1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Having Belly Button Pierced Worldly?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jul 21, 2009.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

To quote the question asked in the thread title.

Is Having Belly Button Pierced Wordly?

Maybe; maybe not. Just because this is a current cultural fad does not necessarily make it 'worldly' in that sense, any more than having one's ears pierced, in our Western and American culture is 'worldly'. (That would also apply to the fad of piercing of the lips, or any other body part, as well, IMO.)

However, I will say that from a hygienic perspective, and the fact that one can potentially have some reactions to this procedure, it is definitely an extremely stupid idea.

(FTR, so is the practice of having any piercing, although the ears are probably less susceptible to problems than the navel would likely be.)

Ed

#21 EdSutton, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  2. PastorBilljr

PastorBilljr New Member

Here's my two cents worth...

when I was a teen I wanted to get a "man's chain" (I was about 13 at the time)...when I talked to my parents about it, my dad's response was "study the Bible and when you have come up with a conclusion, we'll talk about it"

My kids are all still young...my oldest is 10, but already I can see certain thought processes going on in his mind...I'm sure I'll end up using the same tactics as my dad did... Study God's Word & Pray about it, then we'll go from there...

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I dont know what all the fuss is about. I have been braiding my armpit hairs for years and wear little pink ribbons at the end.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was on the farm we put a ring in a bull's nose to lead him around. We put rings in pigs noses to keep them from rooting.

Now ask your daughter what is the purpose and what would she do if it got infected?

I sense you have an even deeper problem in your relationship with your wife.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When they go to get a tongue ring that is a whole different convo...just saying

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ummmm yeah. Seriously.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not even allow ear rings on my daughters until they could come to me and ask me for them. There just is no good reason for them until that time. My 21 year old daughter just has not has an interest in belly button rings. My 8 year old will not be getting any piercings other than the ears. It serves no purpose, other piercings are known for their sexual value. I find it hard to believe that my daughter or anyone else daughter would need such nonsense for any other reason.

Naval Piercing Jewelry
    Naval piercing, also known as belly piercing is a very popular form of body piercing. Naval is considered to be very seductive. Increasingly, many women sport interesting belly buttons and belly piercing jewelry to adorn themselves

Body piercing was first practiced in the U.S. within the sado-masochist society, and many still connect piercing with sexual deviancy. That association certainly still exists, but piercings are now sought out for many reasons, including spirituality, shock value, expression of individuality, and simply because they ‘look cool.’ Whatever the reason, alternative became mainstream, and piercing punctured through the barriers to become a generally acceptable form of body decoration for the new millennium. Piercings were everywhere on TV, in music, and soon the stigma was gone. The media used piercings as quick way to represent a child of the tumultuous teens, filled with individuality and angst. Commercials featured thirteen-year-old girls, instantly recognizable as hip, young, sassy things by the presence of a nose ring.

There is also a study that suggests such behavior is a sign of adolescent risk takers:

http://blog.piercingmap.com/archives/207

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Umm....Rev Mitchell...isn't "naval piercing" when I sink your battleship?

(ducks and runs)

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you tied it up with a rope wouldn't you call that being tongue tied.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I just want to thank God that I only had to raise sons! No piercings or tattoos that I am aware of- not that I'd want to know now that both are of legal age.

To answer the OP (kind of...), there are definitely some problems here and belly-button piercing is the least of them.

When I counseled my kids about "worldly" things I always tried to approach it from their standpoint and not mine. I would ask them questions (Why do you want to do this, how will it affect your life if you do or don't, if you do this do you think you might regret it later...) and most of the time after they examined their motives they would come to the right decisions.

Once in a while, however, I found it was wise just to let them try something that I disagreed with when I felt that they were mature enough to accept the responsibility AND CONSEQUENCES for their decision.

For example, I remember one time when we were still living in Mexico. My youngest son wanted to go to a party with some friends where I knew there would be drinking. After going through the examination process he still felt that he should go. I acquiesced, with the caveat that he would be home by his curfew. As it turned out (and as I had figured), he was home long before his curfew. Sometimes kids just have to find out for themselves that dad and mom (and GOD) are right.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

I must admit here: I have to stop and think whenever I see the "worldly" card played. Not because the OP was wrong...rather, I grew up in an environment that "worldly" was the moniker used to say, "no" to something that was not liked, approved of, etc. Sometimes, it was a correct pronouncement. Other times, it was a way to disallow something without going to the trouble of explaining or understanding why it was wrong. It was, in essence, a "shortcut."

Not to mention, I saw "worldly" used to describe things that most certainly weren't...for example, inter-racial marriages.

So, I tend to not settle for a "worldly" explanation, because of my past. Doesn't mean there aren't things that are worldly...but I'm sensitive to the word because it was misused in earlier days in my circles.

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember being told that wire rimmed glasses were worldly because john Lennon wore a pair.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

When my boys were teens they wanted their ears pierced. Under no circumstances were they allowed to, they had to be 18 and able to do it without parental permission. Which they did, after 18 when they didn't need out agreement.
    If no ones going to see it, why get it? How are people going to see it? What does it mean in the teen culture to have a belly button pierced? (I'd go with Ann in post #8, cultural meaning has to be taken into consideration, whether good or bad)
    Not sure theres scripture that directly addresses this, but if you use biblical wisdom I think you can come to some godly conclusions about how wise or unwise this might be.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We must be of the same generation because I remember that also.

15. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Le 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Re 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

The Rev. verses are about the end times, and hav nothing to do with this topic, Lev verse is law, how much of the law do you routinely follow yourself?

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Worldly? I don't know.

Not too smart? Maybe.

1. It gets caught on things and have gotten ripped out of bellies before.

2. Gets caught on clothing.

3. Unclean.

ick.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think people pierce or tattoo for the dead anymore so we're good.

That is a specific mark of the beast - not just ANY mark. I could also point out the passages that speak of not cutting your hair to prove that long hair is the only Biblical way to go. However, that doesn't mean it applies to this particular situation, does it?

Did you know that radiation patients get tattoos? My mother had breast cancer and started on radiation. They tattooed her body to mark exactly where to aim the radiation. I'm sure that she didn't go to hell for that when she died.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It seems to me that something is worldly when it is done to be a part of the world. Doing something like belly piercing in order to "fit in" or be like others you look up to is worldly. It's wanting to be like the world. That doesn't mean that belly piercing is a sin, but rather the sin comes from what's in the heart.

I think the biggest problem with the OP is the lack of submission on the wife's part. She should be supporting her husband's decision.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And that should then be the end of it.