1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Having Belly Button Pierced Worldly?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jul 21, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The limit for Christians on anything is dictated by 1 Cor 10:31.

1 Cor 10:31, "Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well...that's kind of a complex question.

You see, first they had to find body art to match the fig leaf color...not an easy task@ But then, disaster hit.

They got ther to the "Garden of Eden Mall...found the kiosk, and then found out--horror of horrors-that they needed a not from their parents.

WhopoLW

3. Multimom

Multimom New Member

Okay, kids. I have 6.

Oldest son is 21, has 3 tatoos, but none visible to work environment, (all covered when he wears his shirt - rarely ever goes outside without one except to go swimming)

We told him we won't pay for it and we won't sign so on 18th he paid, he signed.

Told daughters, same, we won't buy and we won't sign so turn 18 and do as you wish. However, the fact that your wife is on the opposing side concerns me? is she trying to live vicarously through your daughter Seems to be greater issue is why the battle line was drawn between you
    and your wife.

Dad, you have precious gift in that baby girl and as her daddy it is your responsibility to educate her on the reality of boys and sometimes that means some really graphic conversations need to take place between her and her daddy not her and her mom.

My husband speaks the truth to our 4 daughters and while they may scream gross, thats disgusting, they also know he is being 100% honest with them and they know he has their total best interest at heart where no other man will. So even though they may not like what he tells them, they know that he does what he does because he loves them utterly, not just because he's right.

So if you approach it as a "reconcilation" rather than an opposition, maybe you will be heard.

The best thing to start out with is, Do you know deep in your heart of hearts that I love you and want everything good and wonderful for you and do you believe that I will always want the absolute best for you no matter what?

If she is able to absolutely answer you yes, then there is your foundation. If she even hesitates for a moment, you will know why the battle line is drawn, and you have the chance to make a greater committment to building a protective and loving relationship with your daughter.

Does she see you as her protector and trust you to do what is best for her? Or does she see you as a barrier to her freedom?

Answering these questions may give you a better path to bringing her around to you way of thinking.

Good luck. Girl's are hard for men to raise because female does not make sense to male.

4. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love this verse but don't you think we sometimes take it to extreme?

Can you really glorify God by playing or watching a sport?
    How about by mountain climbing?
    How about by hunting or fishing?
    Skydiving?
    Hiking?
    And the list goes on and on...

5. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, waiting for replies to my last questions?

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not any more radical and extreme than Jesus did. Not any more extreme than dying to self. There are no extremes in complacency.

Absolutely. When I do those things I am always meeting people and engaging them in conversation. Monks would not entertain anyone or be found among people.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I would have a private talk with her. Explain first your love and desire to protect her. She could get infected, these infections can be hepetitus-c ,.staph infection or any other thing (bacteria or virus) that makes conact with her open wound.
    Explain to her that you only have one shot at being a good dad to her and you are doing the best you can. Tell her if you are going to make a mistake you want to make a mistake that will do her no damage and has the greatest potential for her good as she grows into a lady.

8. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a problem with a belly button piercing, however, being the father of the house, she (both your wife & your daughter) should respect your wishes. If nothing else this should be an "Honor thy mother & father" type issue. If it were me, I would tell her that she is not old enough to be making decisions like that. When she turns 18 or moves out then she can do whatever she wants. I'd also let her know that she shouldn't be wearing anything that's revealing, so there would be no point in getting a belly button piercing. As for your wife, that would be a hard one. I don't know what it would take to get her to see things your way.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We can go on and on about tatoos and body piercings and stuff like that

but

think about this one

On Resurrection Day-------when the Lord comes and gathers our dust from the grave------and that dust is made new--------the "old" you will be made the "new" you

You will be able to stand in front of a mirror in your "New" body-----which is really your "old" body of corruption made incorruptable-------you will be able to notice-----that-----gone are the relics of the past---that tatoo that you got over at Sally's Parlor when you were a sailor----GONE----that body art you were so proud of that you rebelled against the honoring of your father and mother to get-------its GONE

Bellybutton piercings you just HAD to have------GONE

The only one who will be pierced in Heaven is your Lord!!!!

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't be worried so much about all this as I would worry about the unity in my homeā€”and I don't mean unity in the sense that the Democrats mean it.*

A house divided will fall. That is a universal, non-optional scriptural principal. The discipline of my children would be ineffective if my wife and I were not of one heart and mind.

If my house were as divided as yours (at least as the impression of division I get from your posts), I would have to place an ultimatum in front of them. They'd have to understand that I'm not going to sit on the sidelines and cheer as they conspire to push the limits of the boundaries that I have set. If after some serious consideration I'm still not comfortable with something they want to allow, it just ain't gonna happen. Not in my house. Discussion over. Their only other option would be the highway.

Sounds to me like you should be in some serious prayer concerning your wife and daughter, and the direction they are taking your family. Why are they taking your family any direction at all? You're supposed to be the leader.

*Democrats mean that I should abandon all my convictions and unite under their banner.

11. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, I think it's important to keep in mind what the Bible means by "worldly". After all, Jesus tells us to pay our taxes. That's worldly. Dancing is recorded in the Bible. That's worldly. Before He began His ministry, Jesus held a day job. So did Paul. That's worldly.

Being worldly isn't merely doing something that the world is doing, but participating with pagans in sinful behavior.

Under that definition, is body piercing sinful? Maybe, although, probably not in your daughter's case. But "is it sinful" isn't the only hurdle she's going to have to jump over. She also has to ask hersel, "is it wise"?

While body piercing, tatoos, etc, probably aren't sinful in most cases, I don't believe they're wise things for Christians to be involved in because they carry with them the image of a rebellious attitude and is that really how we want to portray God?

((And don't let her pull the "Well, doesn't Paul say that he became all things to all people so that he might win some?" gag on you. That's referring to not offending Jews by flaunting your liberty in Christ/not offending Gentiles by rigidly adhering to the law.))

I'm sure your daughter is a wonderful girl but let's be honest: while she claims that nobody else is going to see it, if nobody else was going to see it, then it wouldn't be so important to her to have one.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I concur 100% with the above post, especially on the topic of defining "worldly".

I have two daughters. The oldest has her navel pierced, and I don't ahve a problem with it. But she asked for it when she was 16. I told her she could get it when she was 18 and could pay for it herself. She got it done when she was 20 when she was old enough to be responsible for the decision, and old enough to pay for it on her own).

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

Has anyone seen my navel ring? It's fallen out again.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Your navel isn't like mine, Gibby??????? Inverted??!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

15. logoscardia

logoscardia New Member

YES! and anyone who does not see this as a sexual draw needs their head examined.--I'm a man and NOT stupid. Your daughter is not the problem-your wife is.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Being a sexual draw in and of itself does not qualify something as being immoral. Having one's hair done nicely, bare calves, and the nape of one's neck are often a sexual draw, but are usually not inappropriate. But enough about my hair, neck, and calves!!! :smilewinkgrin:

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

That's because you don't have the guts for it.

:D