1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin to wear jewelry & braid your hair?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by hsmom3, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

I agree! Doing what God's Word is always right. [/qb]</font>[/QUOTE]You have to get the word correct first by using all the related verses and not pulling one out and building a doctrine around it. By doing so leaving off the rest of what God had to say on the subject. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Timothy explained it yesterday that the verses in 1 Peter 3 say that a woman is not to adorn herself with gold, plaiting of the hair OR apparel.

The word adorn means decorate. If she is wearing the apparel to decorate herself that is wrong.

I see no contradiction with Paul and Peters writings. They compliment themselves very nicely.

2. Headcoveredlady

The two texts talk about a woman adorning their bodies with various things. We all know that women like to do these things. That is why God wrote that there. He knows hos women are.

I would agree though that we should place ALL under the filter of the Word of God. What you brought up brings out other verses. Like not building treasures upon earth.

What a waste of money to buy fancy jewelery to adorn oneself when we could be supporting God's work around the world.

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

excellent point.

1 Tim 6
    8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

4. Headcoveredlady

So, if we see others who we believe are sinning we ought to let them be?

I used to believe just like you and the others who say it does not matter what we wear as long as our hearts are right.

And I completly agree that knowledge makes on puffed up. It is only when we apply our knowledge that we can begin becoming wise.

But, of course the fear of the Lord is ONLY THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM.

5. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

I've thought about this alot.

A few questions come to mind about wearing jewelry in light of the 1 Timothy and 1 Peter scriptures:

1. How does wearing jewelry glorify God?

2. If the scripture does say that wearing jewelry does not glorify God, then why continue to do it?

3. If wearing jewelry does not glorify God, does that not mean that we wear it for other (non-Godly) reasons (like to decorate ourselves)?

4. If we face questions about the legitimacy of wearing jewelry, would we not be better off just stop wearing it?

Jamal 5000

6. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

disobeying any of god's commands is sin, and sin is evil.

7. Dina

Dina New Member

Please show me where this is a command from God.

8. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

ok, we were specifically talking about expensive jewelry, so:

Paul:
    9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

god commands women to not adorn themselves with costly array. if a woman does this, she is sinning. therefore, women should avoid even the appearance of this sin.

imo, we get a good idea of what costly means in that gold and pearls are listed here as being (or appearing) too costly.

9. Headcoveredlady

Jamal,
    I think you have raised some excellent points.

1. I do not think it glorifies God.

2. See number one.

3. When I wore jewelery I wore it for two reasons.
    A. Because I liked it and thought it looked pretty.
    B. It was expected of me to wear a ring after marriage.

4. I agree.

10. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i agree! excellent approach in general, i think.

11. Headcoveredlady

12. Dina

Dina New Member

&gt;&gt;Paul: 9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.&lt;&lt;

Yes, and please show me where this is a COMMAND from God.

13. Headcoveredlady

Dina,
    Do you think that what Paul wrote was a suggestion?

14. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. 8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. 9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

paul, christ's apostle, says "i will that women adorn themselves not with costly array"

this isn't a command from god?

15. Dina

Dina New Member

Not necessarily.
    In previous "commands" Paul has stated them as such.

2 other things:
    1 Timothy was written to Timothy as a letter of encouragement and instruction to help Timothy deal with difficult situation in the Ephesian church.

1 Timothy 2 were instuctions for WORSHIP.

16. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Dina,

I must agree with tim1969 on 1 Timothy 2:7-8. I think it is a command, but in the sense that Timothy recognized that Paul knew better about the issues at hand than he did. Paul was the apostle, not Timothy.

I suppose if Paul did not explicitly say that his instructions are suggestions, we may be better off just taking them as commands.

[​IMG]

17. Dina

Dina New Member

Well then. I guess we agree to disagree.

I do not see wearing jewelry, or braiding ones hair as a sin or evil.

18. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Not necessarily.
    In previous "commands" Paul has stated them as such.
    </font>[/QUOTE]to go against paul's will, written under the perfect inspiration of the holy spirit, as christ's apostle and teacher for those under his care, is to go against the will of god.

2 other things:
    1 Timothy was written to Timothy as a letter of encouragement and instruction to help Timothy deal with difficult situation in the Ephesian church.

you need to prove your assertion from the text.

but, even if true, does that mean we can ignore whatever parts of it we don't like?

