1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it a sin to think evil thoughts?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Icon, then how do you explain Jesus' gethsemene prayer?

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Icon is quick to accuse me of wickedness, yet never offers his interpretation of Jesus's prayer in the garden.

Matthew Henry also interpreted this to mean that Jesus prayed as a man would, with a man's nature, that he would be delivered from these sufferings he was about to endure.

Jesus truly had a human nature and felt the same pull and desires we do. He naturally did not desire to endure these extreme sufferings as any other man. But Jesus did not sin, he chose to obey his Father's will and not his own will.

This is two respected and well known theologians that agree with my interpretation. Icon can only hurl empty assaults because they they do not agree with his concept of Christ.

The point is, it is not necessarily a sin to entertain a thought other than God's will. We know Jesus never sinned, but as a man in this instance his will was momentarily different than his Father's. But Jesus did not give himself over to this temptation and chose to obey his Father. He committed no sin.

The whole point is the will, thus Jesus said, "nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done". It is when we obey our own will and disobey God's will that we commit sin. (Luke 22:42)

You see, when folks deny that Jesus truly came with a human nature that was subject to temptation, then they deny Jesus came in the flesh that is warned about in 1 John 4:1-3. A very serious error.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus has come to earth to die a covenant death Gal 4:4 heb10:14.....that is why he rebukes peter when Peter says he should not go to the cross....get thee behind me satan:thumbsup:

As in post 39....Jesus only came to do the will of the Father...so there was no second thoughts, at all.

the sweating of blood and the prayer are Jesus in his role as mediator not desiring to be seperated from the fellowship and communion of the Father that he has always enjoyed;

He who knew no sin,was made sin for us.....we as sinners do not grasp this as we should because we are used to sin.
    for the sinless Son...this alone is what was abhorrent.

He was already in the garden moving directly into this aspect of the accomplishment of redemption.

Jesus never at any time thought about sinning, or not doing the father's will.he did not entertain the idea of acting independantly of the Fathers will.

#43 Iconoclast, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no disagreement (in my opinion) between this sentence and what others are stating using such Scriptures as, "...all points tempted..." (Heb. 4)

If The Lord had "thought about sinning," he would not be pure in his thoughts and therefore blemished.

Was he tempted? Yes, that is clearly shown, but at each point He answered with clear declarations of the Scriptures (the sword).

Did he dwell and maul over the thoughts of his mind? NO! He was the perfect example of what Paul was attempting to achieve - "...bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience..." 2 Corinthians 10).

Being "equal with God" (Phil 2) the starting point of living was somewhat a reverse of the human "born in sin" condition. He left the heavenly to take our sin. We are to actively purge and struggle against the "...vain imaginations and bring each thought into captivity..." (2 Cor. 10). Christ faced no such struggle. Was He tempted? Yes! Did He struggle against the sin nature? NO!

The natural body reaction to sever stress is called hematohidrosis, hematidrosis ... See link here: http://voices.yahoo.com/hematohidrosis-phenomenon-bloody-7117962.html

For one to assume that Christ in anyway was in rebellion or "unwilling" to face the cross, is in violation of the very stated purpose in the Word. As the Word in Flesh, Christ would not have such a conflict even as a thought.

HOWEVER, the natural body certainly would show signs of extreme stress, just as it did at other occasions show its nature in such recorded situations as His weeping, His sleeping, His hunger, His thirst, ... But, being God in the flesh, His response to these and all stimuli of the flesh would be ruled by The Word of God - again, He cannot deny Himself.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Agedman, the problem with this answer is that you seem to separate Jesus's "flesh" from his mind. The "flesh" in scriptures includes the thoughts of the mind, not simply physical desires such as hunger or thirst. This is clearly shown in Luke 22:42 when Jesus said, "not MY WILL but thine". The will is not a physical desire but a desire of the mind and the thoughts. Jesus clearly expressed that if possible he did not desire or will to be subjected to the extreme sufferings that he knew he was to experience. His will temporarily at least was not his Father's will.

Is this an evil thought? Not really, it is the natural thought of the human nature. No man would willingly want to be severely beaten and nailed to a cross, no man would willingly desire that the wrath of God be poured out upon him.

The fact that this natural thought occurred to him did not make it sin. It is only when a person decides to choose and obey his own will over God's will that it becomes sin.

This is the whole issue. Because a person is temporarily tempted by the flesh and it's influence upon the thoughts and will, does this constitute an evil thought? No, otherwise Jesus would have been a sinner for having a different will (if only for a moment) than his Father. But Jesus immediately abandoned this thought and willingly submitted to his Father's will.

