1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it any good too use?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by KobrinFamily, Dec 15, 2011.

1. KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily New Member

I have a KJV of the Bible that I found in a box in my basment it is from the LDS its a nice little Bible, I just didnt know if the KJV the LDS uses is any diffrent then any other copy of the KJV please let me know.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Believe that the Mormons still use "just" the KJV for a Bible, no change to that, but would just tend to use it when witnessing to them!

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

If it's the King James, there should be nothing wrong with using it. However, the Mormons do (as far as I know) have their own book that they place along-side of the Bible claiming it is a "third testament".

4. KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily New Member

Yes its called the book of Mormon which in not included in this KJV (As some are) I think I will use this one for study, Its a nice little one...Light weight!

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

I know for many years the LDS church would advertise free King James Bibles to anyone who called and asked for one. What they did not tell you was they were not mailed out but were delivered in person by one of their missionary teams. They may still do this, I don't know. Anyway, I would guess that is where that one came from.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I assume it has mention of the LDS on the bible someplace. If so and it cannot be removed I would discard it so as not to take a chance of confusing a new believer or someone who is not a believer into thinking that there is some virtue in the LDS teachings and they start looking at their material. In other words if all reference to the LDS cannot be removed don’t take a chance of causing another to stumble. Burn it.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You must be convinced in your own mind whether or not you are comfortable in using this particular Bible. If not, discard this Bible and don't allow it to become a distraction or a controversy within your home or in your mind.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not burn a King James Bible just because it had Latter Day Saints written on one of the front pages or title page. I would just tear that page out and either use the Bible, myself, or give it to someone else.

9. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I have to agree with Free on this one. I would assume that it is marked as a "LDS" Bible; the last thing that you want to be is a walking billboard for the LDS church. You could accidentily lead another astray.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Put a Bible cover on it. Put a school book type paper cover on it. Or, even if you have to use black duck tape to "make" a cover for it. Can't see burning a Bible, when so many don't have one.

If you prefer not to read the KJV, remove/cover the LDS references and give the Bible to someone else. What better to put in a box of food for a needy family? Or, give to a soup kitchen, or in a care package to support our troops.

Or, leave it as is and donate to the church library.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

good answer to this OP...

We have nothing to fear from it, IF we are realising that there is nothing about it dangerous to a saint walking with God...

IF young in the faith though, or concerned about it being Mormon item, would just put it away..

12. KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily New Member

I belive there is just a page in the frount that could easly be taken out, I have thumbed threw it too see if there is much diffrence between my KJV and it and I do not see anything out of the ordaniry.

13. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like I remember reading something on this subject somewhere else once and if memory serves me correctly there is a difference with the LDS KJV. I'll see if I can find out anything on it and get back on this. I very well may be mistaken.

I have traded for a couple of NWT, one from a guy in jail, I gave him a KJV for it. Another was from a hispanic guy, I gave him a bible with both KJV english and spanish all in one.

Dell

14. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

I scanned the web and even went to the Tanners sites to see if I could find anything, but from what I went over there seems to be no difference. I figured if anyone knows the Tanners know. For those that have never heard of the Tanners, they are the "Go to" folks on anything Mormon. They were raised Mormon and now speak out against them. They probably know more about the Mormons than the Mormons know about the Mormons.

15. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

This bible doesn't have footnotes and annotations that refer to the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price? Most LDS bibles I have seen do have these cross references.

16. KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily New Member

Yes the one I have has no foot notes or anything just the scriptures that I can see