1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin to wear jewelry & braid your hair?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by hsmom3, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

1 Timothy 2:9, "...not with broided hair..."

"Broided means:Braided (AV, Broided) <1,,4117,plegma>
    signifies "what is woven" (from pleko, "to weave, plait"), whether a net or basket (Josephus uses it of the ark of bulrushes in which the infant Moses was laid), or of a web, plait, braid. It is used in 1 Tim. 2:9, of "braided hair," which the Vulgate signifies as "ringlets, curls."

Notes: (1) Cp. emploke, 1 Pet. 3:3, "plaiting," i.e., intertwining the hair in ornament.

(2) "Broided" is to be distinguished from broidered, which means to adorn with needlework (not to plait)."

2. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, in the church I'm in it was almost a sin NOT to wear jewelry ..

For a number of years my wife didn't wear a wedding ring and it caused quite a stirr amongst a few ... 'a denial of marriage' .. 'a slur against the church' .. 'misleading men' .. 'what will people outside the church think by that example' .. 'gives the wrong impression to unbelivers' .. 'pity the poor children at school' .. and a whole heap of remarks/comments like that.

So, wear jewelry, don't wear jewelry, either way you are bound to upset some folk and be considered a 'sinner' in their eyes. My thought? be a beautiful person, and do what you feel comfortable doing in God's eyes.

Regards
    Bob

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This is not aimed at ANYONE. It is just my opinion.

I am really getting tired of hearing about the 'shoulds' and 'should-nots' from people's interpretation of the Bible based on what they 'feel' it says-instead of what God actually said.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this board, but some of them lack the wisdom to apply that knowledge correctly. If we have so much wisdom; why do we keep debating these things over and over and trying to push our 'private' convictions on others???

Bottom line..........

I don't think it is any more of a sin to wear jewelry than it is for someone to think they are somehow more spiritual because they don't.

:(
    Sue

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

the text doesn't say to not wear jewelry, though that's a pretty logical conclusion. i think there's room for a christian lady to wear an inexpensive wedding ring not made of gold, if she doesn't wear it for the sake of adornment.

"do what you feel comfortable doing" is not good advice in areas directly addressed by scripture. instead we should do what we believe god has commanded us to do, ignoring what we personally want and what everyone else is doing.

John 14
    15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

5. Headcoveredlady

6. ByGrace3

ByGrace3 New Member

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

HCL, just out of curiosity do you wear anything to show that you're married?
    I don't wear jewelry much anymore because it just annoys me, (it's cold! LOL) although I have a bracelet from China made of some kind of beads I wear fairly regularly.
    Did have a gold ring I wore just for fun, but I lost it!
    But anyhow, the married thing is what I'm asking about.
    Gina

8. ByGrace3

ByGrace3 New Member

I'll have to bow out of this conversation for a few days. We're on deputation, leaving for a 6-week trip tomorrow morning, and I don't know when or where I'll have an internet connection again. See you guys later!

Susan

9. Headcoveredlady

Gina,
    I do not wear any jewelery. As Bob Farnaby said there are some here who might say that I am making myself appear unmarried.

But, when most men see me with my quiver of children, long dresses, headcovering and van I think the marriage question is answered right there.

I am also shamefaced towards men and extremely busy so I wouldn't notice them anyway.

Just to let you know that I have worn jewelery in the past.

10. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

no. inexpensive jewelry not worn for adornment. but i may well be TOO literal here in finding this "loophole".

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

no. inexpensive jewelry not worn for adornment. but i may well be TOO literal here in finding this "loophole". </font>[/QUOTE]This statement is simply not true. Jewelry is jewelry...the cost has nothing to do with it! It is either right or it is wrong...don't start on the money issue. :rolleyes:

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Inexpensive jewelry is OKAY? You're missing the point! I have a lady in my Sunday School class who could wear 5 carat diamonds by writing a check! She can buy $400. shoes and $300. sunglasses. I buy closeout earrings off Concepts.com (made without nickel) for 99 cents. Cost cannot be included in this discussion because what is expensive for me is certainly not expensive for many, many others.......

Why not take this a step further? We ADORN ourselves with SUV's and big homes. Is my Saturn Vue allowed because it was $17,000 but your Explorer a sin because it cost $30,000? What about the cost of homes and furniture? Those items ADORN us...... by telling the world we are or are not wealthy. LOOK AT ME! See where I can live! See what I drive!

Where do we draw the line?
    Diane :confused:

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

1Pet3:4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God
    [/quote]

You do not? How strange that one writter would say one thing and another writter say another thing, and then you orefer to go with just the one, and not use both to get from scripture what it is actuially saying.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

You have to get the word correct first by using all the related verses and not pulling one out and building a doctrine around it. By doing so leaving off the rest of what God had to say on the subject.

15. Dina

Dina New Member

Amen Diane and Sue. Great post.

&gt;&gt;Cost cannot be included in this discussion because what is expensive for me is certainly not expensive for many, many others.......&lt;&lt;

How very true, and to take it a step farther, IF we were to use expensive/non-expensive as the guideline, WHO decides what is expensive and what is not? By the look of it? Alot of really nice "costume jewelry" looks expensive, but in reality is very inexpensive to buy.

The jewelry that I wear is: An engagement ring, wedding band wrap, anniversary wrap, floating heart necklace with diamonds, a watch, a toe ring, ankle braclet, a belly ring, and
    sometimes a bracelet.
    So... I guess it is plain to see that I do not think wearing jewelry wrong.

16. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

no. inexpensive jewelry not worn for adornment. but i may well be TOO literal here in finding this "loophole". </font>[/QUOTE]This statement is simply not true. Jewelry is jewelry...the cost has nothing to do with it! It is either right or it is wrong...don't start on the money issue. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]the word of god made it money issue when it says "costly array". the word jewelry is not used in these scriptures, though i agree it is implied.

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

So a woman whose husband makes $300,000 a year can wear things that are NOT costly to HER but would be more than a mortgage payment to ME?

Again, this scripture tells us to adorn ourselves first with a Christ-like spirit and to let that be what others first see.

Diane

18. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

19. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i don't think so, the bible gives examples of costly things here: gold and pearls.

Again, this scripture tells us to adorn ourselves first with a Christ-like spirit and to let that be what others first see.

where does it say "first"? there is no support for that anywhere in the text.

20. Dina

Dina New Member

&gt;&gt;the bible's command is to avoid even the appearance of evil. cost is not the only issue. nothing a woman wears should be for the purpose of adornment. gold and pearls
    imo are examples of things that are too "costly".&lt;&lt;

You lost me. No where, when I read that passage, do I see where gold, pearls and braiding of ones hair is evil.