You cannot deny that Jesus had a different will from his Father, Jesus reveals this by his own words.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Another example in scripture is the temptation of Eve.

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

It is clear from scripture that Eve desired the forbidden fruit before she actually ate it. Is this sin? No. It is perfectly natural for us to desire food, we need food to survive. Is it wrong to desire and enjoy beauty? No, all creation is beauty that God has given us to enjoy. Is is sin to desire to be wise? No, the scriptures instruct us to be wise.

So being tempted by natural desires is not sin. The problem with Eve is that God had commanded Adam and Eve not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. When Adam and Eve sinned is when they obeyed their own will and disobeyed God's will. If Adam and Eve had walked away from the tree and not eaten, they would have been tempted, but not sinned.

This is where folks go wrong on Total Depravity. They interpret natural desires as sin, they are not. Jesus having a natural desire for self-preservation in the garden proves this. He clearly had this desire and will, yet we know he was without sin. It is only when a person willingly and knowingly disobeys God that he sins.

It is not sinful for a man to be attracted to a beautiful woman, this is the way God designed us, it is necessary for procreation. But we are limited to only desiring our lawful wife, this is God's design. It is not sin to enjoy your wife's beauty, but it is sin to lust after a woman that is not your wife.

To be tempted is absolutely natural, but it is not sin. The scriptures tell us to count it ALL JOY when we fall into divers temptations.

Jam 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
    Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Being tempted, or having a temporary evil thought is not necessarily evil. It is a test of our faith in God. When we are subjected to such a temptation, it is an opportunity to obey God and reject sin. By this we are strengthened.

#46 Winman, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You still have not explained why Jesus seems to be praying for something that he knows is not what is going to happen, something that is not God's will. He desires that his fellowship with the father not be disrupted, but he knows it is the father's will for that to happen...How is it wicked to say he willed something different than his Father?

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

I'm glad to see you noticed he did not answer your question. I wanted to point that out, but better still I wanted you to see for yourself.

This is a HUGE question you are asking, and it will change your entire viewpoint.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think Jesus was simply asking if there was any other way in which man could be redeemed. The answer is no. Jesus never entertained a wicked thought or going against His Father's will in any way. That would make Him a sinner.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing we cannot do is project our own sinful tendencies into this account. Were we to utter those words in prayer, it would be for no other cause of finding a way to hallow our self-will, hence the tendency to project that cause into Christ's prayer.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a dividing line. Some have posted that any evil thought is sin. Not so. I think your post explains it quite well.

Every Christian has the Holy Spirit, and every Christian knows exactly where that line is. The intitial thought is not a sin. It serves no purpose to identify where it came from, whether our own sinful nature, original sin, or some type of demonic influence, really makes no difference. We are commanded to flee from sin. And each of us, down deep inside, know exactly when we have gone from temptation to sin. The line is not the physical act. The line is defined as when we do not flee from the sin, and start replaying and entertaining the thought in our mind.

A crude illustration might be driving down the road and seeing a girl walking dressed in an alluring manner. The initial look was not a sin. Looking in the rear view mirror or driving around the block is a sin, whether or not you stop to strike up a conversation. In your example, had you kept the hatred towards the person in your heart, rerun it over and over, it has become sin.

Unchecked temptation leads to sin and sin to death. Anyway, that is my take.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not so Amy. Jesus was not asking out of curiousity if there was some other method of saving men, he was asking God to remove the sufferings he was about to endure. He did not desire to be beaten and nailed to a cross to die, he did not desire to have God's wrath poured on him.

Luk 22:
    42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

How do you get Jesus asking if there was another way to save men out of this?

Folks say they believe Jesus came in the flesh, but they do not want to believe he had a real human nature. The scriptures say Jesus was made like his brethren in all things.

Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
    Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
    18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

The reason folks have difficulty believeing Jesus had a real human nature is because they have been taught that man is born a sinner. The scriptures do not say this, they say man is born upright, but goes astray in sin and becomes a sinner.

Ecc 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

If a person realizes men are born upright, then there is no difficulty believeing Jesus was born with a real human nature. The difference is that Jesus never went astray and became sinful.

Jesus had the same kind of nature we do that tempted him. His prayer in the garden proves this, his desire and will was to avoid the sufferings he knew he had to endure. Nevertheless, he did not insist on his own will and submitted to the will of his Father.

