1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Having Belly Button Pierced Worldly?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Servent

Servent Member

That is what my daughter did after she moved out on her own. I would not let her talk to me with it in her mouth, it took about six months but she finally got rid of it.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't imagine anything either of my daughters could do or pierce that would keep me from talking to them or they to me.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Very good answers on this thread :thumbs:

A belly button ring in itself is not worldly. The desire behind wanting one is, not to mention the lack of respect to the proper authority figures in the family.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree, not much either of my sons could ever do to make me not talk to them, and believe me we've been through the ringers with them.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm agreeing with Amy here, even good things can be done with a worldy heart attitude making it sin for that person.

yep

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure, it is stupid!

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe I'm taking a different view but I don't think "stupid" is a word that I would use to describe the action.

I don't know the OP's situation or family. As a minister who works with young adults in their 20-30s we have plenty of people in our ministry who have multipl piercings, tatoos, and other body art. Aside from two or three kinds of piercing that are innately sexual, most of it is a form of self expression. There is a strong desire to have an individualistic expression that carries them beyond the confines of daily life.

If we were honest, we'd all be a little surprised at how many people in our daily lives have body art that is concealed 95% of the time (and the 5% we don't see them.) I know more than a handful of men who have tatoos and piercings (even several who paint their toe nails) and wearing suits and dress like bankers during the week.

Self expression isn't wordly, it isn't unwise, it is what people do. How you approach it is important. I've recently been reading 10-10-10 by Suzy Welch. Her approach is pretty good. By understanding your innate values, what are the results of this decision in 10 minutes? 10 months? and 10 years?

Maybe we all should ask that question.

The ironic thing about much of this self expression is that its peer driven. I'd bet good money that the OP's daughter has some strong influeners in her peer level pushing this decision. Most all of our children have peers that are stronger influences than parents. Its the reality. :)

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Self expression" ie focusing on self is most certainly worldly and reducing it to a generic "It's what people do" fails to distinguish it or provide any coherent definition.

As Christians we need to stop worrying about expressing ourselves and be more concerned with expressing Christ. As Spurgeon once said to young preachers "You can either show them your self or you can show them God but you can never show them both".

#48 Revmitchell, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

AYMAN!:thumbs:

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Could Adam or Eve pierce their navels?:confused:

11. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of good input; most I agree with and some I do not.

But I agree with one person that said be careful throwing the word, "wordly" around because others tell me the things I like and participate in can be classified as "wordly" as well.

I.E. I love sports and attend many games and have even had season tickets. I like playing all of the fantasy games as well. However, these sports and their activities associated with them can also be called, "wordly".

If you watch it on TV, it is always associated with alcohol, not very modest women, gambling, etc which are all wordly.

When I go to the games live there are all of the above plus live women dancing to wordly music dressed in next to nothing. Nearly every other person is drinking and drinking some more, there is very foul language everywhere around you. I could go on and on but my point being are my tastes and hobbies are just as wordly as a belly button piercing?

Should I just quit watching and participating in sporting events as well?

Sorry for rambling on...

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

It isn't indvidualistic if one is trying to be like others. That is called conformity not individualism brother.

You just proved the point. It isn't 'self expression' it is conformity to and with worldly friends so they are at the very least not out casts and at most, accepted. The out cast is the one who is tpypically the one showing individualism through self expression. The absense of doing the same things everyone else is doing is as much self expression as conformity is.

#52 Allan, Jul 22, 2009
  13. Allan

Allan Active Member

Sorry, whether as a christian to another christian or as a father to your daughter, you can not stop declaring truth and what is right even you are not the best standard. As a matter of fact you ARE NOT the standard the standard is Christ expressed through the Word of God. It is this which you should be helping them to not only to walk in but to know 'WHY" they should walk in it. You should be the example but you are not the standard.

It also sounds like you (and your family) know some areas of weakness in your own life. So will you continue in them, knowing they are 'worldly' and forsake what you seem to know is wrong? - this is according to your own declaration it is worldly. Why not consider being the example in this so that you can talk to your daughter about what she is considering to do. Show her there are somethings worth holding on to even if you must let other things go.

After all, you can always record the games and edit out commercials and half time events, or at least fast forward them past the parts that are inappropriate. And if you stop bying season tickets imagine how much money you get to save and use for family things and giving to God :) .Unless you think the game itself is worldly, then find something else all together.

But these are just my musing on the matters.

#53 Allan, Jul 22, 2009
  14. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I agree with Ann.

As an aside, y'all might be surprised how many Godly women in your churches have belly button rings. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't have them. Jus' sayin'.

As for the OP, this goes much much deeper than the piercing issue. It's a teen playing one parent against the other and a wife that is not backing the husband. Teen years are rough enough to deal with, without throwing marital issues in there. I'm sorry you are dealing with both.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They sure did not have much on for clothes.

16. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Since they were not birthed and therefore did not have umbilical cords, they probably didn't have navels to pierce :laugh:

17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

This practice may be worldly, and a child living under her parents' roof should certainly be subject to their direction, but it cannot be said to be unGodly. See Genesis 24:47.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Unless done for idolatrous reasons, there's absolutely nothing in scripture that forbids a Christian from having piercings, be it navel, ears, etc. It's resonable to put a personal limit on what types of piercings a person should get, but those limits are subjective, and not a matter of scriptural objectivity.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If something is worldly, then it is worldly. It's not un-worldly simply because you won't judge it as such lest your activities be judged as such.

Leading is done first by example. Are there things you allow in your life that create doubt in the minds of your wife and daughter about the depth and authenticity of your faith?

If I were to advise your daughter, I would tell her that God has spoken in the Scriptures about the subject, and that His will for her is not to pierce her navel. His command is to honor her mother AND father.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I tend to agree. Although piercing is not forbidden, children, especially living at home, should adhere to the wishes of their parents on the topic.