1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin to clone?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thinkingstuff, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How can you not understand I'm not advocating harvesting anything but making another baby but my exact genetic duplicate? As far as stem cell modification to complete tissue growth is a different topic. I don't advocate killing any clone. I want to know if cloning is a sin. Not killing the clone. I want to reproduce 10,000 humans that are my genetic duplicate. Is that a sin? Or can I argue that I'm following God's command in Genesis Chapter 2?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those are the "pro-murder" crowd. However, research is showing any stem cell will work.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't reproducing yourself a way to exhalt yourself? You are saying that the world needs more of you.

Yes, then, I'd say it is a sin because you are exhalting yourself.

peace to you:praying:

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. I'm following Gods command here
    and since I'm made in the image of God here :
    I'm making more of his image thus am exulting him. And thus acting like Noah
    I'm fulfilling God's commandment to Adam. And God wants to us to know its important because he brings it up again here:
    And here he wants me to multiply so I want to do it exponentially. I'm conserned that maybe you're half heartedly following God because you don't want to multiply!

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to be ignoring the part of "be fruitful and multiply" that deals with marriage. Reproduction for people, as God implemented it, was within the confines of marriage. I doubt your wife is capable of 10,000 pregnacies.
    :rolleyes:

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You're adding to scripture! God doesn't say it must be marriage. That was a way he gave us but we've advanced since then. Just like he gave us an immune system to help with disease but we've advanced and can use medicine. Where did God say only to use marriage to multiply? He didn't I challenge you to show me. I say can clone myself.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was posting about cloning a person, which is the topic. You have brought in creating organs from stem cells, which is not the topic.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But for what purpose? Don't you think if cloning people were possible, that clones would be misused?

Don't you think that when God said to multiply, he meant through marriage? It is not adding to scripture to say cloning does not fit this - it is applying principles of scripture, imo.

Even if scientists were one day to be able to successfully clone people, there is no way to get to that point without involving the deaths of embryos; therefore, it is easy for me to say that cloning would be wrong. It is not the natural process God gave us of reproducing (just as fertility treatments are not natural and involve the death of embryos).

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So what about my post is not truth?

Right now the ability to keep any specific organ alive outside the body does not exist. They have not even caused one to grow inside a living adult. The only way to grow any organ is to clone a complete individual then harvest any organ needed. As yet no one has cloned a human however, complex animals, ie; cows, sheep and dogs have succeeded. The human step has not been made, as far as we know.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, God said "for this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and cling to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'. Second, God said "be fruitful and multiply". That is not adding to scripture. There is a "natural order" in the way God has created the heavens and the earth. Cloning violates that natural order.
    I say you can't clone yourself without sinning against God.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The topic is cloning yourself...when you clone your own organs you are cloning yourself.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No you are not cloning yourself - just an organ. The idea behind cloning is to clone a person from whom you can get an organ. I think that's the question of the OP.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I won't keep going around and around with this, but if the organ is part of you, and you clone it, you are cloning part of yourself, essentially cloning yourself. I'll let the author of the OP clarify what exactly he meant by it, but my original response was I don't believe we should clone humans but organs.

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe it is ok to fertilize an egg with your DNA, destroy the zygote (sp) and then harvest the stem cells for organ development?

I have never heard that it is possible to clone without producing a fertilized egg in the process. Are you saying that is possible?

If not, just admit that what you are approving of destroys a fertilized egg, however you want to define it.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you even know what a stem cell is? Do you know where they can be found? Clearly not, as you claim they can only be harvested from a fertilized egg.

16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thing to consider is evolution. I'm well aware that many people refuse to believe that evolution never happens in any shape or form, but nowadays there's also many highly religious people that believe that microevolution (subtle changes within a species, without changing the main species type) does naturally take place and is a good thing, including the Catholic church. I'm only pointing this out because way too many people are trigger happy with the "troll" label and figured that as soon as I mention evolution, somebody else will be.

Anyway, with that in mind, if you believe that this happens... by cloning yourself as an entire person, you are consciously stopping this evolutionary process. Humans will never be able to advance past the current level.

Even if you only kept it to the cloned organs, you're still messing with this process, because now people with genetic defects that horribly affect their organs who would normally be weeded out will now have no consequences and will be able to live and pass these bad genes on.

Is this really a good thing in terms of the health of humanity? Obviously it's good for the individual, but it's possibly bad for all of humanity if you consider that bad genes won't be weeded out.

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have claimed no such thing. Why are you not answering the quesiton?

Undefferinciated stem cells can be found in every person (adult stem cells), the cord blood of a newborn, or in fetuses.

The stem cell has yet to recieve genetic instructions concerning development, and can, therefore, become any type of cell.

Cloning, necessitates the fertilization of an egg, to my understanding. If you know something different, please inform me. Or.... just answer the question....

Are you approving the fertilization of an egg with your own DNA in order to destroy the resulting zygote and harvest the stem cells for organ development?

A "yes" or "no" will suffice.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your point is taken. My initial question had to do with the whole being. However, not with harvesting in mind. However, note stem cells do not only come from destroyed embryo's there in other areas as well such as placenta. As far as gowing organs and other stems cells here is an interesting article for you to read:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0215_050215_transplant.html

So far doesn't seem sinful. What if you had a daughter or a son whom you loved very much died. What if you wanted them back? Clone them?

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have never approved of destroying a fertilized egg for organ development...and from what I gather, is not a necessity.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that it may not be necessary, or at least that is what scientists are working on.

However, I don't believe such manipulation of adult stem cells, or cord blood stem cells, is properly called cloning.

That was what I was attempting to clarify with you. You kept referring to cloning for organs.

Now we have it all cleared up!:thumbs: