1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God in Heaven presently corporeal.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greatest I am, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

God is infinite.
    Does He have a body in Heaven. Does He us it. Are other bodies allowed.

Regards
    DL

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless the Bible you use says Jesus Christ ascended in spirit form.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

How could he "sit" on a throne, and how could Stephen see Jesus "sitting" at the right hand of the Father, without bodies?

4. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I was dealing more with Genesis.
    In the Garden, it appears that God has no body.
    I have a problem with Jesus being there because Mary had yet to be born as well as Jesus.
    Further if Jesus was part of the trinity then, then He later selects His own mother. Very confusing. After that confusion I still end up with God not having a body and getting one later with the corporeality of Jesus.

I do not think a one liner will straighten out my mess.

Regards
    DL

5. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I hear you but wonder where the body was in the Garden.
    None of the other players in Genesis spaek of a form.
    As a trinity three in one God, How can He sit beside Himself?

Regards
    DL

#5 Greatest I am, Jun 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How were we made in His image?

7. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

GIAM, you need to sit down with a Southern Baptist mentor. Spend lots and lots of time with him. Or her.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You've never heard the expression "I am beside myself?" I'll be He's beside Himself about this discussion.

:laugh:

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you be more specific in your posts, you will get one liners from me, at least. You can't post and ask and then when given an answer, point to somewhere and say that's what you're talking about.

And after reading your posts here and elsewhere, all I can say is you're in a real mess.

Organize your thoughts, and then discuss.

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Of course God has a body, and He looks something like us. Genesis 1:26 (And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness). Jesus ascended to Heaven in His spiritual body in the presence of the apostles. Acts 1:9. We will have glorified bodies in Heaven. 1 Corinthians 15:42. So there in no reason to think God does not have a body. As for the Holy Trinity, we are told it exists: "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. " 1 John 5:7. But it is not for us to understand it or be able to explain it, at least not yet. 1 Corinthians 13:12.

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Father does not have a corporeal body. "God is a spirit" You can look up the reference yourself at blueletterbible.com.

Any biblical reference to God having a body is God expressing Himself "as a man" (anthropomorphisation)

God (the Father) did not "get" a body when Jesus was born. That sounds like Pentecostal Oneness doctrine. Jesus is the Word in the flesh, not the Father in the flesh.

Heaven is a place. It is not metaphorical. Jesus is there corporealy. Our resurrected bodies will be both spiritual and corporeal. There are some honest bible teachers that do not agree on this however.

God does not "look" like us. Sounds like Mormon theology. Man was created in God's "image", an image which we do not resemble since the fall.

You guys got a lot of studying to do. Get busy!

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes, He has a body!! Flesh and bone, Jesus!!! Amen??? Yes He does use it!! And yes---other bodies are allowed in Heaven

13. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Male or female?

I don't know, Genesis does not put a physical body in the Garden. The image may be the more important mental picture of philosophy. Not the physical.
    What we know of space tells us that a human body cannot live in space. If God has a corporeal form then He would need an environment that is amenable to a human form.

Regards
    DL

14. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

That's why I am here.

Regards
    DL

15. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I know I jump a bit depending on the topic. Other posters help straighten my path, sometimes the reverse.
    In this case I am trying to follow the members of the trinity as they flutter back and forth through time. Not easy.

Especially when it appears that Jesus fathers Himself.

Regards
    DL

16. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I've wondered about this passage. God is saying our image, as if there is more than one God. I know this has been thought of as God speaking to Jesus and the Holy Ghost and I can probably accept this but wonder where they got the female template.
    As to understanding, many have told me that we are not to understand the Bible. I think that if God is going to punish us for breaking His Law then we must be able to understand this Law and if meaning is hidden then God is punishing us for not gleaning His hidden message. This does not make sense and make God look unfair.
    Would you bet your life on a hidden agenda. Not me.

Regards
    DL

17. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

You contradict yourself.
    "The Father does not have a corporeal body" and "Jesus is there corporeally."
    Is Jesus not part of the Godhead along wit the Holy Ghost?
    Corporal or noncorporeal? You're get busy applies to many.

Regards
    DL

18. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Flesh and bone have needs o air and water and gravity. Is Heaven more like a planet then or is there no physical reality to Heaven. If other bodies are allowed then is Jesus the only one?

Regards
    DL

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Adam was the one made in His image and he is male. Female was made from Adam.

With the Lord there is neither male or female.

Gal 3:28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

#19 Brother Bob, Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got to disagree with you here, Brother Bob.

Genesis 1:27 - "So God created "man" in his own image, in the image of God created he "him", male and female created he them."

The words "man" and "him" are univeral words meaning humans. I am just as much in God's image as you are. Reflecting God's image is not possessing "maleness". Reflecting God's image is having a three-part (Trinity-like) existence: body, soul, and spirit. Our being the only living creatures made in the image of Holy God also means that we are the only living creatures capable of a relationship with Him. Or capable of going to hell for rejecting his gift of grace.

1 Corinthians 11:7 - "....forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of the man."

It says she is the glory of the man, not his image.

1 Corinthians 11:12 - "For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman, but all things of God."

If I am not in the image of God because I am a female, then I would have no spirit nor soul and would not be capable of having a relationship with God......only a relationship with a man.