1 Timothy 2 were instuctions for WORSHIP.

you need to prove your assertion from the text.

but, even if true, do you really think what god is commanding is that women's adornment should be good works, shamefacedness and sobriety but only in the church building?

19. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i agree. i think at this point we'd just be repeating ourselves.

20. Dina

Dina New Member

&gt;&gt;to go against paul's will, written under the perfect inspiration of the holy spirit, as christ's apostle and teacher for those under his care, is to go against the will of god.&lt;&lt;

IMO, that is putting Paul on the same level as God. Pual's will=Command from God??

&gt;&gt;2 other things:
    you need to prove your assertion from the text.&lt;&lt;

From the text, we know it is a letter to Timothy-2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.-

we also know that Timothy is in Ephesus and was urged to stay there to preach against false teachers, people devoted to myths, and endless geneologies-3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
    4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.-

&gt;&gt;even if true, does that mean we can ignore whatever parts of it we don't like?&lt;&lt;

I am not ignoring parts of the text that I do not like. I am simply putting it in the perspective of which it was written.

&gt;&gt;1 Timothy 2 were instuctions for WORSHIP.
    you need to prove your assertion from the text.&lt;&lt;

From the text we know that 1 Timothy is instructions to a "church" that Timothy was the "pastor" of. Without getting into a "version debate" I can not prove that it was Instructions for public worship, but I am confident in my assertion of that.

&gt;&gt;but, even if true, do you really think what god is commanding is that women's adornment should be good works, shamefacedness and sobriety but only in the church building?&lt;&lt;

No, I think Paul is saying specifically not to "adorn" ourselves to put on a fashion show for chuch. But I do not think that means that we can not look "nice" for church.

1 Timothy 2:9 :: King James Version KJV
    In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

modest.
    1 a : placing a moderate estimate on one's abilities or worth b : neither bold nor self-assertive : tending toward diffidence
    2 : arising from or characteristic of a modest nature
    3 : observing the proprieties of dress and behavior : DECENT
    4 a : limited in size, amount, or scope b : UNPRETENTIOUS &lt;a modest cottage&gt;
    synonym see SHY, CHASTE

shy
    1 : easily frightened : TIMID
    2 : disposed to avoid a person or thing &lt;publicity shy&gt; &lt;book-shy children&gt;
    3 : hesitant in committing oneself : CIRCUMSPECT
    4 : sensitively diffident or retiring : RESERVED &lt;a shy seclusive person&gt;; also : expressive of such a state or nature &lt;spoke in a shy voice&gt;
    5 : SECLUDED, HIDDEN
    6 : having less than the full or specified amount or number : SHORT &lt;just shy of six feet tall&gt; &lt;the stew is a little shy of seasoning&gt;
    7 : DISREPUTABLE &lt;gambling hells and shy saloons -- Blackwood's&gt;
    synonyms SHY, BASHFUL, DIFFIDENT, MODEST, COY mean not inclined to be forward. SHY implies a timid reserve and a shrinking from familiarity or contact with others &lt;shy with strangers&gt;. BASHFUL implies a frightened or hesitant shyness characteristic of childhood and adolescence &lt;a bashful boy out on his first date&gt;. DIFFIDENT stresses a distrust of one's own ability or opinion that causes hesitation in acting or speaking &lt;felt diffident about raising an objection&gt;. MODEST suggests absence of undue confidence or conceit &lt;very modest about her achievements&gt;. COY implies an assumed or affected shyness &lt;put off by her coy manner&gt;.

chaste.
    1 : innocent of unlawful sexual intercourse
    2 : CELIBATE
    3 : pure in thought and act : MODEST
    4 a : severely simple in design or execution : AUSTERE &lt;chaste classicism&gt; b : CLEAN, SPOTLESS
    synonyms CHASTE, PURE, MODEST, DECENT mean free from all taint of what is lewd or salacious. CHASTE primarily implies a refraining from acts or even thoughts or desires that are not virginal or not sanctioned by marriage vows &lt;they maintained chaste relations&gt;. PURE differs from CHASTE in implying innocence and absence of temptation rather than control of one's impulses and actions &lt;the pure of heart&gt;. MODEST and DECENT apply especially to deportment and dress as outward signs of inward chastity or purity &lt;preferred more modest swimsuits&gt; &lt;decent people didn't go to such movies&gt;.

shamefaced
    1 : showing modesty : BASHFUL
    2 : showing shame : ASHAMED