1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is it just me

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by massdak, May 8, 2004.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

or has others noticed a change in how churches are giving the gospel?
    i see a lot of debate now on how altar calls and methods from liberal churches are being rejected by some and a dividing line is now being made more clear on the biblical duty of the church. many are seeing that sunday service is not just a man made manipulation of altar calls but it is for the believer in Christ which in turn is to go out and give the gospel. do some agree?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t visit many other Baptist churches because I am too involved with my own.

I’ve never heard anyone allege that the practice of giving “altar calls” (sic) is a “liberal” method… or did I misunderstand you?

I didn’t know that any doctrinally-sound God-honoring church believed otherwise. My only experience with churches that use manipulation for “altar calls” (sic) have been hardcore fundamentalist churches and ministries.

3. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Just read this board and see for yourself. No Personal separation, No Biblical Doctrine and No Bible..... what do you expect?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church rejected the "invitation system" when we refuted finneyism. I think you've hit on a valid point. Some churches manipulate or focus all of the service on the invitation.

Sadly, "liberal" churches have no invitation (and often no gospel message at all). EVERY presentation of the Word should have an invitation; just not the nonsense we label an "altar call".

So the error is both ways - hyper fundies and liberals. Many churches ARE getting back to a more centrist, balanced position.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While all the churches I’ve been involved with since my childhood still give traditional “invitations”, none of them used manipulation except for a hardcore fundamentalist church that I served in my first year of seminary. I saw firsthand the destructive effect it had on Christian discipleship. :(

I agree. While my church doesn’t always sing a hymn and invite people to the front in every worship setting, the pastor or visiting preacher always makes themselves and the other staff and deacons available to speak with anyone who will like to talk after worship. However, there is always a “formal” invitation at both of our Sunday morning services.

That’s certainly good news for the Kingdom. [​IMG]

6. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i have seen preachers act as if there is a time limit from the time they have given an altar call and the preacher makes it seem as if the last verse of "just as i am" to make a physical move to the front of the auditorium is part of the salvation call.
    does this happen in fundamental churches? yes i think it does. i believe it is manipulation to dim the lights and make it an emotional plea. i believe the focus is mixed and that it is not biblical but a simple invite to Christ is what is needed. can you imagine all the people that would have to lean on Christ if they stay seated and focus on Christ? but sadly many false assurance is given on the act of going forward. many give thanks for the event and the date in which they went forward.

7. glorybound012001

Personally I like a Church that preaches from the Bible.If your not preaching the Word than all you are doing is giving a feel good message to people who only want fire insurance instead of real salvation.When an invitation is given it is an appeal to make people think that there is nothing they have to do to have salvation.We tell them that all they have to do is believe and have faith.Goodness don't tell them that they have to REPENT from there sins.That might scare them away and we would't have has many in the pews then.After all it is all about the numbers.Isn't it?

8. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

We're starting on Wednesday nights with the youth to just say to those who are not followers of Christ (and there are a good number of them) that if they have a question on how to be a follower of Christ, they can either ask the person who brought them or come up to one of the adults in the room afterwards. It's very cool when a friend can lead another person to Christ. No altar call, especially when that idea is completely foreign to someone outside of the church culture.