1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin to clone?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thinkingstuff, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I saw a news article about this doctor in Europe who is cloning humans for wealthy clients.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have no idea what you just said

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

the bible says not to think more highly of yourself then you ought to, this would therefore be a sin

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's known as the "Show Me" state I believe. Its a play on words. Show me in scripture that you're correct is what I'm really asking.

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ok. But thats motivation. What about cloning?

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

show me in scripture that God allows cloning, or any reproduction of any type other then the one way He gave.
    man always thinks his ways are better then God's. If this isn't sin, what is.

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think its encumbant on you to use scripture to prove your point. The thing is Scripture is silent on this topic. However, I'll use scripture to support it here:

The first part is God's command to man to increase in number. It doesn't specify the method. It just says to do it. The next aspect is to subdue the earth. Which is the environment that we live to include fish and animals. I'm certain single celled animals also are included as well. In the process of subduing our environment we have found that we can control and manipulate DNA to suite our needs. Therefore by cloning we are fulfilling God's two original commandments.

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is against state law for someone not really from Missouri to use our motto as you have.

I am terribly sorry, but I have no choice but to report you to the "Slogan Police".

If you are found guilty, you will be forced to purchase a Missouri Mule and attend a Kansas City Royals baseball game as punishment.

BTW, cloning is a sin.

peace to you:praying:

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Guilty as charged! I guess I need to look up Missouri Mule prices though the challenging part is watching the game. I'm likely to cry.

10. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Organ cloning good !!!!!
    People cloning bad !!!!!
    Animal cloning has a high failure rate with little success.

I fully support the idea of a doctor taking a cell sample from my failing heart and growing a brand new replacement that has a 0% chance of rejection. And I would have a brand new heart, that's too sweet !!!! (this type of cloning is parts only, not a whole person)

On top of that, new livers, kidneys, lungs or whatever. Here we have good science, the making of full organic replacement parts without a need for a donor, just a cell sample.

The cloning of humans has implications that are so difficult to address.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which I would like to see addressed. Thanks.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dolly died from a type of lung cancer that is very common for sheep, especially if they are kept indoors like her. The news speculates all kinds of false stuff.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

what method did God give Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply? Cloning is not creating an off spring, it is not natural reproduction, it is not reproduction at all, reproduction involves two people joining to make a new and different person.
    This is what God created and gave to man.
    Anything else is human arrogance at it's most extreme believing he can play god.
    So your scripture does not apply here, since it violates what God said and gave man the abilty to so, recreate a new different person.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

people on this board speculate all kinds of false stuff, like it's ok to play god.

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the cloning of organs has its morality if you think about it. If your organs have a severe problem, does that mean it's time for you to go? Should you be able to overcome this simply by writing a check? Where does it stop anyway? Should you be able to get a new heart, and new lungs, and new kidneys, and new stomach, and a new liver, etc? Why even stop there, why not just clone an entire new body and attach your head to it? People are doing this right now, cryogenically freezing their decapitated head in hopes that they can be revived in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropreservation

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Following your logic then artificial insemination is also wrong. Because God didn't give man a petri dish to begin with. It's also wrong to create medicine because God did not give us medicine to combat illness but a immune system so its arrogant to create medicine.

God did not say you must only procreate with a woman and a man. Nowhere in the bible does it say that. If we look at nature we see reproduction using different methods such as Asexual reproduction. His command was to reproduce (which you can by cloning) and to subdue the earth (which you do when you manipulate the raw materials God has given to help clone). Based on Genesis Cloning is a logical step in obedience to God. However, if you want to say he did not give us naturally that method then we must throw out medicine and prohibit artificial insemination.

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty sure we've more than mastered these acts even without cloning.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My kids like to play and pretend they are something they want to be. Like a Fireman or a police man or an astronaut. Jesus tells us we need to have faith like children whole hearted belief in him with an innocence. Also we are commanded to be like Jesus Christ especially in his suffereing. So in a way mabye its ok to play God....

19. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you are confusing two sciences.

Cloning involves the creation of a fertilized egg.

Stem cell therapy doesn't necessarily involved the creation of a fertilized egg.

To create a fertilized egg (cloning) and then harvesting stem cells to produce organs to replace your failing body parts involves the abortion of the baby that is growing.

Therefore, cloning as you have discribed, is abortion and is sin.

peace to you:praying: