1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God unjust?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

As to your quotes from Wesley and Gill, I don't take issue with what they said. Granted, I might take issue with what I'm sure Gill may have meant by some of his commentary, but honestly I don't see them step beyond the bounds of what the scripture reveals in these verses. They never say that a dead man can't respond to the powerful life giving message of the Gospel.

These quotes only go to show that you're still not understanding my argument. I agree that man is dead and unable to save or even "quicken" himself. If left alone man would die separated from God for all eternity, I have no doubt. But you seem to ignore the fact that God hasn't left us alone. He sent Christ, the Holy Spirit, the apostles and the gospel message through the scriptures to call all the world to himself. You just don't think that is enough. You must add a second, inward, irresistable calling that the Bible never teaches.

Your wording here is a bit hard to understand but I think I get what you are trying to say. If you would go back and read my post I answered this argument by showing that Paul was NOT referring to the natural man's inability to understand the gospel, he was speaking about natural man's inability to understand "the deep things of God," the "spiritual matters."

Agreed.

Again, I agree with this.

Whoa there nelly. You missed my point all together. I was agreeing with you that the "spiritual matters" Paul was addressing in the text you quoted could not be understood by "the natural man" (unregenerates), But I was also pointing out that these same "spiritual matters" were not being understood by believers/regenerates in Corinth either. Therefore, you can't say that the "spiritual matter" Paul speaks of are in reference to the gospel message otherwise the Corithians would be believers either. Do you get what I'm saying?

Okay. But again I am reminded of Father Abraham's words to the rich man. You know, in the Bible, Matthew says something about the graves being opened and the saints roaming in the city, which means the Jews saw them, but did Jerusalem convert ? </font>[/QUOTE] What does this have to do with what I said? I asked about Christ's faith and believing in himself and you go off talking about some obscure verse that doesn't relate. Can you make the connection to the questions about Christ's faith and the verses you refer to here?

Because I disagree with your interpretation of scripture does not mean I'm blind to it, or that choose to ignore "what God clearly wrote down." First, I used to be a Calvinists, second, there is nothing "clearly" written down that supports your claims, third, I'm not ignoring anything...I'm debating you aren't I? If I were ignoring something I wouldn't be here. So lets stop the diversion tactics shall we.
    I don't find anything about Christ's faith here, I could be just missing it. Could you just point out a couple verses for me?

I assume that when you say "regenerate" you mean to make alive, or to give life, correct?

Don't you believe that its the words of Christ, the gospel message, that gives life?

Scripture? I agree that God could regenerate without means but we are not debating what God could do. We are debating what the Bible says He does. You need biblical support that says God regenerates man without any means.

Oh, God commanded it to be preached to "every creature" but he meant to say to "His people." I see, we need to get that corrected in our Bibles.

You're kiddin.

2. Hamtramck_Mike

Hamtramck_Mike New Member

I just wanted to clarify something. Calvinists think that men retain their natural capacity to understand about God/Christ/the gospel. The problem is that they don't much like what deep down they do know, and so they don't think its of any value to them. They think the "words of life" are useless words. Sort of like lots of kids are in math class. They certainly could understand it, but they don't think it will every be of any use to them, so they don't bother with it. </font>[/QUOTE]I have to call you on this one Brother Russell:

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1Co 2:14

We in our wicked, lustful flesh cannot ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever even DESIRE the Gospel of Jesus Christ unless the desire to do so is placed there by God Himself!

Yours in Him,
    Michael

3. Hamtramck_Mike

Hamtramck_Mike New Member

In this you are correct Brother Yelsew! [​IMG]

If God does it or says it, it is Just! End of Discussion!

Yours in Him,
    Michael

4. Skandelon

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

First off, I'm not a brother--it's a surname.

You're not disagreeing with me. That's exactly what I said:

We don't like it--We don't desire it--we don't value it. Different ways of saying exactly the same thing.

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

I don't think so. I think chapter two ties in with chapter 1. It's the Spirit that turns the "foolishness" of the gospel into the wisdom and power of God. The Spirit is the one who does the calling that changes what all men (both Jews and Gentiles) naturally percieve as foolishness into deep things (wisdom) of God, and so, those who have the Spirit understand what God is freely giving--they understand those spriritual truths and rightly discern their value.

It is through God's doing (through the Spirit) that Christ becomes to us wisdom, and thus He becomes our justification and sanctification and redemption.

7. Skandelon

Then how do you explain the next chapter which clearly says that these "brethern" he is speaking to haven't accepted these same spiritual truths?