If you do not believe Jesus had a human nature like ours, then you do not believe and are denying he came in the flesh as warned about in 1 John 4.

1 Jhn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
    Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

#52 Winman, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think i have pointed in the correct direction;

12strings

The answer is found in what brings glory to God....not looking for sin, or human weakness in Jesus. When satan tempted Jesus in Luke 4....it was no temptation because Jesus had no place for satans suggestion in Him.
    satan was trying to Get Jesus to act independently of The Fathers will/
    He tried to offer a kingdom without the cross. Jesus refused to depart from the will of the Father who sent Him.....jn 6,,,jn 17, gal4 jn12 hebrews 2, hebrews 10.

To suggest that His prayer is somehow trying to wuess out of the Eternal purpose is an evil suggestion

Although necessary....Jesus did not look forward to a time of broken communion with the Father...even though the promise of psalm 16 was still there for Him. He knew what was involved with the cross, and as he said The Fathers will be done. The fact that he asks is there any other way...just shows how evil sin is...and that there is no other way, than the cross. Every detail was necessary.

#53 Iconoclast, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not only did Jesus not look forward to broken communion with the Father, He knew the agony to come on the cross. I do not mean the physical torture, I mean, something no one else has ever felt, the wrath of God for the sins of mankind put on Jesus all at once. It must have been a feeling of pain, despair, agony, that human words cannot begin to describe.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...I believe this accounts for the blood

2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

4Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If I may give an answer here on this. The reason that Jesus was asking is because according to scripture Jesus did not know everything. He did not know if there was no another way or not.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Excellent post. If we could just feel one second of the agony our Savior felt, our Creator, our God, I will bet we would take worshipping the Lord, telling others about Jesus, helping our neighbors as we want to be treated, attending church, etc, a very, very serious matter, and it would move right to the top of our list. In fact, I will go so far as to say that this would be much more of a motivator than the old idea of "if you could just spend one day in hell."

18. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Well, I think I can safely say I disagree with Icon, Winman, and FAL.

Icon: I cannot agree that the temptation of Jesus..."was no temptation." I also do not see how simply pointing to verses where Jesus affirms his intention to do his father's will nullifies his asking the Father to remove the cup that he knows IS his father's will.

Winman: Um, I don't think Jesus had sinful desires.

FAL: I think Jesus DID know he would have to go through with the cross...He spoke about it for 3 years.

I would say Jesus was tempted. He had GOOD desires that Satan tried to use to motivate him to do sinful things. He refused. In His humanity, He truly desired not to suffer (not an evil desire), but desired MORE to fulfill his father's will, and for the joy set before him, endured the cross. So I guess I would say Jesus in his Humanity had a natural desire for self-preservation that could not be provided for if he wanted to Save Humanity and Fulfill his Father's will. In other words, he had a desire that was different than his father's will, but was not sinful.

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone looked at the two words used for "will"

"If it be thy will..." is a different word than
    "not my will..."

The first is a word used for a proclamation or decree, such as a king might declare a law, "Taxes are to be paid by April 15th."

The second is a more of an emotion word used more in line such as a choice. When one orders from a menu it is sometimes said, "I would like (will have) ..."

Christ is in no way asking the Father for a reprieve, but acknowledging the stress of what He in full knowledge knows is just a Judas kiss away.

Desire and emotion are not evil in them self. Often the Scripture speaks of Christ's desire, and He certainly displayed emotion - anger, sorrow, joy...

What He did not have was the same type of fallen nature we have. He, being God in the Flesh - the Word, had full understanding and full comprehension of all that had and would take place.

Christ was not pulled by the flesh into some rebellion against the Father's will. Christ was stating the unfathomable horror of the cross wasn't his choice, but He "humbled Himself..." submitting to the will of the Father. Christ's will never wavered from the will of the Father. Had it, He would not have been the pure Lamb God demanded.

By application believers are to follow the same "will." "Let this mind be in you ..." as Paul states. In such humility, and such denial of our own "desire," the Father's will might be made manifest in us.

As an earlier Saturneptune post reflects, "If we could just feel one second of the agony our Savior felt, our Creator, our God, I will bet we would take worshiping the Lord, telling others about Jesus, helping our neighbors as we want to be treated, attending church, etc, a very, very serious matter, and it would move right to the top of our list. In fact, I will go so far as to say that this would be much more of a motivator than the old idea of "if you could just spend one day in hell."

BTW, FAL - Christ did and does know everything, just as the Father did and does know everything.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I choose to believe the bible.
    Mark 13:32
    But of that day and [that] hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.