1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it bad to go to Church on Sundays, why do some now say its Saturday only ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 27, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Is it bad to go to Church on Sundays, why do some now say its Saturday only ?

Like, many say its Pagan to go to Church on Sundays because it symbolizes the Sun God instead of Christ. Although we are there to worship God, the Devil is the one taking the worship simply because we are doing it on Sunday and it symbolizes the Sun God.

I dont know, but arent we supposed to worship God 24/7 every single day. Why are people so focused on only worshiping him one day out of the week. Dont Get this Sabbath stuff?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From my understanding, there are those who feel that since the Sabbath is Saturday, we need to go to church on Saturday. However, the early church would celebrate the Lord's Day - the first day of the week in addition to the Sabbath.

But I agree with you - EVERY day is the Lord's Day. I think that it's important to set aside a day for corporate worship, fellowship and teaching. We do that on Sunday. I have no reservations in my mind that it is what God desires.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, Saturday honors the god Saturn, so it's just as bad as Sunday.

That argument is obviously very ignorant. They must not know or take the time to research and find out that every day of the week is named after a god or planet that is also a god.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I didn't know going to church was bad.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is what Paul had to say.

Col 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
    Col 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

The sabbath was a shadow of the rest (from works of the law) that we have in Christ. He is our sabbath.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

99% of Christians worship on Sunday. Only the other 1% worship on Saturday.

7. targus

targus New Member

99% is pretty high.

Judging from the low showing on Sundays compared to the membership lists it's probably more like 50% worship on Sundays and 49% sleep in.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

9. trustitl

trustitl New Member

A few people have used the word worship when talking about believers getting together. Can somebody show me where Christians are told to get together to worship, much less to do it on a certain day?

10. Reformer

Reformer New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh how I love it when the truth is so humorous..... I guess I must be really Pegan because I would love to have church 7 days a week

Reformer

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here's why I say it's 'Sats' - "Sabbaths", ONLY:

Ironic that it is 'The Lord's Day' singular, and not all, 'Lord's days' - plural!

The Lord's Day is pinpointed accurately and originally here, so that nobody shall have excuses: "In the Sabbath's fullness of daylight it being", Matthew 28:1. It, that time, came as judgment day; it is coming again as judgment day; it presently presents itself every day "The Seventh Day the Sabbath of the LORD your God" as judgment day. Be not be mistaken; be warned!

It is impossible to translate 'kyriakeh hehmera' with a Plural, not only because of exact rules of Greek grammar and idiom, but from the nature of this day the Lord's Day being the specific Day of His Lordship obtained:- through His Triumph "In the Sabbath" of His resurrection from the dead. The truth of or about the Sabbath of the LORD your God starts with Christ, in Him, and through Him. Jesus Christ is "The Beginning of the creation of God".
    The Sabbath UNMISTAKEABLY SINCE CHRIST is 'The Lord's' one and only 'Day', defined, "The Seventh Day God thus concerning spake". For our ears in our age: 'Saturday'. "I hate YOUR, (so called) 'sabbaths', says God; 'sabbaths' of the invention of men fearlessly called, 'Sundays' as were it, 'The Lord's Day'!

Sorry for the mixed up font size; I can't get it right.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And is there anything bad about Sunday? Not 'normally'. But religiously in Christian sense 'religiously' in fact, yes, and here's why: "You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain."

Exactly! In vain! So, What were these 'times'? Here is their definition given by Paul himself: "You returned to your former (PAGAN) miserable first elements of not-gods (stoicheia), you by observation superstitiously worship (paratehreoh) them, days, months, seasons, years.

The heathen used to call Sunday the Queen of these idolatrous days, We Christians exchanged God's Sabbath Day for her.

#12 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Sabbath, that is, "The Seventh Day God thus concerning spake: And God (in and through Christ) the Seventh Day rested from all His works" (Where else than in the resurrection of Christ from the dead? Read Eph1:19 to the chapter's end.), is the 'right' day of Christian Worship-Rest, 'The Lord's Day', because:
    Jesus Christ is the Word and Law of God to Christians, Living and Present! Christ exalted the Sabbath Day in that He exalted the Father and the works of the Father "I come to magnify thy Law" ... God is glorified and magnified in Jesus Christ.

Christ honoured no other day for whatever reason, but the Sabbath for being God's appointed Day wherein to honour and glorify the Son.

Therefore did Jesus honour the Sabbath by saving life on the Sabbath, by conquering evil on the Sabbath: always with the eye on the Ultimate Saving Work of God through Him by raising Him from the dead IN THAT GOD THUS RESTED. Genesis tells the SAME story of redemption the Gospels tell.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The meter of the Song of Moses and the Lamb is seven; its rythm is punctuated every Seventh-Day-Sabbath-of-the-LORD-your-God. You ask me why? I can't tell you why except so God composed it because so God willed it and so God loved His Own Song of Redemption. That's why it's GOOD to go to Church to worship our Saviour God -- to be in rythm and in harmony with our Conductor. Swell the chorus! Raise the cymbal.

God's music is not cacophonic or out of time. I attended a charismatic church once and they repeated some songs over and over until at last they got the Holy Spirit's approval or something and on that second the orchestra of excellent musicians collapsed into discord and disorderly noise. I am a very good appreciator of music; that moment I recoiled horified. God's music and God's Song of Love does not go like that.

#14 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 28, 2008
  15. trustitl

trustitl New Member

And now some new thinking on why to honor the Old Covenant Sabbath.

Please refrain from mocking Gerhard for thinking like this. He means well.

16. grace56

grace56 New Member

It seems to me the ones who insist on a Saturday Sabbath, are still waiting for their Messiah. They didn't reconise Him when He came, there eyes were and are still blinded.

Ginny

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's 1/4 of a century since I last practiced my music. I'm more 'exegesis-fit' these days.

From the first post of this thread all of them, I hereby challenge on the principle of 'Sola Scriptura'. And I put my pre-conclusion on the table, every one of them not pro-Seventh Day Sabbath Lord's Day, have NO Scriptural basis. I care not WHO posted which. I have answered them all and each, scholarly as no one else in the history of doctrine of the Church has done. I say this, and shall conclude what I here have said, with this, from Calvin:
    "For the more we are afflicted by adversaries, the more surely our fellowship with Christ is confirmed."

The changes of mind I have made in my life, are plenty, and no one easy. I can give reason for what I believe, before men in sympathy with me; before scoffers at me; before any my superior in every way; before everyone my inferior in any way, and honour Christ in humbleness of heart and full consiousness of guilt and sinfulness - I'm talking about MY guilt and sinfulness and falling short eternally. "In Christ", "by grace", "through faith", "according to the Scriptures" I shall speak, or hold my peace!

#17 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 28, 2008
  18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    You are talking in riddles. How do you explain your own riddle? I don't see Scripture in your riddle; shall I see it in your explanation?

19. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Who's talking in riddles?

Gerhard Ebersoehn "The meter of the Song of Moses and the Lamb is seven; its rythm is punctuated every Seventh-Day-Sabbath-of-the-LORD-your-God. You ask me why? I can't tell you why except so God composed it because so God willed it and so God loved His Own Song of Redemption. That's why it's GOOD to go to Church to worship our Saviour God -- to be in rythm and in harmony with our Conductor."

Gerhard Ebersoehn Here's why I say it's 'Sats' - "Sabbaths", ONLY:
    Ironic that it is 'The Lord's Day' singular, and not all, 'Lord's days' - plural!

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The Lady do got a point!

Good point. :thumbs:

Ed