1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it a sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found a very interesting question on FB!

Is it a sin for a married couple to use any kind of Birth Control?

Open for discussion

NOTE:
    C vs A and KJO is NOT permitted on this thread!

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I’ve heard that Catholics believe that.I guess they take the command to “be fruitful and multiply” quite seriously.

I don’t really know enough about how the “pill” works. If it keeps a woman from sending an “egg” into the womb may be one issue. If it keeps a fertilized egg from implanting in the womb, then it’s abortion.

It would be interesting to read what women think about it, if there are any left on this board.

peace to you

3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it is not necessarily sin, but it could be depending on the method used. ALL abortion is sin/murder regardless whether it is surgical or chemical.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The birth control pill, Despite being small in size, birth control pills pack a punch in preventing pregnancy! This occurs through several mechanisms, mainly by stopping ovulation; when ovaries don't release eggs, --- thus it does not end a new life.

The morning after pill may or may not destroy a newly fertilized leg
    .How Does it Work? - Morning After Pill

6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it matters what women think about it. What matters is what God teaches and there is no teaching against birth control unless it destroys an already life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like to get the view of someone who actually uses “birth controls”.

Would it be a sin for a man to get the vasectomy? Since they are deliberately preventing pregnancy? I’m not sure, but I think some would say that is sinful.

peace to you

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    RCC says it is a sin - but remember - when the RCC sprinkles a baby - he then is listed as a member of the RCC.
    more babies - more members....

Canadyjd - great question - a man getting a "V" is the same as a women using birth control.

But lets keep one thing in mind.

150 years ago, children were an assest - ie working on the farms, ect
    but in this day and age - children are a liability - and cost a lot more!

9. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anywhere in the Bible say it is a sin? No, I don't think so (depending on the type of control obviously). But the Bible also says be fruitful and multiple. So I think it is ok to use it for a season, but not indefinitely.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblically speaking, children are a blessing from God and should never be considered a liability.

However, I do understand the point you made. Children were seen as another worker for the family farm.

Today, I hear people joke children are another benefit when filing taxes.

peace to you

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some birth control prevents fertilized egg from. Attaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like "meat dedicated to idols" or "holding one day special vs every day alike", would the REASONS not also play a part.

My wife almost died having our only daughter (following a prior life-threatening miscarriage) and we were warned that another pregnancy, while medically unlikely, would far more likely be fatal ... does that impact this discussion?

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree -- BUT should we think enough is enough - for example - should a couple have - say 24 kids?
    Now, on one hand - if they can afford the kids - fine - but if the family is on welfare - do have a responsibility NOT to have more children?

Excellent question ! Some would say - "have faith in God" I tend to think we normally should heed to sound medical advice.

It is estimated that raising a child can cost over $200,000!
    That more than 10 grand every year.

So are we being good stewards if we are not providing for our children?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where the Scriptures are silent both by statement and example, then there is no sin.

Birth control can be used to sin is shown in the Scriptures where one “spilled the seed” to prevent a pregnancy. But the cause of prevention was wrong, so the sin was not in spillage, but in rebelliousness.

The same occurs when one engages in birth control to engage in desires of the flesh of any rebelliousness. It is sin.

God has instituted and used the medical field to His purpose, so if birth control is medically necessary, then no sin for there is preserving of life. A principle is that the husband and wife must always consider the needs of the other more then their own.

In a single woman, birth control may be helpful in various medically significant areas.

The principle for birth control then is found in what is the desires one has toward the things of Christ and not the desires of the fulfillment of the desire of the flesh.

One side note:

I know of a single woman who as a nurse occasionally travels to various areas to give medical aid and the gospel.

She does take birth control in case she is captured and assaulted.

She also has refused marriage because she does not want the burden of family to hinder her if God’s providence is she give her life in the witness of Him.

So there are more reasons to take birth control then convenience.

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it does, imo. I am against abortion with the exception of the life of the mother being endangered beyond the risks of a normal pregnancy. No one can be expected to risk their life for another.

That said, I’m sure your doctor has suggested ways that would prevent pregnancy.

BTW, continued use of hormonal therapies (the pill) can have harmful effects on a woman’s health, according to my wife’s doctor.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many have suggested that Yes it is.

I know Spurgeon, Calvin, the Puritans and Luther as examples believed that it was killing the unborn

17. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are fishing in the wrong pond. It does not matter what someone thinks. What matters is what scripture says. If birth control destroys a life then birth control, no matter what form, is sin because it is murder. Whether or not someone that uses birth control thinks one way or the other has absolutely nothing to do with it.

What we absolutely know is that murder is sin. A vasectomy NEVER destroys a life so there is no comparison. There is not a single passage in scripture that anyone can point to in honesty that would bring someone to believe that getting a vasectomy is sin. Is it sin for a woman to have a hysterectomy? NO! Those who hold that a vasectomy is sin have no bases to stand on except their own Parasitical view.

18. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abortion is sin/murder regardless the reason we try to use to cover it up. As believers we should be telling our Doctors to do all you can to save the child and all you can to save the baby and let God choose the outcome. NEVER murder the baby just because it may be a problem pregnancy. Have you ever asked why we do not murder the mother to save the child? Because it is MURDER?SIN! The same applies to an unborn child.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. There are some pregnancies that have no potential success (tubal pregnancies for example).

In the case given above, the woman nearly died in child birth and her doctor told her she would certainly die if she attempted to take another pregnancy to term.

It is not murder, imo, if the pregnancy endangers the mother’s life, as in that case. No one can be expected to risk their life for another, even if it’s their child.

Peace to you

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    FTR, I didn’t say a vasectomy was sin, I ask if anyone thought it was.

That said, I tend to agree with you that the defining fact is whether the fertilized egg is destroyed, which equals abortion.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1