1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God the Author of Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Humblesmith, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

[SIZE=+0]"[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]M[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]en have one nature at a time"[/SIZE] post #45

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If that is the case then where did the second nature come from?

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Someplace you lost me. I was not responding to that part. yes men have one nature at a time.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

what second nature?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most people question him as well Dave. Even Calvinists, believe it or not. Calvin is human, Luther is human, I am human & so are you. Sometimes I wonder about some in here though being able to make that claim...lol

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

The scriptures clearly tell us Satan was created perfect.

Eze 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Satan was perfect until iniquity was found IN HIM. The evil did not originate outside Satan, it originated within himself.

Of course, this must give a Cal/DoG a problem as they do not believe anything can originate outside of God. But this clearly tells us evil originated from within Satan himself.

#66 Winman, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I completely agree with you here Winman, but the "gnawing" question is this:

Did that evil "found" in him originate with himself, or was it a matter of God's sovereign design to create him with that seed?

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I have my own thoughts on that, I am sure some will disagree.

How can God create anything absolutely perfect? Only he is absolutely perfect, and therefore anything he would create must be inferior to himself. It must be inferior simply because anything he would create would be a creation, and he is not a creation, he is the Creator, he has always existed and always will.

Now, I know that sounds terrible as though God could not create something good. He could and did, the angels and men were created sinless. But they could not be perfectly Holy, that would be equal with God himself which is impossible.

This is one reason I disagree with those who say God could have made man without the ability to sin. Only God has the quality of being perfectly Holy.

#68 Winman, Jan 15, 2011
  9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Interesting thoughts, will have to ponder them.

For now, I am one of those "simpleton" "free willers" who is convinced that God created man with such to give "meaning" to love, adoration and worship.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I agree with that 100%. God is love, and love demands choice. You cannot force anyone to love you, that is impossible if a person truly considers it.

If God made us without the ability to sin (which I am not sure is possible), we would not love him, we would simply obey his commands like a programmed robot. I doubt God would get satisfaction from this, I know I wouldn't.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, it does work, though I would not personally use the word "created". And it is not dualism.

Since evil is the absence of goodness and goodness is all of God, then in order for evil to exist, God had to purposefully remove his goodness from the place that he intends for evil to come to be.

That action of removing goodness is the ultimate cause of the existence of evil. That is the case even if you fully embrace the Augustinian argument for the problem of evil.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

You guys never cease to liken the physical to the spiritual do you? Yes, darkness is lack of light, and cold is lack of heat, but this is physical.

The spiritual is moral, it does not have physical properties. Evil is not something you can look at under a microscope.

You guys need to find a new way to explain things.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are so confident of your systematic theology then interpret 1 Sam 16:14-23 and tell us where the evil spirit is from without abolishing scripture.

1 Samuel 6:14-21, 14 Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord terrorized him. 15 Saul's servants then said to him, "Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. 16 "Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well." 17 So Saul said to his servants, "Provide for me now a man who can play well and bring him to me."18 Then one of the young men said, "Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite who is a skillful musician, a mighty man of valor, a warrior, one prudent in speech, and a handsome man; and the Lord is with him." 19 So Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, "Send me your son David who is with the flock." 20 Jesse took a donkey loaded with bread and a jug of wine and a young goat, and sent them to Saul by David his son. 21 Then David came to Saul and attended him; and Saul loved him greatly, and he became his armor bearer. 22 Saul sent to Jesse, saying, "Let David now stand before me, for he has found favor in my sight." 23 So it came about whenever the evil spirit from God came to Saul, David would take the harp and play it with his hand; and Saul would be refreshed and be well, and the evil spirit would depart from him.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

no one is saying that god is the author of sin!!!

This is straw man!

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

personal insults edited

#75 Luke2427, Jan 15, 2011
  16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry. I didn't hear you.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Thank you for sharing that with me.

Some of those you quote are.

Someone who can think for himself.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Apparently it makes him stupid.

Why is this behavior tolerated????????? :mad:

If this keeps up all the bb members with manners will eventually leave the board and all that will be left is....well you know.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No. Every one Winman. There is NO philosopher or theologian who does not use physical means to illustrate metaphysical truths. Not one.

You just called Aquinas and Augustine and every other philosopher and theologian in history a moron.

That does not make you one who thinks for himself.

#79 Luke2427, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why do you tolerate the absurd rudeness of people who agree with your position and then whine when people who do not agree with you answer back in kind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.