1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Hyper Calvinism Regarded As being Non Biblical, As A False Gospel?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Slone, thank you for your input. You're a man of few words (137 posts in 5 years). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that would be the beginning of the rift between the 'Gillites' and the 'Fullerites'.

An excellent essay that distinguishes between the 'effectual call' and 'the gospel call' and delves into the issue of 'immediate regeneration' vs 'gospel regeneration' is to be found here:

Born Again: The Doctrine of Effectual Calling by Elder Michael Gowens (pastor of the Church at Lexington)
    http://www.sovgrace.net/index.php/t...-born-again-the-doctrine-of-effectual-calling

Well said. God can regenerate simultaneously during the gospel call if He so desires, but more likely R.C. Sproul's assistant, V.A. Voorhis, hit the nail on the head here:

“When the RSB speaks in the notes of John 3 of "infants being born again," it is speaking of the work of quickening God does in them which inclines their will to Him. In Protestantism, regeneration always precedes faith and if God quickens them, the person will surely come . . .Often, regeneration and our subsequent faith happen apparently simultaneously but logically, regeneration must precede faith. An infant’s faith may not come until years after God has worked by His Holy Spirit to regenerate him or her. Two Biblical examples of infants who were born again are seen in Psalm 22:9-10 and Luke 1:15.”

AMEN!:

who saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before times eternal, but hath now been manifested by the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 2 Tim 1:9,10

The gospel does not impart life and immortality, it tells of it. It is Christ that died. It is Christ who has abolished death. It is Christ who is the life giving Spirit.

Theose adhering to the 'Fullerite Gospel' today (it seems to me) have reduced the gospel down to a 'salvific' formula whereby the free gift of eternal life is imparted. They've become no different than those Jews that Christ was speaking to in Jn 5:39. They believe that in the scriptures they have eternal life when it's Christ that has abolished death and has imparted life and immortality. It is Christ who is the life giving Spirit.

Thank you again Brother for posting. I am Calvinist as far as TULIP goes, after that I am an Old Baptist.

#81 kyredneck, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It isn't here, nor, I imagine, in most of the 195 or so countries in the world. :) (As far as I know, there isn't a single baptist church in the UK that would describe itself as "Southern Baptist", though of course there are baptist churches in the south of the UK and in the north).

#82 David Lamb, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats OK Dave....there are only a handful in the state of New Jersey, USA. Im going to check to see how many are in Canada

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Sorry I didn't explain myself better. I was talking about Baptist churches in the United States.

http://christianity.about.com/od/baptistdenomination/p/baptistprofile.htm

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Please forgive my fascetiousness, Robert. I guessed you were talking about the US, but I over-reacted to your apparent assumption that we are all Americans. It was unnecessary, and I am sorry.