be haunting you, i.e., original sin.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I already stated the guilt that man is responsible for is the guilt of not accepting salvation -- and in doing so all other sin is rightly charged to man.

The one who chooses to drink and drive is responsible for ALL the damage done while driving "under the influence". By choosing NOT to accept salvation the sinner is in effect choosing to CLING to the sins that they have "instead".

In Christ,

Bob

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    Your quote can be ambiguous; it also may not appear so. I t depends on the readers preconceptions. Like where John says, "... so that whosoever believes in Him may have eternal life. And you have come very near showing the essential moment that makes the difference. Allow me to use your words, to explain my way of seeing things,

... the first thing I would say is that it is ‘all of God’ and pure election and God's gracious predestination. God is working and placing influences upon and within man through which He creates that 'new man' by which he is enabled and desires to yield his will in obedience to the demands of grace, then willingly, without force or coercion, repents and by faith believes.

#116 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2008
  17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    God's grace moves the heart that is willing - First God's grace moved the heart that is then willing. It is not a case of the heart that is first willing and only then God's grace is enabled to move it. The enabling comes from God; the willingness comes from God who is first willing to through grace move upon a man's heart, then man's willingness becomes the fruit of God's Grace having been moved upon him.