1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is god's words for sale

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IAMWEAK_2007, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you still are. your very next sentence continues the accusation:
    1.) Charles Stanley's sermons are not the word of God. They are sermons which are, hopefully, based upon and congruent with the word of God (scripture).
    2.) You have a very convenient means of getting his sermons without cost to you, other than the costs for your Internet access (or do you think that his ministry should pay for your Internet access or hand deliver the files to your home?). You are under no obligation from Stanley's ministry to pay for anything. However, you are under obligation from God to support the work of at least a local expression of the church.
    3.) Did you know that many pastors/preachers are paid for their preparation and presentation of God's word. Does that mean they are selling it? If you think so, you disagree with Paul's clear teaching on the subject. Stanley would not be biblically wrong to charge you for the downloads of his sermons. The fact that he spends money to make them available to you demonstrates his ministry is not in it for the money.
    4.) By the way, do you expect Christian bookstores to give away every Bible they carry in stock? Is it okay for them to charge for a copy of any version of scripture?
    No, you don't get to pronounce the last word on the issue. Especially when it is a word of condemnation against a ministry that has been generous toward you.

#21 Baptist Believer, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Your own words condemn you!

Why don't you contribute to Stanley's ministry (sacrifice) and then take nothing from it, including "free" downloads. You will be sacrificing without expecting anything in return.

Then, stop complaining.

What you're doing now is expecting something for nothing, then complaining that the one who is providing things to you without cost is providing others with the opportunity to support the ministry which serves you by providing the same material in a more expensive format.

You are coming across as very self-righteous and ungrateful. I hope I am mistaken.

And just so you know, I'm not really a fan of Charles Stanley or InTouch Ministries for a number of reasons, but your accusations are so far off the mark that I feel compelled to respond.

#22 Baptist Believer, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Let me know when you start working your job without pay.

4. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

So when you start to work spreading the word of GOd, you expect a salary? Is that what you mean?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes - when it is your more than full time job. My husband worked 80 hours this week. How about you?

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The point is that people in full time ministry need to put food in their children's mouth just as you and I not in full time ministry do.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt has it exactly right.

1 Timothy 5:17-18
    The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

8. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

I'm talking about selling DVD's and if you working to spread the Word making dvd'S, BOOKS, LITERATURES and after sellt it, that is Business and it edifies not the WORD, but the pocket..........

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So churches should fold then. Why do they need to bring in money? Why pay the pastors? Why have a church building that costs money?

I hope you don't read any Christian books if you feel that paying for them is wrong.

Trust me - most ministries do not edify the pocket. They just look to cover costs.

I can see that you are a user. You want things for free without paying for it. That's sad.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm talking about selling DVD's and if you working to spread the Word making dvd'S, BOOKS, LITERATURES and after sellt it, that is Business and it edifies not the WORD, but the pocket..........

Then don't listen to that ministry anymore. Start your own church. Preach for free. Minister for free. Hand out Bibles, tapes, cd's, books, and dvd's for free. We'll see how long you last. And, if you do, there is someone, somewhere, footing the bill. Personally, you sound sound like a sour puss who feels guilty because you are being disobedient and don't want to give to support legitimate ministries. You are sounding like a moocher who is more than willing to receive but unwilling to give.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Do you personally support ministries with your finances to allow them to distribute these resources for free?

12. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

So that's it, GOD's WORD is for Sale? What is wrong therefore on my conclusion?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You just don't get it.

Let me ask you this: Have you given away God's Word in anything other than verbal word face to face? Have you given all you own to the poor? Have you bought Bibles and brought them to the homeless shelter? Have you sacrificed anything to bring the Word of God to anyone?

God's Word is not for sale. That's just stupid. However, our ability to pass on God's Word to the entire world comes at a price and honestly, I'm willing to pay that price to help others hear the Gospel. If it means that I pay for a book that will then allow that author to send another book to someone, then wonderful. I may even pay twice the cost so that someone else can get it for free.

So do you just take or do you give as well?

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Okay, lets clarify. Do you think it is wrong to sell Bibles?

If so you have options. There are ministries that will provide free Bibles.

15. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

Hello,

OK, for example, I am one of those paying the salary of pastor, can I or do I have the right to tell that pastor what to preach every Sunday? And if that will be possible, I would request that pastor to stop preaching about money.

16. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Because you are implying that by "selling" God's word we are somehow controlling who recieves it.

You are also putting sermons and teaching materials on the same level as the Bible.

And your tone implies that everyone is entitled to use whatever materials they chose whenever they chose to use them just because they have the urge. But you have no Biblical basis for which to argue that the spreading of the gospel shouldn't have a business aspect. The church has always done business from the very early days where all held everything in common, to later days when only the church had the financial ability to afford even one copy of scripture for the community, to now, when those who work have the ability to walk into any Walmart and buy a Bible for $6-8 or even get a FREE e copy from Amazon(but you have to pay for the internet connection!)!

You don't work, you don't eat. If you don't help pay, then you and your free Bible will do just fine. The Holy Ghost can teach you if you'll just open the book and start reading with a prayerful heart open to His leading.

#36 menageriekeeper, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Do you really want a pastor who preaches by majority vote?

Do you realise that the word of God itself deals with giving?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No more than you have the right to tell your doctor what to prescribe to you for your illness.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is the "Word of God"? Is it the Bible, or is it the words of a pastor?

If we identify what a pastor preaches as the "Word of God," then Benny Hinn and the Word of Faith people, and more, are preaching the "Word of God."

20. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

So can you figure it out now, that If I buy something because I bought it, do I have the right to complain about the product as a buyer or customer?