1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Hell / Lake of fire a spiritual torment as well

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Roy1, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If annihilation were in view, then why would Scripture stress the fire never being quenched and the worm never dying? Mt.18:8, here the fire is not only unquenchable but more explicitly eternal. look at verses such as: Mt.12:31-31; Lk.12:10; Mt.10:28;Lke12:4-5;Mt.8:25,9:17,10:6,12:14;2Thes.1:9;Mt.25:41,46 compare to Rev.20:10. enough said.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Certainly! Those in hell will be like the rich man in the parable however with a body.

3. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Thanks for your comments.

The reason I have asked the question is that in recent conversations with a Calvinistic friend. The thought struck me that if his definition of spiritual death was correct then the dead spirit of the unbeliever would have to be quickened to experience the agony of hell.

Now if God would not quicken him for salvation, then to do it for hell seemed to be beyond any reasonable thought. I believe that spirit of man is separated from God because of sin and that man refuses to accept Gods genuine offer of salvation, therefore in hell they will suffer the spiritual, physical and mental agonies of hell because of their unbelief. Not because God refused to quicken them and bring them to himself.

Thanks again.

Roy.