1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is God judging America?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who ever claimed it was?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it's a regional thing - I hear it quite a bit.

For example, a survey by Vanderbilt University - close to where I live - found that 74 percent of Republicans and 50 percent of Democrats believe that the Constitution established a "Christian nation."

As far as people who believe it (other than those I have personally spoken to), the only one's that come to mind off the bat are Jerry Falwell and Dr. James Kennedy - probably Pat Robertson. If this is something that interests you, you can probably research the topic and find others as well. I'm sure many simply mean that in ages past we, as a nation, more commonly held values that were inline with Christianity.

#22 JonC, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the phrase gets misused. And I believe what it is intended to communicate is that America was founded on Biblical principles which is factually correct. What then happens is there are some who try to capitalize on the former in order to try to negate the latter. And when they do that they are being technically correct but intentionally dishonest.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont know if replying to you is wise as you are very determined to have an argument. Anyways to answer your question that you have failed to understand despite the COUNTLESS times it has been communicated to you.

I am out of a job and lack the income to pay back my debts. Even when I had a job it was not enough to pay back what I owed in this lifetime, so I am at a loss to just paying what I can. Since you are so financially well off maybe you can help.. I know you wont, but hear my words that I lack the income and am temporarily POOR.

#24 evangelist6589, Sep 12, 2013
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you for sticking to the op and leaving out the Calvinist, non Calvinist, and Arminian game playing. Yes, I agree with your statement. November 2008 will go down as a date that is the beginning of the end.

The Lord has blessed the United States way more than he did Israel, and we have sinned against the Lord in a much more defiant fashion. In other words, we are way overdue. Three things come to mind that were biggies in bringing us to this point. One is throwing God out of the public schools. The next was legalization of abortion. Finally, a work still in progress, is the explosion of gay rights and the legalization of gay marriage.

Yes, homosexuality and abortion have always existed. However, in the past, as a nation we were ashamed of them, and kept them in the shadows of society. We went from that to making them acceptable, to making it the law of the land. Kind of like rubbing God's nose in sin.

Yes, we are ripe for God's wrath, and this spoiled nation has no idea how to deal with what is coming.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

I was simply trying to point out to you that others could just as easily judge you as you judge them. You don't seem to get that.

Most of the Lordship Salvation folks I have ever met are like this, they are always pointing out sin in others, but usually ignore or excuse their own sin.

If a person must stop sinning to be saved, then we are all in big trouble, because none of us will ever stop sinning. And that is never what you see in scripture.

When John the Baptist or Jesus told folks to repent, they were not saying a person had to stop sinning to be saved. What they were telling folks to turn from was the false belief that they were righteous before God, or saved because they were Jews.

Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
    9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Did John the Baptist tell the Pharisees and Sadducess they must stop sinning to be saved here? NO, he told them not to think within themselves that they have Abraham as their father.

What John the Baptist was telling them to repent of was the false belief that they were saved because they were descendants of Abraham. John does not mention one word about the necessity to quit sinning to be saved.

But you MUST realize you are lost before you will come to Jesus. These men falsely believed they were saved because they were sons of Abraham, this is what they needed to repent of.

When Peter told the Jews to repent in Acts 2, was he telling them to stop sinning to be saved? No, he was telling them to repent of the false belief that Jesus had been a blasphemer, and to believe he was the Christ.

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

These Jews falsely believed Jesus was a blasphemer. Peter convinced them from the scriptures that Jesus was the promised Christ. They must repent or turn from this false belief and believe that Jesus was the promised Messiah, and trust him to be forgiven of their sins.

But Peter does not tell them they must stop sinning to be saved. To repent means to turn from a false belief or doctrine.

#26 Winman, Sep 12, 2013
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Was the US ripe for God's wrath when she commited ethnic cleansing against the indigenous people's who lived there first?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I just visited the Little Big Horn, and IMO, Custer got just what he deserved. In addition to what I listed in the other post as to why we are ripe for judgment, three events since our founding should cause us to hang our heads in shame. The way we treated the Native Americans, slavery, and internment of Japanese Americans during WW2.

As to were we ripe for judgment at the start of our history for treatment of the Indians, of course we were. God could have several reasons for delaying it past that period. One, He had plans for the United States in His purposes. Also, the Lord is slow to anger. Even in the Old Testament, the Lord gave fair warning, sometimes longer than we have been nation. Only God knows the why of His timing. This I do know, while we were mistreating the Indians and slaves, we were not passing laws of the land to put our blessing on murdering innocent children. We were not passing laws on a fifty state march to allow the legalization of every sort of perversion man can think of, then seal it with the official status of marriage. We were not passing federal, state and local laws banning prayer in school, or religious symbols from public forums.

God is loving, and God is patient, but He also knows how to pour out His wrath. As I said before, our actions as a nation remind me of rubbing God's nose in our sin, instead of humbling ourselves and repenting before the Lord. The time is very near.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

While I question the theology of God judging America I do appreciate your consistency Thanks for that perspective.

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did not God judge heathen nations in the OT?:confused: