1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God self-centered?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by whatever, Aug 12, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I started to say, "Of course, so what," then I really thought about this.

I don't think the common human meaning of the word fits God. Since God created man He has provided for us in every way. He listens to our complaints. He often grants our requests. He forgives us, no matter how much we disappoint Him. He knows the very number of hairs on our head. He lived like us, and He died for us. He asks almost nothing in return - just our love and trust. (I consider obedience part of love and trust).

I think He is a very loving God. I don't think He is "self-centered" at all. I think He ~is~ the center, but that is different.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

If we define self centered as God seeing Himself as the center, which is what I believe the OP was actually saying, then we can use that term. This is becoming a matter of semantics though, and causing a lot of confusion.

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi 4 Hisglory;
    Not so! Adam fell, I did not. I was born in sin. I was not in any position to fall from, and neither were you.

I'm sure that God knows He is God. He just doesn't have to see Him self as such because He is what He is.

What I want doesn't matter. It's what the Word says that matters, and it doesn't say that God is self centered.

May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike

4. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Pastor SBC;
    You said;
    My Coment;
    A-MEN
    May Christ shine His light On Us All;
    Mike

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christ came that we might have life and that more abundantly.

God is the "Source" of life and the greatest fullfillment - and when we choose to worship Him we are completing that circle of life - the circuit is completed and we are being filled to capacity rather than simply slowly dying on the vine. Our choice to worship God is then a choice for more abundant life and a more full life.

God can truly say that in calling us to Worship Him - He does so for our OWN best good!

We can not say that about our own relationship with others. If we seek to gain the worship/adoration/praise of others it does not edify them or us.

Therefore the comparison breaks down. One must BE GOD to have that same edifying result (benefit to OTHERS) of having worship directed towards you.

In Christ,

Bob