1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is HTML bad for emails?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, May 20, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

(I received this from my daughter and I send all my emails in HTML...can anyone tell me if there is any walidity in this?)

I've noticed an increase in the number of messages sent to the listserv in html or rich text format. Many people are not aware that they are sending messages in html.

Besides the appearance issues html create in the Digests, there are a number of other reasons for sending messages in Plain Text rather than
    html. I recommend the following article by Thomas Gramstad -

ARTICLE

Here's the opening statement:

"Unfortunately, today some of the common e-mail clients are provided to the customer with a "rich text" setting (also known as "styled" or
    "stylized text", or "formatted text") turned on - instead of providing the user with a Plain Text setting and leaving it to the user to turn on
    a styled text feature if they want it, as an active and informed choice by the user.

As a result, many users have no idea that this feature is turned on in their e-mail client, and no understanding of what this does with their outgoing mail, and the problems that this feature may cause.

It's important to understand that when this text formatting is turned on, this means that the text one writes in an e-mail message is embedded
    in HTML code. The HTML code is what provides the formatting (or "stylization", such as fancy font types, colored text etc.) of the text in the E-mail message, in pretty much the same way that HTML code provides the layout of the text on a web page.

Unfortunately, while HTML code works well (usually) on a web page when viewed with a web browser, it works really poor in E-mail, causing many problems.

Therefore it's generally a bad idea to use HTML code in E-mail."

Blessings,
    Sue

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually did a web search and found that exact article. The last time it was updated was October 2002.

Most e-mail clients, if they don't accept the html coding, will strip it out themselves. Juno, for instance, has a habit of converting most html code into plain text. An on-line e-mail service I use does the same thing, even more so than Juno.

The only way to know if your html coding inside an e-mail is working is to do some text color, text sizing, and/or adding pictures or other "html"-type stuff, and then ask the recipient if they saw it all. If they did, then fine and dandy. If they don't, then it would be better to just send them text from now on.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sue, I send all my church email prayer lists and personal emails in html with scrolling pictures and music. I do have one person with a very old computer that won't allow her to view those messages. So...... I went into my address book and her email address, clicked on properties and set her to only receive plain text. That way I don't accidentally send her 'bad' messages.

I love creating colorful emails with music! My friend, Serena, a member here who reads but does not post, sends me lots of gorgeous paper.

Diane

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Diane: I, too, have a few people who have Juno and I have checked that they are not to receive html.

Don: I have run across some servers who cannot receive html, but as you say, they strip it themselves. If someone replies to me that they cannot see the pictures, hear the music etc., I take them off of the html list. So I guess I'm doing okay. :D

Thanks for the input,
    Sue