1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God Present In The Lake of Fire (Hell)?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is related to the "What is Hell?" thread.

A few posted that since God is omnipresent, He is present in hell/the Lake of Fire but He withdraws His love, light, mercy, etc. so those there only feel the torment of not having God's love.

Others said that this is the 2nd death, and death means separation, so God is not there.

What do you think?

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If I am eternally separated from God then I am separated from Him. In my simple way of thinking that means that He is not there. The Lake of Fire is a place void of God.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

My take is the He is there in the same way that David said, "Though I go down to sheol, yet Thou art there." That is, the knowledge of God will be there as well as the knowledge that He created hell and the lake of fire where they will dwell forever!

skypair

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This whole idea and question is akin to asking can God create a rock so big he cannot lift it.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

Truly. It is like asking "Can God create a place that He can not be?" - However, I think the problem is actually more in the phrasing of the question than in the question itself.

The fact that scripture states it's (Lake of Fire) smoke rises before Him day and night forever (Revelation) shows that it is a place which is always before the Lord, or maybe better would be that which is never removed from His sight/knowledge, which illistrates that God is not 'specifically in' the Lake of Fire. Scripture declares it to be a place of darkness which is the absense of light. So is God 'actually in' the Lake of Fire? I think it depends on meaning or understanding one is bringing to the table to be considered.

As in 'literally' there like God upon His throne is there? No.
    IF the meaning is to refer to the Lake of Fire as being a place that God does not know or see what is going on because He is so seperated from it, then again the answer is: No.

ALL things are laid bare before the eyes and knowledge of the Lord and thus in one sense the Lord is everywhere and in another, there are places He is not actaully or personally there.

#5 Allan, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I like your answer, Allan!