1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God really your pilot?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by just-want-peace, Mar 1, 2005.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed this quote on another thread (If God is your co-pilot....) & it got me to thinking.

Is God REALLY your pilot?

What does the pilot do? He flies the plane, determines the direction, speed, and elevation that it will fly.

What does the navigator do? He calculates the best altitude to avoid weather problems (within guidelines, of course), the best compass heading to avoid the wind driving the plane off course, the best speed to maximize fuel efficiency, in general all the parameters that govern the safe and efficient operation of the plane.

The pilot, however, can refuse to follow the navigator’s instructions and put the plane in jeopardy. The navigator has the instruments to make the required calculations, but it is the pilot must follow the navigator’s directions if the flight is to be a safe and profitable one.

I therefore submit that we, as individuals ARE the pilot, and the Holy Spirit is the navigator.

We control the direction we take and how fast and straight we travel along the way.

If we are tuned to the Holy Spirit, we will constantly be receiving instructions as to needed corrections, BUT, and this is a big BUT, we decide whether to obey that corrective word or no. Just like the navigator, the Holy Spirit directs, advises, warns, leads, but just like the pilot, we must choose whether to obey or no!

So while it does sounds very "Christian" to claim that God is our PILOT, I just do not believe it. Many times I wish it were so, when the path is extremely unclear and rough, but when we put our trust in HIM, He’ll get us through.

I believe that He may sometimes tweak our handling of the vehicle a bit if we are trusting Him, but get too close to a disaster, but for the most part it’s up to us to do the flying/driving/living while listening for that “still small voice” of loving correction! [​IMG]

2. benz

benz New Member

WEll i truly need God to be the H.P.I.C (head person in charge) of my life.. but sometimes i struggle with flesh vs spirit... But it is something i will struggle with till I die...

How Do I make him the Pilot??

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish I knew! Fact is, I really don't think you can.

When you look at the lives of David (a man after God's own heart), and Abraham ( a man renowned for his faith), that tells me that basically God is going to let you do the driving; He's just going to give you the directions, and you opt to follow or no.

Yes, I wish many times He would do the driving, but I guess that is part of His allowing free will that we do it rather than Him!