1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is god's words for sale

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IAMWEAK_2007, Sep 12, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You do - by either returning it or not purchasing further.

You disagree with Dr. Stanley selling DVDs then don't support his ministry.

But you still haven't answered my questions. Have you created any material to give away so that you can spread the Gospel? Have you made the Gospel freely available to hundreds, thousands or millions of people? I'd like to know the answer to this. Also, do you tithe to your church? Do you give offerings to other ministries that you feel are doing good to help with overhead and costs associated with what they do? Or do you just complain about how someone is doing something and that's it?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course. If the DVD is flawed, or if the bindings of a Bible are weak you have a right to complain.

Are you implying that if you buy a copy of the Bible you have a right to complain about its content?

I would ask you this - what is your solution? How do you propose producing and distributing books, bibles, DVDs, and the like without cost?

3. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and now it's for sale.

What is this peoples right to sell God's Word?

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quoting from John 1...

The "Word" mentioned there is Jesus, not the Bible (see John 1:14).

Your quote has nothing to do with the issue of selling DVDs of sermons.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I ask you again - who is going to pay for it to be printed and distributed? Do you have a solution?

I suggest you talk to your pastor and suggest a Bible printing and distribution ministry to give away free Bible and that you start the fund with a major contribution of your own. That way you can give away all the free Bibles you want and actually do something about this perceived abuse of God's word.

By the way, in context the verse you quote is talking about Jesus, and no one is selling Him.

6. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

OK I have to stop now. I wont argue anymore.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You never were arguing to begin with, but simply being silly. Come back when you can coherently put together an argument and actually support your side of it.

8. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

OK I really want to stop, but please explain, the WORD became flesh and dwelt among us...................

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am unsure what you are asking here and how this has to do with the Word of God for sale.

As others have pointed out, the Word becoming flesh is about the incarnation of Christ. Read through John 1, it's really pretty clear.

I have often told our people that they pay me for administrating and leading the church. I preach for free. (Of course, they then say they are getting what they paid for :laugh: ) Jesus stayed in people's houses. That was a form of payment for His ministry. Paul was paid for his ministry in some places, but did it free in others.

I am certain that very few pastors got into the ministry because of the pay. We got into it because we were called. But God also commanded us to get paid. When Dr. Stanley charges for his DVD's and the like, his ministry uses the proceeds to send the resources to missionaries and those who request them but have no money.

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John was writing to an audience that was familiar with Greek philosophy, especially those who had been affected by a destructive Gnosticism that asserted that things that were spiritual were good, but anything that was flesh was evil or inferior.

John confronted this false teaching by using the Greek philosophy concept of the “logos” (in English, “word’). In Greek philosophy, the logos was the unifying creative principle of the universe. John identifies God as this creative force/being (“The Word was God”). Moreover, God came in the flesh in Christ (John 1:14), in direct contradiction to Gnostic teaching about the flesh being evil or inferior.

The Gospel of John (as well as 1, 2, and 3 John), directly confronts Gnosticism all the way through the Gospel, for instance, recording that Jesus ate food even in His resurrected body (see chapters 20 and 21).

The first chapter of the Gospel of John has nothing to do with scripture being the word of God.

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 10:7. 'The labourer is worthy of his wages.' If someone takes the trouble to produce something, he's entitled to a reasonable recompense.

If you don't like people asking for money, you'd better cut 1Cor 16:1-2 and 2Cor 9 out of your Bible.

Steve

12. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Harsh words considering you used less than half a verse out of Luke and forget the preceeding 5 verses. Then use I Cor 16:1-2 out of context for it was concerning collections for the poor. How do you handle this scripture?

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As A Self Publishing Author.....

.....I can honestly say that the cost to get a book in print is not cheap. Then there're promotional packages, and advertising. I consider this my ministry, and count the money to publish a book as part of the cost of this ministry.

In turn, I do charge those who can afford a book, and end up giving three to four times as many books sold, away for free.

My first two books have ended up in the hands of at least 800 to 900 people (free of charge), and my third book is following in its footsteps.

I have heard from people, both those who bought the book and those which I gave them to for free, who have been blessed and had their life turned around by this ministry, so I count it all cost for the Kingdom and the souls that may not have ended up there because of these books.

So to answer your original question: Is God's Word for sale?!? Not in my case. The money I earn from royalties goes back to the cost to give books away and other things like helping people who need groceries, etc.

In truth, no one prints books for free today. In my case, my royalties, and gifts, I receive from people along the way, help to offset the overall cost of being a Christian author.

This is my new career following my forced medical retirement in 2000. I set aside ten percent, or $12,000.00 (out of my workers comp settlement) to start an outreach ministry. It so happened to be writing and printing books. I've invested every cent of that money into all three books, and the number of persons who have returned to Jesus, or given their life to Him for the first time is well worth every cent I put into this work. :applause:

In closing, I'd like to ask a question: Why do we pay astronomical prices to purchase Bibles, which in the truest since of your question is God's Word? The reason is: Cost to print, distribute, and pay those who have labored to bring a particular version to print. I'm partially biased toward the Amplified Bible, because I am a little hard of hearing, and it speaks volumes above the rest (forgive me for the pun, but it is my favorite version for clarity and ease to understand!)

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

#53 righteousdude2, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Are you new to the Christian faith? This is an odd question for a Christian.

As for charging money for materials a ministry distributes, there is nothing wrong with that. Everything costs money except for the personal sharing of the gospel, which we should all do.

But I have several (ok, many) bibles and I had to buy each one of them. They cannot be printed for free and the store just would NOT give them to me. Boo. :laugh:

#54 Amy.G, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Judas Iscariot was the treasurer of the first church, made up of the twelve. Wonder how they got the money, and what did they spend it on?

16. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I was a little harsh. However our Lord's word in Luke form a principle in 1Cor 9. See below.
    My only point is that Paul was not backward in asking the congregations for money. Nor should we be if it is for the reasonable maintenance of ministers, for the furtherence of the Gospel (that includes good Christian literature) or for help for the Suffering Church.
    I handle it by taking it in its context, specifically verse 14. 'Even so, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the Gospel should live from the Gospel.' Where is that commanded by the Lord? In Luke 10:7, I guess.

I am a Gideon, and we make the Scriptures free to unbelievers. However, I am constantly being asked by churches or church members if I can spare a Bible or New Testament for their outreach or for them to give to someone or other. The answer is no. We are not allowed to. People should support their local Christian bookshop while they still have one.

Steve

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have to say that Gideon was wonderful when a friend of mine was working in a domestic violence women's shelter. She was given permission to put a Bible in each room but she had no money so we got in contact with the Gideons and they sent two full cases of Bibles and I know of at least 2 women within the first month who were saved through these Bibles being placed there. What a great blessing!!

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you also have a ministry of providing free services to others so they will not have to pay for anything and can be lazy or spend their money on other things?

The fact that I charge for my work also allows me to do work for free for those in need because those who have money offset the loss I incur when doing work for free.

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I Can Say is....

.....amen!

20. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I agree that when a person produces a book, cd, dvd, etc he is entitled to compensation with that I have no problem I also agree that the church should take care of the poor and needy.

My question is when does compensation become as Paul wrote in I Timothy 3:3.....guilty of filthy lucre ?